Is a PDF a lifejacket

Chatting with one of Crews uglier posters re some lifejacket action for his petrol guzzling, planet trashing fizz nasty and I asked why life jackets why knot a PDF?

He said 'Are PDF's life jackets under all these new rules?'

A damn good question. I'd like to think yes they are but in these days of excessive and increasing bureaucratic wankery it wouldn't surprise me to find out they aren't.

Anyone know if they are or aren't or ????????????????

Any lifejacket, buoyancy vest, floatation coat or suchlike with a NZ Standard or equivalent International standard - (CE or ISO) with a rated buoyancy of 50N will meet harbour regulations set by Auckland Council, or various other local and regional authorities throughout NZ.

That do?

I would imagine the key point at the moment is to get people wearing any kind of jacket that gives them flotation. Then in a few years from that happening, I can imagine a call for more fit for purpose jackets to be used.

In the US where the term PFD was, alas, invented, there are several categories, including some that could not possibly be life jackets. We are required to carry a throwable flotation device (Type IV) that could be a seat cushion or a horseshoe buoy or a life ring. None would be wearable as a jacket. Now we have a Type V, a devious classification that includes all inflatables equipped with harness attachment points. While wearing a PFD is not generally required of adults, Type V devices can only be counted in your inventory if they're being worn. Types I, II and III are essentially similar, differing in the amount of flotation and the head support provided. These would all be considered lifejackets by us geezers. Note, almost no US Coast Guard approved PFDs are also CE approved, and vice-versa. We're told cross certification will be with us real soon now, but existing jackets will not be grandfathered.

Archived