#whiteisland2013

Aussie

white-island.png

Strong fleet lines up for 2013 Round White Island Race

On Friday 22 November 17 monohulls and one multihull will line up for the start of the Royal Akarana Yacht Club Round White Island Race.

The popular 320 nautical mile race starts off Orakei Wharf in Auckland, north to Channel Island then south to the volcanic White Island before heading back to Auckland for the finish.

This year several boats are using the race as a qualifying event for the 2014 Round North Island Race which starts in February.

The newly launched Volvo 70 Giacomo is amongst the fleet and having only done one major race and a handful of Wednesday and Friday afternoon races to date, are excited about their first long race together as a crew.

Owner and skipper Jim Delegat is keen to let the crew stretch their legs.

“The majority of the crew for White Island are those that we coming with us for the Sydney Hobart so I’m looking forward to doing some miles with the guys. There is definitely a brains trust on board so it’s going to be a bit of fun! ” said Delegat.

“I’ve been told that the White Island race is an inspiring one. Sailing around a volcano is always a bit different,” continued Delegat.

Giacomo is the only New Zealand entrant in this year’s Rolex Sydney Hobart Race and will represent Royal Akarana Yacht Club.

Christiaan Arns who is helming his Beneteau First 44.7 Notorious with six other crew, was spending Thursday putting the finishing touches to the boat in preparation for the race.

When asked what he was most looking forward to for this year’s White Island race, Arns replied “I’m hoping to get around the volcano in daylight!”

“I’ve done this race a few times now but have never managed to get to White Island when the sun is up! I cannot confirm that it even exists as I’ve never actually seen it!” laughed Arns.

“I believe though that there is a lot of swell rolling in at the moment, so I just hope the crew can handle that.”

Josh “Booboo” Tucker and James “Westie” Horner are one of the boats using this race qualifying for the Round North Island Race on their Ross 950 Pepe.

“Going upwind is going to be a challenge but it’s that kind of training we need when we race around the North Island. So we’re not looking forward to that but it has to be done!” laughed Horner, who is better known in the sailing community as Westie.

“There is definitely going to be some bonding!” said “Booboo” Tucker whilst laughing and winking at Westie.

Hamish Milne sailing his “super tanker” Beale Moody Blue IV won Division 3 of this year’s Coastal Classic race and is keen to line up again for White Island.

“I’ve ticked all the boxes with races in the Hauraki Gulf but have never done the Round White Island Race so I can’t wait to actually see the volcano!” said Milne.

“I’m also using this race to reintroduce my wife Claire to offshore racing so it’s a win win!” continued Milne.

The lone multihull in the race is inshore and offshore regular the Orma 60 Team Vodafone Sailing. Owned and skippered by Simon Hull, Team Vodafone Sailing is predicting a finish time around dawn on Saturday morning.

“If the breeze stays in as predicted then we should definitely be back in Auckland early Saturday morning. A good fast race is what we’re after,” said Hull.

The Round White Island Race starts on Friday 22nd November at 1000 hours from Orakei in Auckland. The best vantage point will be from the end or Orakei Wharf in Okahu Bay.

Boats will be providing updates via social networking sites Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #whiteisland2013. This hashtag can also be used by spectators and other interested parties.

Race website – http://www.rayc.co.nz/whiteisland

Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/raycnz

Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/raycnz

Hashtag – #whiteisland2013

Epic fail for the Predictwind tracker system. As soon as the race starts the tracker re-sets itself and for a start you're looking at the west coast of Africa and then when you finally find NZ there are no tracks available, no boats in any divisions, no nothing.

Excellent!!! :evil:

Epic fail for the Predictwind tracker system. As soon as the race starts the tracker re-sets itself and for a start you're looking at the west coast of Africa and then when you finally find NZ there are no tracks available, no boats in any divisions, no nothing.

Your feedback is extremely helpful! Thanks!! :clap:

Clear start for the Round White Island Race

After a brief postponement at the start, the fleet competing in the 2013 Round White Island Race began their 320 nautical mile journey to the volcanic location off the Bay of Plenty at 1005 hours Friday 22 November.

There were 16 monohulls lined up for the start due to a late decision to withdraw by the Volvo 70.

Jim Delegat’s Giacomo was the unfortunate withdrawal being forced to confirm their decision this morning. The new electrical system was unable to be completely tested in time for the start.

“We’re disappointed as this was going to be a major training race for us,” said Delegat. The Giacomo team had planned on using this race as training for the upcoming Rolex Sydney Hobart Race which starts in Sydney on Boxing Day.

Then 30 minutes into the start a call was received by Royal Akarana Yacht Club race control with the news that Bushido was also withdrawing. The decision was made after a crew member on the two man boat was injured.

“We’re all ok but Greg (Elliott) has injured himself. This is just the start of the race and there is a long way to go, so it’s best for us to head home rather than risk anything,” said Wayne Woods. Bushido was also using the Round White Island Race as training and qualifying for the 2014 Round North Island Race which starts in February.

The race got underway in approximately seven knots from the north east with an incoming tide. Most of the fleet headed straight for the shore line towards St Heliers Bay which paid off for some. Team Vodafone Sailing, the lone multihull in the fleet, opted to take the Rangitoto Channel to keep out of the tide. As they passed Rangi Light they were off.

With Giacomo out the line honours race for monohulls opens up with it now being anyone’s to take.

Notorious (Christiaan Arns), Rikki (Ray Haslar), Starlight Express (Dan Stenhouse), Django (Andrew Reid) and even Truxton (Chris Skinner) all have a chance of being the first monohulls home.

A group of enthusiasts made their way to Orakei Wharf in Okahu Bay to watch the start and to scream out their words of encouragement to the fleet.

Close friend of Hamish Milne (Moody Blue IV) was on the wharf and after the start to send words of wisdom Hamish’s way.

“Where did you learn how to start mate!” screeched Angus Small as fits of laughter exploded from the crew of Moody Blue IV.

Andrew Reid, helming his J/111 Django admitted to being somewhat confused at the start due to the short postponement, but ended up hitting the line at the pin end with speed.

“We were so focused on making sure the boat was all good that we kind of missed what was happening! But in the end our start was great and we are now making out way past the nudist colony at Ladies Bay. No real talent out unfortunately!” said Reid.

Most of the boats are using the PredictWind tracker, although it isn’t a mandatory requirement to have it available at all times.

Boats will be providing updates via social networking sites Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #whiteisland2013. This hashtag can also be used by spectators and other interested parties.

Race website – www.rayc.co.nz/whiteisland

Tracker - http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/race/rayc

Facebook – www.facebook.com/raycnz

Twitter – www.twitter.com/raycnz

Hashtag – #whiteisland2013

Photos will be added here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 323&type=3

Your feedback is extremely helpful! Thanks!! :clap:

...yeah it reminded me of that add..

"if he cant us the eftpos, how can he drive the car"

:lol: :lol:

Been a long day for he crews and pretty slow going. Luckily not too many hour between dark and daylight. Good to see Unitec hanging in there. Only got the keel on this week. You gotta love the drive. Shame the trackers will run out.

I think the predickwind tracker is the wrong option for races outside of the coverage area. might be the cheap option, but when coverage drops out, well go figure

where are all the updates? only getting info from the glamour boat, currently having a party with the sr boys off onetangi - according to the tracker. nothing from anybody else. although it's a drifter there will be drama to report :silent: has anybody else rounded the rock, where is wandering star? past the mercs? pepe, are josh and westie enjoying the freeze dried? why did skins pull out, spat the dummie? :wave: is there anybody out there. Beep Beep would of had a blinder :crazy:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Archived