How widespread is Sexism in Sailing?

Guest Dry Reach

yachting in NZ is like yachting in the rest of the world and mostg other sports.

And it's not so much sexist as much as seperatist! (which drives the sexism)

look at the olympics, world champs etc.

can a woman sail at the olympics in the finn, 49'r, star, classes?... no?...actually yes, If Paul Elvestrom and his daughters olympic Tornado campaign is a precedent?)but they do not!

can a woman go to the world laser champs and sail against the men!... no...

and i don't think they want to! thus they have woman champs!

Can a woman play for the all Blacks or a man for the White ferns... NO!

LOOK AT GOLF AND IT SEXIST / RACIST RULES.

The only place you get mixed sex teams,races, or regatta's are in Keel boats and most non olympic classes.

The Hierachy of most sports support seperatism. and some fleets / bodies embrace it.

This is where the sexism starts from! because some females want to prove themselves against the men and beacause they are denied the chance they object!

And some men fear woman entering thier traditional male domain and object.

Yacht racing is more "open" to the opposite sex than rugby, cricket, netbal, basketball, golf, and most sports.

I also believe we had more woman in our sport about 10 years ago when we had the egnot's, shearers..., and all those woman in dingy's. But they seem to have gone and the numbers have dropped!

Finally. there are no barriers to woman entering our sport other than "classes that don't support them, boats that dont suit them? (finn), men that don't want them?, and the womans desire to go sailing.

The same could be said for men wanting to play the worlds most pathetic game... Netball.

Agree with smithy09, around the Optimist and P fleets there are lots of girls who are extremely competitive. Don't know if that translates to many carrying on to Starling/Splash though so there would seem to be a huge drop out rate at the mid-teen stage.

I'd replace your 'probably' with 'definitely'.

No one likes a screamer unless she's hot and naked.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In the context of this thread KM, it should be "unless she or he is hot and naked".

And KM.... I want my ferkin parrot back! :D

I apologies for such a sexist post. I do try hard knot to think of naked blokes screaming but admit it possibly may work both ways.

Sorry, I understand the Parrots is Brucey's ;)

Done a number of years with Ladies and Mens Crews, on 88's R930 and 1020's. The Ladies crew by FAR made less mistakes. Dont think my Ladies crew ever popped a kite up side down. Men did it at least twice. Once in the Coastal.

Oh god what have I done... I've created a monster!

I don't know about you lot but I'm getting pretty over this subject. Seems to me like most people who have posted here have reasonable theories and balanced opinions on the matter.

Then there are Brucey and Clipper. Who keep spouting the same tired old rhetoric waiting for someone to bite... I have no idea whether your posts actually reflect your true opinions guys, and frankly, I don't give a sh*t. I do, however, think it's time for a new topic.

Sooooo.... How about I suggest one? What about 'How widespread is SEX in sailing'? C'mon folks, all your juicy sex-on-boats stories here please!

It is seen that often when sailing you get wet, cold and yelled at (not neccessarily in an argressive way, but just to be heard). Females are far smarter than males, and they just don't want to do this. Its like womens rugby. Some play, but the vast majoirty of women don't want to. Fair enough

I'd love to see more women out there, and have always encouraged my current partner (and my exs) out sailing. They all enjoy(ed) it and at least one continues to sail.

BB, I removed my attempt to bait you, and left the rest of the words. I agree with the majority of posters. It seems to me what is said here on crew is at odds with what you said you encountered (in the other thread).

Now, on to SEX and sailing. I know that whatever I post on here would get seem by those who shouldn't see it. I am far from anonymous (as most of us are), so good luck with that one.

Actually I could with a great deal of confidence say that sailing is the ONLY place I've experienced sexism. How about that?

Sailing is a sport where you get bashed around and lift a lot of heavy stuff... it lends itself more to blokes, but that's why I really loved it, a lot more than netball. (note speaking in past tense, what's that about? oh three babies at home that's what)

And in answer to the other issue... yes girls are definitely very different from blokes and it's due to both nature and nurture. But we are every bit as competitive and keen once we set our mind to something.

yachting in NZ is like yachting in the rest of the world and mostg other sports.

And it's not so much sexist as much as seperatist! (which drives the sexism)

look at the olympics, world champs etc.

can a woman sail at the olympics in the finn, 49'r, star, classes?... no?...actually yes, If Paul Elvestrom and his daughters olympic Tornado campaign is a precedent?)but they do not!

can a woman go to the world laser champs and sail against the men!... no...

and i don't think they want to! thus they have woman champs!

Can a woman play for the all Blacks or a man for the White ferns... NO!

LOOK AT GOLF AND IT SEXIST / RACIST RULES.

The only place you get mixed sex teams,races, or regatta's are in Keel boats and most non olympic classes.

The Hierachy of most sports support seperatism. and some fleets / bodies embrace it.

This is where the sexism starts from! because some females want to prove themselves against the men and beacause they are denied the chance they object!

And some men fear woman entering thier traditional male domain and object.

Yacht racing is more "open" to the opposite sex than rugby, cricket, netbal, basketball, golf, and most sports.

