How widespread is Sexism in Sailing?

It seems to me not just in sailing that there are relatively few women in sailing, triathalons, muay Thai, windsurfing and snowboarding (the sports I have competed in or participated in so can speak of) and since there are few overall, there tend to be few who are very very good.

Sailing is the only one I'd say the top women at a club level are pretty much equal to men, but the rest, pretty damn good but there is a gap due to physics, historical issues and most of all, the odds of getting a champion when you have most of the potential champions not even playing the sport.

In each sport, the volume isn't there, there is no mass of women making up the middle of the fleet/group/pack who are ok, keen but just not that good, or just beginning. In each of these sports, there are a ton of men who suck, but go and compete anyhow.

It seems to get worse as the girls turn into women; at high school there are tons and tons of boys and girls skiing and snowboarding. Fast forward to early 20s, and the women tend to start to drop away, certainly in terms of general participation but also in racing as well. Its funny because keelboat sailing really has a ton of beginners starting the sport for the most part in their 20s or 30s; in other sports that doesn't really happen much (triathalons it does also, or used to through the team corporate tris).

I highly doubt sailing is more sexist than say, Muay Thai; over here in Thailand women aren't even allowed to compete at all in the 2 most prestigious stadiums because they would 'poison' them with bad luck!

BUt there's no doubt it's there. I actually doubt that's why there is a low participation rate. Rather that ALL the sports above show the same trend; women in general have more pressing things on their time/wallets that men simply don't have to worry about; periods, time spent to look good for some (if you add up make up time, hair colouring time), organising stuff (let's face it in a relationship more often than not the woman ends up sorting stuff out), a career path that is alledgedly more difficult, pregnancy, child care, etc etc). None of these are deal breakers and many women don't let it affect themselves or get ways around it; but for some the time taken and the priorities aren't on sport.

FInancially, I think women often have other things they would spend their money on; again with regards to financial risk and also with regards to boat building and the industry, it is a male dominated industry.

There is more though. Regarding hot chicks on boats. Many of the hotties I've worked with in the past in my modelling/TV days also have a massive aversion to anything that would make them look less than perfect - they would work out at a gym for 2 hours every day; but not a chance of going in the sun, risking bruises, etc etc. Not all, a few were full adventure athletes including one wakeboarding/boxing/supermodel. Many of the less than hot persue similar initiatives; whereas at the end of the day a guy will swill beer all day strut around with a beer gut and still believe he can pull some hot slapper. So sailing, is ideal for that, given the vast beer consumption and questionable ratio of calories to exercise. The male equivalent of the metrosexual is a rare beast in NZ, more common abroad and just as likely not to want to do sports other than wank gym stuff and getting waxes and stuff. Apparently. Someone told me.

The women who are really good at sport tend to be less risk averse and consider it a priority so they work at it. The same as any good athlete. I believe in sailing the physical differences to be very few relative to say Muay Thai or triathalons where women are at a noticeable physical disadvantage vs. men and with only one way to do the sport; keeler sailing by comparison has many positions and body types. I suppose the difference is no woman would expect to race head to head or fight head to head in Muay Thai or tris, whereas sailing most of the sailing is mixed together in the keelers.

Top opti girl locally here came 4th in the worlds (overall against the boys) and has been top here against all the boys in Asia for 3 years. The good ones are damn good.

More corporate sailing stuff; get all the hot office chicks out on boats. The hot chick theory dictates that any place or activity with lots of hot chicks will tend to develop momentum of its own; witness the night club with hot chicks or the theory of hot chick sales women etc.

That's the ticket.

In a strictly non sexist way.

whereas at the end of the day a guy will swill beer all day strut around with a beer gut and still believe he can pull some hot slapper.

I know a fat gutted beer swilling 50 year old & he would resent you referring to his 22 year old bimbo as hot slapper. None of us think she's hot at all.

ok, not hot slapper then.

Bit of crumpet.

Gee, you got to be careful of this politically correct stuff.

That's the thing I love about NZ. The love hate relationship with being PC.

For instance......

You can be the most racist MF uneducated dumb douche bag ex rugby playing f&*kwad who talks about darkies.....but as long as the moron says 'now call this politically incorrect but....' before hand (or afterwards in the media) then it is no longer a uneducated bafoon type thing to say coming from a neandathal sell out whose only life acheivement other than depriving Shane Warne of some of the pies is running around in the amateur era of rugby like a meathead; instead it is a gem of wisdom matched and exceeded only by a further fine and wise comment from same expert commentator regarding that apparently it's now also ok for pro athletes to force their stomped on privates up the nether regions of women of their choosing, because, let's face it, all women are pretty much gagging for it. Apparently all women love the thought of scoring a rugby player.

