Mast stiffening - Ali or Carbon

SloopJohnB

I am looking at fitting a stiffener up the inside of a PT mast, looking at options.

Option 1 1.45 mm wall aluminium tube @ 0.53 kg/m

Option 2 1.2 mm or 1.5 mm wall Carbon tube @ 0.25 & 0.31 kg/m resp.

Waiting for the section propreties for the carbon to compare them against the alu figures.

What are the issues using carbon and alu?

How to isolate the carbon and alu?

How to fastener the carbon and ali?

Look forward to your comments.

Go for a carbon tube with a wrap of glass as the final exterior layer. Speak to Jason at Kilwell. He should be able to roll something up to the dimensions you want. So if your tube is 60ID, make the stiffener 59.5OD to give some clearance. Cut a couple of wedges out of the top end so you don't get a hard spot at the end of the stiffener. Limit the number if holes you have to blow through for riveted fittings if possible. Of course you'll need to remove all fittings before you slide her up.

Thanks WT for the advice, I have heard of guys wrapping the carbon tube with packing tape or vinyl, like the idea of a glass layer.

I need to replace my snapped PT mast Sloopjohn....

What section would you recommend for replacement and where can i buy a blank? ( or a old but good mast)

Cheers

Gary

Thanks WT for the advice, I have heard of guys wrapping the carbon tube with packing tape or vinyl, like the idea of a glass layer.

I need to replace my snapped PT mast Sloopjohn....

What section would you recommend for replacement and where can i buy a blank? ( or a old but good mast)

Cheers

Gary

A new section from the association is $450, and they come from Wellington.

Then transfer the fittings over.

PM me and I can give you the details.

WT called in and saw Jason on Wednesday when I was in Roto-vegas, sorted thru the stock and founded a tube to suit.

I talked about how to separated the carbon from the ali, he suggested that a glass wrap over the carbon.

Called in this morning the tube was ready for me, even sanded down to fit the short mast section I took up with me.

Now all I need to do is to mix up some epoxy and bond the tube to the internal front side of the mast.

Great service from Kilwell, I have brought sections from them before for rudder cross tubes and tiller extensions.

Archived