I also believe we had more woman in our sport about 10 years ago when we had the egnot's, shearers..., and all those woman in dingy's. But they seem to have gone and the numbers have dropped!

Finally. there are no barriers to woman entering our sport other than "classes that don't support them, boats that dont suit them? (finn), men that don't want them?, and the womans desire to go sailing.

The same could be said for men wanting to play the worlds most pathetic game... Netball.

Inbetween all the crap you write DR, you do drop some goodies. I think that post summed it up pretty well. There are getting to be more equal classes like Laser radial (Both men and women) and the Europe (pretty dead in NZ now?) and 420/470, and of course keelers. Enough said, let's move on to Sex at Sea like BB suggests. Who had done the deed on the foredeck while cruising along under autohelm under the hot Greek Sun?? ME!! Back in the good old days... NEXT!

Oh god what have I done... I've created a monster!

I don't know about you lot but I'm getting pretty over this subject. Seems to me like most people who have posted here have reasonable theories and balanced opinions on the matter.

Then there are Brucey and Clipper. Who keep spouting the same tired old rhetoric waiting for someone to bite... I have no idea whether your posts actually reflect your true opinions guys, and frankly, I don't give a sh*t. I do, however, think it's time for a new topic.

Sooooo.... How about I suggest one? What about 'How widespread is SEX in sailing'? C'mon folks, all your juicy sex-on-boats stories here please!

One time sailing back to Sy from Pittwater, nice sunny day, in the cockpit. Look up and see a boatload of guys on a J24 who had snuck up on us (I wasn't paying attention) cheering

Guest Dry Reach

Tornado's are great! that wide tramp deck is the size of a king bed.

Has anybody crossed a finishing line in first place having sex....

.... In a diingy? :wink:

That would be impressive!

In alot of sports, including sailing, there are "Ladies nights" or "Ladies races". Of which I have no issue with. But it seems if men exclude women from their club or races then they are sexist ? I'm struggling to see the difference...

In alot of sports, including sailing, there are "Ladies nights" or "Ladies races". Of which I have no issue with. But it seems if men exclude women from their club or races then they are sexist ? I'm struggling to see the difference...

Its like the Maori Rugby team. Imagine the shitfight if there was a New Zealand White Fullas team....

Guest Dry Reach

Its like the Maori Rugby team. Imagine the shitfight if there was a New Zealand White Fullas team....

there is The All Blacks!... there are no "full Blood Maoris" under the age of 70 and most under twenty are 'more white than Maori".

the Maori team being Maori is like the All whites having all the team NZ based!, or Team NZ have 100% KIWI'S.

But back to the yachting! whats stoppong the "men" having a "mens series"???.... nothing!

One of the things I liked about sailing as one of the few chicks in the fleet (like in the SIMRAD we were the only all girl crew out of about 130 boats and I was the only girl in the single handed series) was getting in amongst the guys and still being competitive. Being one of the very few female boat owners made any victory all the sweeter.

I'm just knot getting enough :think: :think: :think:

Seriously, my ladies race crew are doing well, becomming a "team" and getting more co-ordinated. Whilst I was doing the Simrad, there was an experienced guest male on board who was impressed with their ability and attitude.

They now want to do more racing together in the normal fleets.

I agree with Zoe and BB. That is why my ladies are keen to learn more and are enjoying the Learn to Sail Keelboats theory courses I am running. e.g. last week we covered engines, batteries, fuel issues (YNZ Module 11) and I gave them pages from the Yanmar 30GM manual to study. Certainly it showed where the dipstick is located and we discussed oil levels, fuel filters etc. They are knot becoming engineers but at least they have had the opportunity to read parts of the manual and now know that such information is available in manuals.

I'm looking forward to any questions this wednesday.

So if information is available to anybody, they will become better crew. I wish somebody could of given me a copy of the engine manual when I was new to sailing. But that is what experience is, years of it.

So I am doing my little bit to help the ladies become better crew.

:thumbup:

I love having ladies on the boat, they usually do work as a team better than a whole heap of guys just trying to impress each other. I just wished they would remember to put the seat up. Hey my boat, my head, my rule :lol: :lol:

Cameron I agree with you in that gender bias of any sort, be it 'ladies nights' or 'gentleman's clubs', is not an ideal situation. I would prefer to see no gender bias of any sort, and for both men and women to be able to work, play and sail together on an even playing field, without the ned for segregation.

However, what you fail to see is that ladies races exist without being branded as 'sexist' because lady sailors are in the minority, and as such need a bit more help and representation to allow them to get into the sport. It's exactly the same as having a Maori Party and Maori seats in government. They are a minority, and as such they have less power, and risk having their needs and agendas trampled upon by the more powerful majority. That's why they are given a disproportionate amount of power for the size of the group they represent. Now I'm not here to argue the case for Maori seats or for the Maori Party - I'm simply trying to explain the reasoning behind the existence of 'ladies races' etc in sailing, and why it is an accepted practice, whereas having 'mens races' would not be.

I'm not saying it's justified, just that it's not unprecedented. In fact, it's a widely accepted and practiced strategy for 'evening out' inequalities in society. If you have any better ideas, both I and the leaders of the free world would be glad to hear them.

Archived