I appreciate the honesty of the second part, as it has definitely been my experience that all women are gagging for it all the time. I asked a group of exceptionally hot FHM girls next door just how gagging they were for a piece of this former rugby twit's overweight bulging cellulite boil festered ass and they gagged big time. I think 2 of them did like a small vomit in their mouths (you could smell on their breath), and another 5 looked well queasy. The last 2 actually had to go to the bathroom to throw up, but given that they are models, this could be either just a normal day of saying hi to Mr Pukey fingers, or it might have had something to do with the sheer eroticism of that bulbous shiny head and ill fitting glasses, emphasising that rugby players don't just die, they merely become twice the size and half the brain power of a normal non rugby player..... but being that they are all 'non PC' we have to listen to their bizarre and inane ravings as if it were Moses himself descending from the heavens.

Hear ye hear ye.

p.s. Bring back Buck.

Ladies Races or you could say Blokes Races exist purely to save marriages and relationships. When that sweet beloved petal of your existence who is normally the center of your universe wants to come sailing she can suddenly turn into the bitch P fueled daughter of Dr Jekyll.

When she does it's simple, talk one of her girlfriends into talking her into Ladies racing. You get to go for a yacht, she gets to go for a yacht and yet you can still both come home and get your combined freak on without someone pulling out the 'Oh so it was me who clipped on the kite sideways.....was it?' {in that 'tone' ladies are all taught in the womb} card.

One blokes theory :thumbup:

I fully expect to see the number of females skipper/crews on yachts to increase as time ticks on, quite quickly in some areas. At work over the last say 5-6 years we have seen a huge growth in lady owned and run cruisers. Some are quite flash brand spanking new boats some knot quite so. In almost all cases the ladies do admit to having some knowledge shortcomings but that is in the systems area i.e. motors and bits like that, but then that's knot uncommon when talking blokes either just they don't admit knot knowing. Knot one of the ladies doesn't appear very confident of handling their boats though. More than a few have tweaked the boats to suits, generally, smaller (in height) less powerful crews. Many also solo a lot. A lot use their boats a LOT as well.

That will flow through to racing.

LOVE the rant Kip, well done!

I must admit I was very worried when that comment re. girls 'gagging for it' was not met with the sort of astonishment and contempt it should have deserved, so good to see you're making up for the media's apparent lack of concern right here on Crew.org.

It made me think, a lot of 15, 14, 13 year old girls (and some even younger!) can act like they're 'gagging for it', but it still doesn't make it OK to screw them!!!

I went to see Bill Bailey recently and he described English professional footballers as 'overpaid, undereducated borderline rapists'. I think the same can be said for many pro rugby players. It's so sad that these people are role models for the next generation. And we wonder what's happening to 'The Yoof Of Today'...

So BB you would agree with Andy Haden then? I kinda wonder if he's getting strung up for saying how it is.

Let's face it if a young woman goes to a bar, gets drunk with a pro rugby player and then goes up to his hotel room, does she think she's going there to play tiddly winks? Don't misunderstand me, the rugby players are no saints and I don't condone that use em, abuse em, then lose em attitude, but does that make it ALL their fault?

Andy H is just saying it like it is, right or wrong, probably with less tact than should be applied (to keep the pc nannys happy) but is he wrong?

So BB you would agree with Andy Haden then?
:wtf:

Um, no. I was appalled at his comments. Yes, some girls put themselves more at risk than others. Some girls go out clubbing wearing next to nothing, get blind drunk, flirt with anything and everything, and leave themselves exposed to all sorts of abhorrent behaviour by unscrupulous men. But does that make it OK to rape them????!!!! Get a grip!

Rugby players, more than anyone, have a responsibility to act with integrity. We all do, but they, as international ambassadors and role models, hold even more of a resonsibility to be upstanding, decent human beings. And that includes not f**king every drooling, half-cut slapper who throws herself at your cock.

Calm down BB, no one is saying their behaviour is ok. Andy Haden isn't saying it either. Their behaviour is barbaric - at best. Ambassadors - sorry but that's bollocks. Just because they're tough, and good at a sport doesn't make them ambassadors - far from it. The world over Rugby, League, Grid Iron, Soccer, they all have individuals who behave that way which means the last thing they should be called, or held up to be, is an ambassador. Rock & pop stars aren't ambassadors either, just because they have lots of $ and can afford to fly to Africa and have their photo taken for their marketing/PR people to capitalise on.

The word ambassador should be associated with people who actually merit the title.

