Trailer Yacht

Guest Dry Reach
Thanks to all for the information - helping to narrow it down!

There is a point about wanting decent performance but also understand about weight.

Anyone got advice on pulling eg a Ross 780 or Nolex 25 with at 3 litre AWD?

In terms of length/displacement for speed the Ross 650 sounds interesting but apart from a few for sale in Aus, doesn't look to be many around NZ?

We pulled our 780 with a HQ Holden on an unbraked trailer, even hauled it over the bryderwen ranges/mamaku's

What ever you do avoid hauling and rigging a 780 for a weekend sail it is a major effort!. Suggest that you spalsh it for summer, sitting it on a pole/berth set to go Friday arvo. And park it on the front lawn for winter, in that case you only need to borrow someones wagon for the arvo twice a year!

Important to keep in mind the ability to re sell the boat..best for that are the R780 or a Nolex 22.

Nolex 25 's hold their prices best. for some reason. and so do the Gazelle's. 22's don't.

J J in your 780 did the board tend to bang or thump around up wind in a swell??Any you know of for sale at the moment

No, have never heard of that. Would be surprised of any examples, as a good %% of the boats weight is in the board, and its long way down.

The top part of the board, which (about) 600mm in length x 100mm in width, is pretty much the same width/dimmensions (not a blade) as the centrecase, the board actually sits on its own weight when fully down.

I see Madness is for sale at moment on trademe...Im pretty sure it was a Hopwood yacht circa 85 construction.

Thanks to all for the information - helping to narrow it down!

There is a point about wanting decent performance but also understand about weight.

Anyone got advice on pulling eg a Ross 780 or Nolex 25 with at 3 litre AWD?

In terms of length/displacement for speed the Ross 650 sounds interesting but apart from a few for sale in Aus, doesn't look to be many around NZ?

We pulled our 780 with a HQ Holden on an unbraked trailer, even hauled it over the bryderwen ranges/mamaku's

What ever you do avoid hauling and rigging a 780 for a weekend sail it is a major effort!. Suggest that you spalsh it for summer, sitting it on a pole/berth set to go Friday arvo. And park it on the front lawn for winter, in that case you only need to borrow someones wagon for the arvo twice a year!

Important to keep in mind the ability to re sell the boat..best for that are the R780 or a Nolex 22.

Nolex 25 's hold their prices best. for some reason. and so do the Gazelle's. 22's don't.

N25's have traditonally had a strong class association and very good flexibility. Personally, still think they are overpriced, realtive to similar boats.

N 22's vary tremendously for a class boat with many glass production hulls with aftermarket tops and interiors. Also a number of different builders with corresponding different attitudes to quality control. Key thing I believe with the 22's is a core group of them have been siginificantly updated with very nice foils, rigs, sails and setups . Most notable of these are the Elder 22's which seem to attract a considerable premium. It is very interesting to look at an Elder boat on a trailer versus another type of 22, as they appear to have significantly more waterline beam aft.

We use to have a N25 with braked trailer and used to tow from Queenstown all over the place (eg. Picton) with a 3.0 Surf. Important to get the balance right on the trailer especially when loading for longer excursions. We use to always take the outboard out of the well and place it on the floor next to the centre case. It was secure and low there which was good. All other gear was packed in around the CB case and galley too.

I don't think the R780 is harder to rig or derig them any other trailerable boat. In fact, the well set up ones like , Newsboy or Coalition Split are able to be rigged & pulled down in about the same time as N22 that I have seen. The 780 stick can be a bit of a handful but with two people who know what they are doing and a helper it should be fine. Alternatively an A- frame might be the way to go.

Halsey, one last consideration. When looking at a boat be sure to check its bum.

Many trailer boats are GRP construction circa 1980's, so be mindful of osmosis (blisters).

Its not a death kneal but can really stuff your investment.

Seek the right advice on this.

Guest Dry Reach
Halsey, one last consideration. When looking at a boat be sure to check its bum.

Many trailer boats are GRP construction circa 1980's, so be mindful of osmosis (blisters).

Its not a death kneal but can really stuff your investment.

Seek the right advice on this.

Only if they have been moored or stored on damp (carpet) pads!

Team - just one further question. Any thoughts on the Young 7.8 with water ballast? Seems to rate pretty well, the WB must make towing easier and the pricing is pretty sharp!

