Who are they?

I am just interested in how people tick, so I have wondered how the Kiwi boatbuilders flown over to help Oracle will actually feel if NZ lose...and if we win will they join in the celebrations?

well I guess this is the formal position for the industry, overall the marine industry has suffered as a result of losing the cup and the efforts of those who contributed to that outcome...

Emirates Team New Zealand's defeat at the hands of Oracle is a blow for this country's boatbuilding businesses and Government backing for a future America's Cup challenge will be crucial for the local marine sector, says an industry group boss.

The NZ Marine Industry Association had set a goal of doubling exports of marine technology and equipment to $1.3 billion by 2020.

But reaching that target was dependent on the cup's return to Auckland, which was expected to provide a boost for an industry that has been badly affected by the strong kiwi and global economic downturn.

Peter Busfield, the association's executive director, said Team New Zealand's loss would make achieving that goal a lot more difficult.

"We've lost a huge opportunity," he said. "Bringing back [the cup] would have been the second-best thing to holding an Olympic Games in New Zealand."

I don't think having the cup back here is the death knell that its cracked up to be.

There will still be Kiwis out there, selling our sails, boats, and boat bits, there will still be Kiwi sailors in all the camps.

As long as the government keep conditions right here for export, we will be in the money.

Don't forget we sell our aviation expertise to the world too, there are numerous warbirds projects going on here, because of the reputation NZL has out in the market place, and the quality of the products delivered.

I don't think having the cup back here is the death knell that its cracked up to be.
Agree. Far from it and if the industry was that fragile it needs a AC win then it may as well be put to death and get it all done and dusted.

It's been through AC defence before and that was back in the days when the AC was a bigger more followed event than it is these days. Some did very nicely thank you, some did OK, most didn't notice feck all change and some when splat.

If the AC stays as is the aircraft industry is the one who should be barrow pushing. Google Ekranoplan (spelling) and tell me a AC72 isn't closer to one of those than a real yacht. You should find something Russian.

The boat building industry hasn't lost anything by us not winning the cup, it just hasn't gained anything from it.

You have to wonder what the government thinks of the boat building industry. I have been told they gave Core boat builders a $1m grant to buy a milling machine which is used for their dagger boards.

Being 100% owned by Larry, it is hard to make the argument they needed the money. I would like to think my information is incorrect but it came from a very knowledgable source.

Core boatbuilders sole purpose is to help Oracle win the cup. WTF !!

Core boatbuilders sole purpose is to help Oracle win the cup. WTF !!

...and/or to create jobs in a high-value export industry? all a matter of perspective surely?

Never known Government money to be handed out that freely but I guess anything is possible. But if so, I would expect masters like the Government and Lazza (not to mention Core themselves) to want to see some strategy for longevity beyond this cup and in that sense, you'd have to say they have put themselves in the primo position right now.

Archived