Poisoned Chalice

Best result for NZ would be that Etnz win the AC Cup and then hand it promptly to the COR.

Yup, we have the 2003 monkey off our back and we can collectively all breath a sigh of relief that our nuts are faster/bigger than the traitors.

Going forward after the win is going to create such a minefield of costs that will only fall upon the already sagging shoulders of the regions ratepayers.

The RWC costs based on a regional breakdown were horrendous and this poisoned chalice can and will contribute profits only to a select few.

Best result for NZ would be that Etnz win the AC Cup and then hand it promptly to the COR.

Yup, we have the 2003 monkey off our back and we can collectively all breath a sigh of relief that our nuts are faster/bigger than the traitors.

Going forward after the win is going to create such a minefield of costs that will only fall upon the already sagging shoulders of the regions ratepayers.

The RWC costs based on a regional breakdown were horrendous and this poisoned chalice can and will contribute profits only to a select few.

Did you even engage your brain before posting that?

Our defense (severely touching wood here) should be in 2017 and should correspond with the Lions Tour. Imagine the Viaduct crammed with 1,000's of sailing fans and drunk Welshmen. Complete fantastic chaos.

To save the tax payer money all those apposed, such as the person who posted this bullshit, could volunteer their services as weights for holding the top mark to the ocean floor.. seems reasonable to me...

I was going to say Priscilla is correct and the money should be spend on remedial spelling classes but some maybe 'apposed' to that.

But then I thought calm down, Sows comment is only one of jealousy as they come from a region that can't attract much of anything interesting, hell it can't even host a 1/2 arsed earthquake properly, but then I thought, No best knot.

So I just made a coffee and picked my nose instead.

But in all seriousness, don't write off Priscilla's comment out of hand. That's knot the 1st time I've heard it in the last couple of weeks. In a region in which many are already hurting Priscilla isn't alone in knot being a huge fan of having to pay rich boys to play with rich toys. That will be only one of many hurdles, scams and out right robbery that will happen, should TNZ win.

I can see GD retiring from the fray to concentrate on the VOR after the AC.

His absence potentially leaves one damn big hole to fill.

IMHO there is some merit in TNZ retiring on top, simply hosting the AC party and letting the LVC winner claim the AC next time around (accepting that this would be completely abhorent to some).

Not sure if the DOG provides for that option though.

Best benefit to NZ would be to make it a OD comp and award the entire build to a NZ company on the basis that NZ has a cheap buy back option so we get a cool fleet of OD boats to keep!

this poisoned chalice can and will contribute profits only to a select few.

We live in a capitalist society and unfortunately when the Cup comes back to New Zealand not everyone is going to benefit from it and certainly only a small number are going to make a killing from it.

But how is that any different to most of what goes on every day?

The positive side effects of the cup last time were so massive to the whole economy, more so aucklands, but also the rest of New Zealand.

Plus the NZ government invested in Team NZ to bring it back and not returning it would give zero return to the taxpayers who already stumped up that initial cash.

Bring the cup on, bigger and better than last time!

I'm sick of hearing about the economy, rich billonares, tax payers money, doom gloom, everyone wants something for nothing the poor me routine wah wah. ..the cup is about more than just money. Auckland was bubbling last time. There was a hive of people enjoying the atmosphere throughout the country that the ac created.

The will always be the haters the opinionated the arm chair expert's and the jealous. Its time to push them to the side and enjoy the excitement of the ac unfolding in front of our eyes. Let's hope we can win this thing and bring that feel good factor back for the bulk of us positive kiwis.

The fruit of the AC tree falls far less further than it ever used to.

Yup, you can all get a case of the warm fuzzies but couple a win with a herd of suspect politicians and bureaucrats this thing is going to set the ceiling of public debt to a new record.

Any body recently seen any super yachts lining up to access the recent ratepayer funded refurbishment facility extensions to the waterfront.

Nada zip.

Its at best a pissing match better left to those with far more gold than sense.

Lets take GD commitment to rewrite the nationality rules.

7 out of 10 or so team members are kiwis , what the f*ck are WINZ going to do with the shaved off redundant quota that the introduction of a restrictive nationality clause will impose.

Bit of a stretch there Priscilla but one thing that is painfully obvious to all is you're one miserable Bastard. It must be tiring enjoying nothing and being so concerned. Did you get picked on as a kid?

Hey "Fish" do you live in Herne Bay next to Jimmy and Dean.I thought so. Russell wants to know if you want to walk his poodle.

Classic Priscilla, no.

I live so far out of town to be able to actually afford a house that I have to shlep for an hour each way on the motorway to get to work. But the good news is I work for a living, pay my fair share of taxes, and rates, have never been on a benefit, and don't whine like a stuck pig. Apparently my company pays me to engage my brain.

You should try it.

:D here we go again.....

Well grumpy bums.....I thought that the new "owner" of the AC gets to make the rules ?

Unlike our stupid contracts with the ruling body of F1 where we pay huge dollars up front just to run it....

If it is a massive burden on tax payers of NZ then the rules that you have instigated are your own fault.

I would assume that you are way smarter than that and an inteilgent solution that gives you cost benefits would be one that you put in place.

The AC is now in warp speed.....it is attracting a whole new generation of young people because it is fast, dangerous, and in ya face...

As a top down thing that can only benefit sailing in general.

(Most teen pluss somethings think sailing is just plain borring...dominated by borring oldies.....who talk about the old days...)

Now I am am a cruiser who is quite happy to travel at 5 knots.

Explain to some young folk that this business may create two bloody big boats, "flying" and at a potential closing speed on each other of over 100 KPH ......and then show them some footage and watch how quickly they hit their social media pages.

The AC has always been about wealthy wankers and big dollars....cutting edges...and even cheating.......

BUT...if it is their dollars, and our excitment...

Their R and D and our benifit....

and a new generation of passion then ...bring it on.

As a final thought...as the dollar cost of diesel starts to climb, I am quite confident that another generation of people will start to look seriously at fast sailing (passage makers).

What we have to be careful of, is that this in turn dosnt push the market out of reach of us little guys...

Archived