Trailer lighting rules

oliver

My boat trailer failed a warrant the other day, for incorrectly placed forward facing lights. I have a pair of orange lights on the ends of a light board across the transom, facing forward. The lights extend past the transom to the full beam of the boat/trailer. Warrant man says the orange lights need to be amidships, as in over the axle. He suggested on the mudguards, which will be a pain as the trailer's not wired, just a light board. Having all the lights on one board is very convenient - I'd rather not wire the trailer itself as it's very low and often underwater.

I can put the lights on a little board each, and attach them to a stanchion, on the end of a long wire, but the extra wiring will be extra hassle when putting the lights on.

Anyone know anything about trailer lighting requirements? Could I add a couple of battery-powered LED lights?

It's been running like this since 1984, as far as I can tell.

Hi, our light-board setup sounds much the same as your except has white ones facing forward. Last year (last WOF) it passed just fine. Maybe if the lenses were white?

Interestingly enough:

"If the trailer or its load is more than 2 metres wide, it must have two white lights at the front to show how wide it is."

as per the Road Code.

I used to be a WOF inspector and you must use the VIRM which is on-line now.

The VIRM (NZTA's Vehicle Inspection Manual) for all the details on trailers can be found http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/v ... s/lighting

If you read the Summary of Legislation section it looks like your WOF guy is not correct and the forward facing lamps can be amber but should be mounted at the front of the trailer (unlike many trailers at present)

There is even diagrams to help you determine the lighting angles and widths.

Battery powered LED lights attached would satisfy the requirements, as long as they are fitted for the WOF that is what is needed as he may say you might fit them in real usage, but that is not for him (her) to guess or deny a WOF.

570wide.png

I had an issue with a 1980 built trailer, got in touch with NZTA and they explained it all.

Also supplied the link http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/v ... s/lighting

Went back to the testing company the guy took one look and started to shake his head until I asked if he wanted to see the NZTA emails. Suffice to say I will never use that branch of that company again.

The warrant guy might be referring to 4-8 in the link above

Permitted equipment

1. A light trailer may be fitted with side-marker lamps.

2. A side-marker lamp must be positioned so that it gives an indication of the vehicle’s dimensions.

If not required I'd remove them for the warrant.

Get in touch with NZTA - email them a sketch of what you have.

The trailer is still 2m wide without the boat.

The reason for rejection must be this one, I think:

"4. A pair of lamps is not:

a) symmetrically mounted, or

B) mounted as far towards each side of the trailer as practicable."

The diagrams do show the lights at the front - but my boat isn't square, so it doesn't have front corners! From a position indicating point of view, sticking the lights at max beam does seem sensible. They already show the full width of the boat and trailer, but they're at the back and I think they're meant to be "Front side lamps".

Difference here between the forward facing position lamps (4-6) and the side marker lamps (4-8)

For forward facing position lamps:

Under "Summary of Legislation"

"4-6-3 . A lamp must be positioned to the front of the vehicle."

Although poorly written with regard to the choice of preposition, this is the only mention of the forward position lamp "mounting position". It could be interpreted ambiguously. All other references are that is must only "face" forward.

Moreover, there is nothing under the reasons for failure relating to the forward positioning of the lamp, only "facing forward" and as Oliver mentioned 4-6-4b) mounted as far towards each side of the trailer as practicable.

You could continue to argue it or ask NZTA for a ruling...

Or go to a different place for your warrant.

I bought a trailer last week that is over 2m wide & it got a new warrant with no issues. Has white lights on the mudguards that are as far out to the sides as you could get, but could not really say they are "positioned to the front of the vehicle".

Archived