All right, who was it?!

banaari

The old beacons should not be monitored and just ignored like they are around the rest of the World. People should know by now they are obsolete and are idiots if they expect to be rescued with one.

Yes but 121.5 is a very "Big" spot. It is for aircraft direction finding. I really do not think these old units should be kept just because they have a usable 121.5. The new units put a search team pretty darn close to the spot and the GPS units will put a search team right smack on the spot.

Still leaves me wondering what kind of bozo knows enough to upgrade their EPIRB but just tosses the old one in the garbage without deactivating first.

Did/do the old versions carry any kind of identifying codes?

Is prolific, lots of them are ending up in tips. At least in Auckland the Coastguard planes RDF is state of the art and would have nailed the position of that beacon not long after take off.

People will just be pissed off at chucking perfectly good gear away so it's unlikely they will take the effort to strip the battery out.

I'm still carrying my 121 as commercial aircraft still monitor that frequency so if I start to go down I'll be flicking every switch on everything I have including the 121. As we have seen with so much electronic gear and systems, you have little to no idea if a lot of it is actually working at the time of need hence my theory of more the merrier.

like giving old cell phones to people who may need a hidden emergency 111 caller

old epirbs should be able to find a better home than the tip

sure many boaties could wouldn't buy a new one would be happy to have an old working one or their boat, or even as a spare

hell, i'll pay postage if anyone is getting rid of an older model

There are still false alarms with beacons anyway, being tripped by accident, in a sense they are good in it allows crews practical experience in locating them, they get to listen to a real signal, with little information to go on.

in the 80's i was an air force avionics tech at whenuapai

in the main avionics repair section we had a special room for testing emergency locator beacons

the room had a "faraday shield" built into the walls and a metal door, that sealed on to woven mesh, so during testing, the broadcast signal would not escape the room and falsely trigger rescue attempts

it wasn't an especially difficult job and young techs were rotated through it pretty quickly as part of training

and then 1 day base auckland got a call from search and rescue? in wellington?

it seemed they were periodically getting brief, weak bursts of emergency beacon signal and had finally tracked down the coordinates to the whenuapai area

could the air force check all its beacons on planes and liferafts etc as something wasn't right

at the avionics section the commanding officer went down to the room to quiz the section sergeants and tech

while they were getting the tech to show them his procedure 1 of the sergeants sees a transistor radio on the bench

"what have you got that for, it won't work in here?"

"it didn't at first, but once i ran this little antenna wire out the door and up the wall outside it did, pretty smart aye?"

of course the wire inside the room acted as a beacon receive antenna, carried the signal outside the room and then acted as a broadcast antenna, completely negating the special room to keep the beacons signals contained for testing

Archived