Volvo Penta MD2020D temp sensor/gauge

sealegs

Can anyone explain why the Volvo MD2020D does not have a temperature sensor and gauge fitted? ( Well mine does not and the local VP agents in Opua cant explain it either) A google search produced no answer.

It does have an over heat alarm they say but why wait for an alarm before taking action?

Im concerned that I cannot monitor the temp ( like is it reaching operating temp?) and am seeking solutions from VP to install one manually.

your thoughts please.... :think:

Pretty common on many VP models incl yours and the 2000 series (2002, 2003) etc. No prob to add a guage, you can get a vdo sender with a double head (alarm and guage). The Auckland vdo agent has them, but I've forgotten their name. Could look it up if you're stuck..

Im concerned that I cannot monitor the temp ( like is it reaching operating temp?)
And?????

They tend to run cold anyway. Really, as long as you have water flowing, that's about all you can do. Adding a gauge may only add anxiety :wink:

Pretty common on many VP models incl yours and the 2000 series (2002, 2003) etc. No prob to add a gauge, you can get a vdo sender with a double head (alarm and gauge). The Auckland vdo agent has them, but I've forgotten their name. Could look it up if you're stuck..

thanks IT. would appreciate assistance from those in the know about what would work.

what is a

vdo sender with a double head (alarm and gauge).

Is this a volvo product or universal equivalent and how do you fit it. Is it something I can do with my limited knowledge but given directions? The MD2020D does have a "hot water" plug option on the front just to the left of the heat exchanger.Can the sensor fit there?

Im concerned that I cannot monitor the temp ( like is it reaching operating temp?)
And?????

They tend to run cold anyway. Really, as long as you have water flowing, that's about all you can do. Adding a gauge may only add anxiety :wink:

They tend to run cold anyway.

Cold ? hows that wheels? :? It feels pretty hot inside the engine bay + engine is warm/hot to the touch even though I can see the sea water spitting out the exhaust. Engine hrs =257hrs since installed new. There has been no over heat alarm so far thank goodness but Im used to looking at the car gauges knowing that a temp gauge "should" be there on the MD2020D ( because its a motor engine is'nt it?).

The fact that it is'nt there makes me feel uneasy. :oops: Admittedly Im not as familiar as you are with marine engines/products wheels so the "anxiety" is therefore present if things dont appear "normal".

Im consoled on the other hand with your previous thread comment " you can kill a diesel engine with kindness" so I try not to worry too much about it. :| I suppose having a temp gauge ....its the knowledge that I can see the temp is ok and can relax & ignore what appears to be a warm engine doing what its supposed to do within its specs.

Having a gauge, Yeah fair enough. I know I would.

I was assuming you had a raw water cooled engine, but such a new install, I guess you may have a heat exchanger. The old raw water cooled notoriously ran colder. But if you have a heat exchanger, it probably runs about right.

Hi Sealegs,

If you get the part number currently in use from the temp sender (by the thermostat housing, the brass bit that the temp sensor/alarm wire attaches to), and then call Robinson Instruments Phone: +64 9 636-5836, they will be able to provide a suitable gauge and replacement sender unit - one that does both gauge and alarm. They are not cheap though, it will likely cost a couple of hundred. Cheaper than a cooked engine though! An oil pressure gauge would be good as well.....

Good Luck! :D

If you choose the repco option, you will NOT get both the Alarm and gauge option. And I've found that with my 2003T, it's hard (Have not found one yet) to get a sender that fits the unusual thread/size of the sender unit mount, which is part of the block casting.

I wanted both the gauge AND the alarm....

Archived