Andy Haden was telling the truth and no more than hasn't been said a million times already. What he is getting is purely a media beat up, nothing more. Why? probably just a slow news day or maybe a female took it out of context, I don't know. I suspect by BB's comment, she read the news rather than listened to what Andy actually said. Please excuse me if that's wrong but it just looks a bit that way from the way the post is written.

He never said rape was OK, quite the opposite. All he said was that in the light of day some ladies do realise the drunken consentual shagging the night before might knot be a good look so they claim it was something else, rape being just one. Who hasn't woken up at least one morning and rolled over only to think 'Oh crap' and knot in a good way.

Rugby Players are only ambassadors if you want them to be. Don't forget NZ is pretty bloody good at elevating a 18yo nobody to a legend overnight purely based on one decent sprint down the sideline of a paddock. Then that player goes wobbly?, it shouldn't be a surprise. I can't think of one that professes to be anything more than a bloke wearing studded shoes. It's the public putting them on pedestals, knot the players.

And it's knot exclusive to rugby. I've been at one or 2 yachting after matches which could only be described as very f**king grotty.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Couldn't agree more KM and ya beat me to it. I mean, are these girls stupid or what? It seems they are fairly predatory in hunting down Rugby stars at after match functions, then cry foul after the event, when surely they knew they were angling for a good bonk?? Sure when it comes down to saying "NO" you have to listen no matter how pissed you are, but they have to accept a little bit of responsibility by being in a Rugby player's hotel room at 2.00am, surely? I found old Andy to be quite refreshing, but pretty loose lipped politically, and unfortunately he has shot himself in the foot. No one is defending rapists, but then the women shouldn't be defending the women who "cry wolf" and destroy men's lives either.

I think men should be perfectly capable of defending themselves against potential fallout, by, eh just not going there in the first place. If it seems like a situation that could be deemed later on as 'taking advantage' of a girl, then I'd strongly recommend keeping your pants on. Whether she's 'gagging for it' or not.

Oh wait, I forgot, that's right. Men are physiologically incapable of not having sex with any female who wants to have sex with them.

And what do you call an ambassador if not someone who is representing their country on an international stage? Even if they are not ambassadors though, they are still role models to a lot of young kids, whether we ask them to be or not. I think the rather healthy pay cheque of a professional sportsperson should naturally be accompanied by a sense of social responsibility.

Good call on the ambassador angle BB, I wasn't quite thinking that way last post but you have a highly valid point. Role model being the key words I think.

There definitely are situations where some ladies throws themselves at blokes and the blokes go 'Wow back up that bus, I'm knot going there', and baring in mind it works both ways as blokes are a damn site more slutty than ladies as a general rule.

But how is anyone going to know at 2am whether the lady who willingly walked back to your hotel room with you, actually is thinking No or will be in the morning?

Surely if she comes back with you giggling and so on then gets her gear off and heads for your man jewels, pissed or knot, it would indicate she is at least knot unwilling to entertain a shag. Sure if she's comatosed it's best knot to go there and may I add, probably no fun if you did anyway.

Responsibility is a 2 way street. If any lady really doesn't want it just say or don't put yourself in a situation where it's highly possible all those around her to think she may do. I'd suggest if you spent the night rubbing against a prominent sportsperson, who are well used to having 'willing groupies', and make no mistake there are a fair whack of those, then followed said person back to a hotel room at 2am, the chances are they aren't doing it just to read the Gideon Bible.

Doing that would be like standing up during a gybe. Sure the boom may miss but the chances are very high you know your putting yourself in a potentially dangerous spot. If you don't like that danger, potential or knot, don't stand up.

As as an aside we are back on topic. My Ma-in-law is a strong yachter. She stood up during a gybe. Damn near took her head clean off and made one hell of a mess. To this day she reckons that would have killed a mere male. Knot that I'm brave enough to call her sexist though :lol:

I think men should be perfectly capable of defending themselves against potential fallout, by, eh just not going there in the first place. If it seems like a situation that could be deemed later on as 'taking advantage' of a girl, then I'd strongly recommend keeping your pants on. Whether she's 'gagging for it' or not.

Oh wait, I forgot, that's right. Men are physiologically incapable of not having sex with any female who wants to have sex with them.

I know you might have meant that sarcastically but it's not far wrong, especially when there's quite a few beers involved. Pretty sad state of affairs but it's been the same for thousands of years. There are some gentlemen left, so don't crucify all of us.

Oh KM, how wise and omniscient you are. Us mere mortals can merely bow down to your great all-knowingness! :wink:

No seriously though, you're right - the responsibility belongs to both parties. Girls who go out wearing bugger all, drinking everything behind the bar and acting like they want to shag anything that moves are clearly irresponsible, as are the despicable men who hump comatose teenagers. Funnily enough, both actions seem indicative of a severe self-esteem deficit.

