Sailing from Nelson to Auckland

juxta

Yep, well Josh got 4nm the other way so lets agree there's f*ck all in it……. and thats straight lining it. I'd take his advice on which way to go if they do decide to sail it.

I'm with BooBoo

My navionics makes it 620nm Nelson to Devonport via west coast

And 660nm Nelson to Devo via east cape

400nm straight line to the top but the departure is the easiest weather to pick then the last bit is the best cruising possibly in the world

ive sailed the west coast 4 times and east coast twice and would always go west if I could,if the weather turns nasty you can hide in at new plymouth then its usually only 2 to 3 day to round the top.I would do it in a raven but not a harmonic.It can turn nasty up the west coast last time I was there forecast was 20 knot southerly it turned into 50 knots got knocked down once and had the main door blown off its hinges by a wave that was in a 37 foot steel yacht.Yet time before was becalmed and had to motor,If you pick your forecast and dont risk any dodgy weather its easily doable in a small yacht.Enjoy your trip.

quote "its easily doable in a small yacht.Enjoy your trip" .unquote

I certainly hope so as we are about to do it four times for the RNI in a Ross 930 which is pretty small.

(Delivery NSN to AKL, the RNI and delivery AKL to NSN)

Tb

2 is OK, three capable sailors makes it easy. Depending on the boat, 4 may be too crowded...

I've done this trip in a Raven. Look at the weather maps, 5 day forecasts, and make the route decision on the departure day for the best forecast... Be prepared to stop (esp E coast, W coast there is really only New Plymouth, and it's got crap facilities and is rolly in a big NW).

Good luck! Have a great time. :D

Are you looking at the Tracker down there? it does look like pretty sharp pricing so could be worth towing.
"Uncle Sam"?

I looked at that boat a couple of years ago when it was a lot more expensive. I ended up buying a trailer sailer but at the current price I'd probably have bought it. It was in OK condition then, good motor, reasonable sails, worn teak over ply deck though. The owner is a nice guy, we had a sail and a beer :thumbup:

Hi, just be minfull about the weather, I can only tell you about we went up the east coast south island/from Lyttelton to stop in Napier and than Gisborne for the jazz festival which was absolute blast! -next stop Whitianga- great Barrier - AKL without any dramas (35ft)

we had three weeks of work,left Lyttelton on boxing day and all was good.

Up wairarapa coast got a bit bouncy (dog good seasick) but nothing too dramatic, caught a nice tuna just before napier. Sorry cant give any any feedback on going up from nelson the west to AKL, as i have only done the oposite way. did stop in New Plymouth on way down andreceived a very warm welcome from locals at the yachtclub.

Anyway, hope all goes well, keep us posted, kia kaha

Wheels you are dreaming thinking if you think anything other than Napier or Gisborne are places to stop and enjoy the scenery on your way up and down this coast.

This is how you do it;

leave South Island with a big High over NZ ( no screaming Nor Westers that way )

Take heaps of Diesel and use it

Stop in Napier or Gisborne if required ( long way in though keep going if possible )

Get round East Cape

Keep sailing or motoring as quick as possible to the Mercs.

Pull into mercs, put down anchor, get trollyed for 2 days then cruise into Auckland.

Done it plenty of times in little boats like Y88s and 930s back in the day, and bigger stuff as well which is nice but its fine in little boats as well.

This is how you do it;

Pull into mercs, put down anchor, get trollyed for 2 days then cruise into Auckland.

I love that plan!

+1

Wheels you are dreaming thinking if you think anything other than Napier or Gisborne are places to stop and enjoy the scenery on your way up and down this coast.

This is how you do it;

leave South Island with a big High over NZ ( no screaming Nor Westers that way )

Take heaps of Diesel and use it

Stop in Napier or Gisborne if required ( long way in though keep going if possible )

Get round East Cape

Done it plenty of times in little boats like Y88s and 930s back in the day, and bigger stuff as well which is nice but its fine in little boats as well.

Archived