If you are half pie good with basic tools build yourself a boat. There are some great new designs out there that sail extremely well and will leave old trailer yachts for dead. have a look at Dudley Dix's web site, I built a Didi 26 goes really well, has a bit of accomodation and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Top speed so far 15 knots.

there is a dudley dix here in thailand. Seem like a nice enough boat but could probably do with higher topsides as the interior is very low in height relative to a e7.4 or similar. The one here was built too heavy; personally I think strip plank cedar glassed is the simple way to go.

There are some advantages to a sportsboat for performance but to get some accomodation I reckon one of the kiwi designers can come up with a quick mulit purpose trailer sailer that can take over from the last generation.

Performance wise most of the late generation trailer sailers got quicker although a few were rule beating s+@tters that complied with the regulations of trailer sailers but weren't ever built with the spirit of the rule in mind; the quicker ones play with sportsboats, the slower ones are orphans who either keeping beating up noelex 22s etc or go get beaten up by sportsboats.

That said I am sure u can come up with a new generation design which will be a real trailer sailer and also mighty quick.

Check out the carwadine 8m stealth design in aussie for instance.

there is a dudley dix here in thailand. Seem like a nice enough boat but could probably do with higher topsides as the interior is very low in height relative to a e7.4 or similar. The one here was built too heavy; personally I think strip plank cedar glassed is the simple way to go.

There are some advantages to a sportsboat for performance but to get some accomodation I reckon one of the kiwi designers can come up with a quick mulit purpose trailer sailer that can take over from the last generation.

Performance wise most of the late generation trailer sailers got quicker although a few were rule beating s+@tters that complied with the regulations of trailer sailers but weren't ever built with the spirit of the rule in mind; the quicker ones play with sportsboats, the slower ones are orphans who either keeping beating up noelex 22s etc or go get beaten up by sportsboats.

That said I am sure u can come up with a new generation design which will be a real trailer sailer and also mighty quick.

Check out the carwadine 8m stealth design in aussie for instance.

g kip who you having a go at ?

Having built cedar strip and radius ply as per Dudley Dixs designs I would not go cedar strip again in a hurry. I know you can get nice hull shapes and have all sorts of other advantages, but if you want a quick build with a good fair result with bugger all fairing and sanding then radius chine ply is the way to go.

As for room inside theres the age old adage of you can have 2 of three things grace, pace or space.

Boat design is all compromise especially when your looking at smallboats, The Didi 26 has similar room to a Nolex 25 and is a lot faster, with more righting moment etc. No my boat won't keep up with true sports boats as it hasn't got trapeze wings and a 25kg keel. But it keeps me happy and thats what counts.

As for cost I'm not sure what it would cost now but I estimate it would work out about the same as a good 2nd hand Nolex to build. As always the hull is the cheap bit, its all the other bolt on stuff that costs.

When I decided to build this design best fitted my wants, maybe something else out there now but I haven't seen it.

Having built cedar strip and radius ply as per Dudley Dixs designs I would not go cedar strip again in a hurry. I know you can get nice hull shapes and have all sorts of other advantages, but if you want a quick build with a good fair result with bugger all fairing and sanding then radius chine ply is the way to go.

As for room inside theres the age old adage of you can have 2 of three things grace, pace or space.

Boat design is all compromise especially when your looking at smallboats, The Didi 26 has similar room to a Nolex 25 and is a lot faster, with more righting moment etc. No my boat won't keep up with true sports boats as it hasn't got trapeze wings and a 25kg keel. But it keeps me happy and thats what counts.

As for cost I'm not sure what it would cost now but I estimate it would work out about the same as a good 2nd hand Nolex to build. As always the hull is the cheap bit, its all the other bolt on stuff that costs.

When I decided to build this design best fitted my wants, maybe something else out there now but I haven't seen it.

Hi Panic

Are you still on this forum? I'm looking for info on the 26 thinking of building. I read about Panic knot, and I'm told it's now in Auckland. Could you Pm me I would be keen for a chat.

Hi Panic

Are you still on this forum? I'm looking for info on the 26 thinking of building. I read about Panic knot, and I'm told it's now in Auckland. Could you Pm me I would be keen for a chat.

Hi Kiwifish

I've now got Panic Knot and busy converting her to a trailer sailor (she was originally kept permanently in the water).  Happy to chat or if you want to come and have a look over her she's in Gulf Harbour.  PM me for contact details.

Cheers

Will