Lowering the mast

banaari

OK... what might be an exceptionally newbie question:

Is lowering (and re-raising) the mast on something the size of a Beachcomber 6.5 a one-person operation? Would it be something to attempt while moored, or is solid ground and better angles required?

How much do these things weigh, am I on the high road to personal injury and half a ton of alloy smashing through the overhead?

Haven't had to do it yet, never seen it done. (Other than photos of Yves Parlier's mast exploits at Stewart Island...)

But am keen to get the windex pointing forwards... and other things...

Dunno how similar your rig is to a trailer sailer - but I can lower and raise the mast on my 7 metre trailer sailer on my own, and carefully carry it around too if neccesary.

The mast step hinges on a pin. I use the spinnaker halyard as a temporary stay clipped to the stem fitting, so I can disconnect the forestay. Then I stand behind the mast and lean against it, let go the halyard and walk the mast down to rest in a temporary tripod/gallows thing made of PVC pipe over the cockpit. Remember to close the companionway slider first! Then I can unpin the foot of the mast and move it around, and if I stand in the middle of the mast I can pick it up.

To put it up I put the spin halyard on the stem, walk the mast up and make the halyard fast. Then put the forestay back on and tension it.

I don't take the shrouds off at all, unless i"m taking the whole rig out of the boat.

It's all easier with someone else to help with the halyard, but they just need to take the slack up and cleat it, I walk the mast up and down rather than pulling it with the halyard.

Dunno how similar your rig is to a trailer sailer

She _is_ a trailer sailer... albeit without a trailer...

Awesome, thanks muchly for the potted how-to, that helps a lot and I think we've got a Plan for the weekend :)

NICE ! :D

Do remember for say nolex 30s and similar that you have to be careful.

Without the use of a "Gin Pole" (a pole that stops the angle on "almost down" from being critical)...

The weight can be too much for one person.

The damage is usually wind instruments , backs and tempers....but not in that order.

A second or third person helps heaps.

I have done it too many times, and it is always fine until that last few degrees !

WATCH the halyards....it is so easy in the heat of the moment for stray stuff to get caught around the winches or a million other bits.

Doing it on the water has obvious problems on a small boat....but falling off a boat on a trailer breaks bones.

It may seem odd, but I would much rather deal with a 40 ton crane and a 18m plus mast than a big trailer sailor......

Definitely don't want problems getting it up again :mrgreen:

Am inclined to take the cautionary note on board; think the solution might be to park up next to the wharf at low tide and run a line to "some point" significantly higher than the deck.

Spent half an hour Saturday afternoon doing that which distinguishes mankind from most other species, namely tool-building.

Tool in question is a length of timber with additions and modifications to let it mate securely with the toe-rails around the edge of the Kerikeri wharf while protruding out into space as an attach point for a block. Low tide Sunday morning, positioned the craft underneath... (a) yes this will work (B) got a nice high-angle photo © just have to deal with the frozen rigging screws...

Thoughts on © anybody?!

© just have to deal with the frozen rigging screws...

Thoughts on © anybody?!

Give them a bit of CRC or WD40 everyday for a week.

In the past when I have not been in a rush I have wrapped a rag around them to hold the CRC in and left them to soak.

A bit of heat when you go to undo them can do wonders, but mind the conduction.

What material re the rigging screws?

Have seen people damage them trying to undo them.

Another option but has risks is to use a tackle to get some slack in the rigging on one side so you can take pins out, then ease the tackle to get slack in the other side. May not work for your boat.

On a T Y you should be able to crank on the jib and spin halyards attached to the bow enough to just remove the pin.

You don't need to touch the side stays if his works

But I would definatly sock them with lube so they can be freed up for further adjustments

Also try pouring boiling water on them first to remove any salts from the threads.

On a T Y you should be able to crank on the jib and spin halyards

We aspire, one day, to a spinnaker...

But now I think about it... if I _wanted_ a piece of nylon eye-candy, on a boat that as far as I know has never had one installed... and purely for recreation / cruising... what do I need, from scratch? Or would I be better satisfying the urge by acquiring something in the brightly-coloured gennaker department?

spinnakers rock. So to set one you need a kite pole, topping lift and down hall for the pole, kite sheets, tweakers, a kite halyard and obviously a spinnaker.

I have a little wee ross 780 one you could have cheap and a spare kite pole too. Its the small kite and pole which came with the boat. pm me if you're interested.

It's the halyard & lift going to present the challenge.

Fairly certain there's diddly squat at the masthead to support the extra strings... will know more when I eyeball it close range, soon.

© just have to deal with the frozen rigging screws...

Give them a bit of CRC or WD40 everyday for a week.

First dose just applied :)

Get a blow torch and burn the corrosion off the rigging screws. Stop the heat when you see the smoke :thumbup:

Archived