Unusual Outboard Brands

A while ago, when I still had my SR26 I had the venerable Yamaha 8hp Long Shaft on it. My dad had a little Pelin Caribou trailer sailer and needed an outboard. I tried to convince him to get a used Yamaha but he found he could buy a brand new Sail 9 point whatever for the same money. As much as I tried to talk him out of it he went ahead and did so and it was easily the worst piece of mechanical (And I use the term loosely) shite I have ever been asked to lay spanners on. It was a complete lottery as to it's likelihood to start regardless of temperature/fuel type/mixing ratio/plug heat range/position of the moon or date on the Maori fishing calendar.

He was continuously having to be towed or sail himself out of bad situations which is easier said than done on those little boats!

I used to tell him that it was called a 'Sail' for a reason and suggested that he should have looked for one called 'Go' or 'Motor' instead.

In the end he sold the boat in frustration because he was no longer enjoying going out and not knowing if he would make it out of the bay.

They may look the same but that's where it ends, the quality of aluminium used and the machining tolerances are woeful.

Just my 2c!

And remember that the Consumer Guarantees Act and Small Claims Tribunal may not save you with these outboards. It is a roll of the dice as to who hears your case. Do not rely on this to get your money back after buying a rubbish outboard brand.

I do, I have one of each. The Honda is a much more modern engine. Heavier and the permanent pull cord is a nice touch at times. The standard props need solid bushing or buy the solas replacement. The Yamaha is also good. Almost as much thrust and a lot lighter. I've gone from 2 yamahas to 2 Hondas and now one of each. I will probably end up with 2 Yamahas again as they are lighter and the Honda only comes with power tilt mechanisms which I don't need. At least that was all I could get last time I purchased.

There's a number of Honda's up here at Sandspit as until recently it was the only brand well serviced in the area. I've had a Honda 15 for nine years, and now a Honda 10 because at the time there was no 15 hp in the country. Both good, reliable engines. Best feature is the 12A charging, double the Yamaha 9.9. Certainly you need the barge props on them. Very likely my next engine will be a Honda 15.

yeh - same thinking as me.  I'm thinking of the 20 though because its basically the same block tuned for a little more hp which may come in handy.

Some friends are currently repowering a tri up there with a pair of 20's!

i have for my tender a honda 2.5?4 stroke just a word of warning do not let water(condensation)enter the centrifugal clutch area,to replace bearing was $400.but goes extremely well.

my mate has a hidea 3hp?spent more time in shop than on water and he has been given 2 replacement engines with same result(maybe not ment for salt water?)

I've had a yamaha 9.9, 4 stroke and a yamaha 8 both used for 7.8 metre trailer yachts. 

The 9.9 was ok but very old and pretty heavy. It became unreliable in the end and I was pretty happy to see it go with the boat when I sold. I noticed that the new owner had replaced it.  

The yamaha 8 is awesome and runs faultless  as long as you run it dry and flush it with fresh water, change the plugs once a year and keep an eye on the impellor.

Alos dead easy to service your self as they are sooooo simple. I think its got similar power to the 9.9 4 stroke but drinks more fuel.

I seriously looked at the chinese makes but the finishing and quality just doesn't look the same. 

We use alot of dive operators in the islands where the engine of choice is twin 2 stroke yamaha 90's or similar.

Says something.