Wanted: Seagull Silver Century Outboard

Kiteroa

We'd be fully keen on foils, but for our race there's jut too much to hit and sometimes there's only 150mm of water. So just a lot of risk if we stack it at 20 knots. High potential for injury and we don't want to demolish the boat! Maybe we'll do a foiling open class boat next year :twisted:

More testing tonight....

Paris 2 starting to look the business. A few timed runs in conjunction with our on-water film testing day this weekend. Will be nice to line up against Paris 1 and the TNZ boat.

We'll launch out of the West End Rowind Club (off Rosebank rd) if anyone wants to come down and have a go.

P2.jpg

Good and bad news today out of 'Team Paris Racing'. We've got an oil sponsor! Due to the nature of our machinery, we go through an abnormally large quantity of 2 stroke oil. More advantageous is that our new best mate Hugh Stewart is going to help us with out props and spare parts! While the irony of having someone like Yamaha Marine on board is amusing as we howl along at a deafeningly unreliable 10 knots with the most rubbish motor ever built, we're grateful for their charity

The bad news is that the poor servos in our gyro stabilised camera rig are getting unnervingly hot. It's trying to actively level around 5kg with our new setup. The next model up in electronic 3 axis gyro gives no change from $10k...... So looks like some creative thinking is needed if we're going to shoot on Saturday! Best to find these problems now I guess.....

20140320_134900a.jpg

20140320_190101a.jpg

3 weeks till race day and we're starting to look reasonable on the performance front. With a newly butchered prop we cracked the 20kmh mark fully loaded the other night, so feeling pretty good about that! However we only did that speed for 10 mins before something happened and we lost 75% of our revs. Unsure if it's a fuel issue again or if we're pushing her too hard on revs and cooking the piston. Hoping like hell it's a fuelling problem cause that can be a quick fix. If it's the pot, we have a lot of work to do. Anyone with some experience in piston cooling give me a shout!

1908264_614444295317085_367918988_n.jpg

Ticked all the easy fix-it boxes and went out for another test this morning. Still missing 1500 rpm... Turns out we actually cooked the big end on the conrod. Was obvious once we opened her up. Crank was blue, so looks like we're up for a new crank as well as a rod. Good to find these problems now and not 3 hours into the race!

There is a local crowd that does various types of ceramic coatings, but we haven't really gone that far yet. If a week out we've nailed all the other problems then we might splash out. It does seem to have merit.

20140329_191750.jpg

There's a lot of tricks like that we'd like to do, but we're in the standard (un-modified) class.... If you do well in the race, the old sea dogs make you strip the engine to prove you're not cheating! I think packing the crank case and filling in the piston & crank are not so legit!

More testing tonight. some small gains. But still a long work list to get through before the weekend.

Don't know why this isn't showing in youtube but meh.

Ah that sound brings back happy memories of my childhood... :thumbup:

but where you travelling that fast??????

I can remember (55yrs ago) putt putty out from Jack n Jill motor camp to go fishing

Ah that sound brings back happy memories of my childhood... :thumbup:

I hear that sound when I lie in bed at night, and my car permanently smells of 2 stroke.

The entry list is really getting up there. It's going to be carnage at the start. 50 seagull boats milling around fighting the current, trying to keep revs on to keep running, half of them broken down already. Like a Wednesday night Y88 start except with less foul language, and a hell of a lot more smoke!

Only 9 days till show time. Good to see we're not the most disorganised team in town. Rough has taken on an all new meaning for some of our competition though. As usual, it's a race to that start! A week out the progress pictures start doing the email rounds!

chris.jpg

1941335_709564409088639_154063729_o.jpg

1941325_704639399581140_561358381_o.jpg

DSCF3880.jpg

700x merc 013a.jpg

Bob the pig.jpg

Managed a long run this weekend. 35km return trip from Te Atatu boating club, to the Riverhead pub and back. She looking to be on song for the main event!

Archived