My problem with Haden's comment is that it seemed to suggest an attitude that puts the blame for the outcome squarely at the female's feet. He should have just kept his big fat under-educated gob shut and let the whole ugly mess blow over on its own.

Well BB I agree with the last paragraph in your 3rd to last post. (had to change it as you posted again while I was typing) In principle - but the reality is not gonna be so rosy I'm afraid. HOWEVER! I might be wrong but what I see coming through from you quite strongly is an opinion that no matter what a woman does it's the man's fault. If a woman "throws herself" at a man why should he refuse. One on hand you write about equal rights for women, which by the way includes them having the right to get drunk and have a shag they regret the next day, but men are still supposed to protect those same women from themselves? Have I misunderstood the content of your post? It reads like that you see.

Guest Dry Reach
So BB you would agree with Andy Haden then?
:wtf:

Um, no. I was appalled at his comments. Yes, some girls put themselves more at risk than others. Some girls go out clubbing wearing next to nothing, get blind drunk, flirt with anything and everything, and leave themselves exposed to all sorts of abhorrent behaviour by unscrupulous men. But does that make it OK to rape them????!!!! Get a grip!

Rugby players, more than anyone, have a responsibility to act with integrity. We all do, but they, as international ambassadors and role models, hold even more of a resonsibility to be upstanding, decent human beings. And that includes not f**king every drooling, half-cut slapper who throws herself at your cock.

Totally agree with that rant! except one thing...

ther only role model of the last twenty years in rugby is John Kirwan (so far)!

the rest have done sod all except play rugby and pleasure themselves with their earnings.

Role Models have a good Moral and ethical "proven History" and should be measured later in life when their history is proven.

telling people that a young rugby star is a role model is stupid when he then goes out and gets caught breaking the law the next week.

role models should be judged at the end of their lifes and not for one little window of their life were things are going well.

the best role model is Sir ED.

and any slapper who throws themselves at your Cock would no doubt have a desease!

I have the most amazing eye brows and also, for a few years, acheived the kind of pseudo male-god status that perhaps rugby players seem to possess in The Loaded Hog or other meat market dumps.

There's no question there are plenty of women in any club, who are a bit tipsy and not in full control. They see someone they like, maybe someone a bit famous, and get all interested, the guy pushes and pushes (or maybe the woman pushes), persaudes them to come back to their place, persaudes them to start kissing, and then the girl is therefore no longer 'allowed' to say, 'I'm drunk, you're an uneducated f*(king pig that after 5 more years of playing super 14 and then 3 years pro in Europe is going to get fat, marry some slapper and perhaps acheive pseudo legitimacy in some dumb career perhaps selling used ink cartridges in the photocopying industry, I think we should stop now.' Apparently, any other man that would hear this, should likely stop. But.....a slightly known rugby moron doesn't have to, as the girl came onto him?

Some of you guys sound like you want to take a dry root from some of these guys, they aren't necessarily heroes, they are awesome athletes (for a while), and part of being a professional athelete should be deportment off the field as well. If I was sponsoring the Blues I wouldn't want to know 3/4 of the team were a bunch of rapists.

If they were smart, they would behave like a hero; the long term good of the game pre professionalism was shown in research studies to be in jeopardy, partly because in that era of the early 90s, rugby players stopped acting like staunch men and started acting like thugs, on and off the field. This was explained in a speech a few years later by John Hart, the then coach during his tenure. He explained that part of his job as coach/manager involved also teaching more than one field play, but also how to give interviews, how to handle the press, how to dress, how to behave on tour.

Goodness you'd think these guys should get some dispensation for being a highly paid athlete? Hell no.

FFS there are a ton of women, if one turns you down and says no, go and find another.

I am willing to bet none or few of the complaints are this fantasy of she was gagging for it then the next day changed her mind. The ones getting up to mischief are meatheads forcing their one eyed yoghurt chuckers up holes univited.

NO means NO.*

* Terms and conditions apply

- rugby players reserve the right to interpret 'NO' in a language other than english and may change the terms or meaning of this phrase without prior notice

- anyone accusing rugby players of manipulating this phrase may be subject to abuse of being 'PC' or a speech involving the phrase 'well we never said they were heroes or people we should put on a pedestal'

- any interpretation of the above phrase regarding heroes shall not apply for lucrative endorsements or sponsorships

- Consumer guarantees Act shall not apply in the case of dissatisfaction with sexual performance

AA I am not suggesting for one minute that everything is the man's fault. I'm simply offering a counter point of view to Andy Haden's, which seemed to be that if a woman throws herself at a rugby player and then wakes up with a no memory, a hangover and an STI, it's clearly all her fault.

Archived