Bad sails/good sails

Bad Kitty

So we've all had pretty ordinary sailing days right?

The days when it all goes bad, stuff breaks, you pick the shift badly which leaves you 40 miles out in a dying breeze, soaking wet, 3 liters of fuel left & the only food is 4 slices of stale bread, a tin of sardines and 1 onion. No coffee, 2 tea bags which turn out to be some daffodil infusion sh*t from when your sister in law was on the boat 3 years ago.

And then there's days like yesterday, when predict wind shows 20 knots from 320 degrees kicking in from 1200hrs.

Pick up more bacon, bread & ice creams from Oakura (Whangaruru) at 1130, get sails up around 1145. Gennaker up at 1215 as we turn right at Mimiwhangata. 1 board, 60 miles later drop big red sail at Barrier around 1730.

Slightly sunburnt, few dolphin photos, max speed 17 knots. Only damage a few beers missing from bar fridge.

Damn I hate this life! :D

Happy new year all you Turkeys, hope it's a goody, if not just go sailing!

Had a pretty ordinary one yesterday eve in gissy. Went out into the bay thinking the wind would drop from 30 knots or so but it increased! When we got to young nicks head it was incredible, a gust came through and the working jib tore in half! We were sailing under just a jib and a staysail so kept going in behind the hills trying to get out of the wind which was about to drop apparently but kept blowing like mad for another couple of hours. My crew had rather frightened expressions at times! It eased off just on dark and we sailed back to gissy hbr just in time before it died completely.

Great post you BASTARD!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Funny Smithy I actually thought about you while I was posting that.

Was going to stick some thing in there about all your mates enjoying your boat but I thought I'd go gentle on you!

:lol:

Funny you should think that BK

As when I saw the Marshell out at Ponui last week I thought I should have a dig at Smithy ?

But decided that that would just be mean,

But fun :wave:

We are still unloading the van after the drive back from Opua. There is no better way to spend a holiday. We even enjoyed the day of crappy weather at the bottom end. Good food, good music, good books and nothing to do but listen to the wind and rain on deck. (even had a hot shower- never had a boat with one of them before!!)

But the highlight was the Tall ships and classics in Russell (again) - 90 boats, 20kn reaching course, sunshine, great company, brilliant meal and party afterwards dancing to the swing band.

Yup, nuthing like a Polar blast to make your testis rattle.

Still your Polar blast has been nice enough to bring me a constant southerly stream (ie warm weather) for the last 3 weeks or so :)

I'm concerned that it'll only last another 3-4 days, however....

Great post you BASTARD!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Funny Smithy I actually thought about you while I was posting that.

Was going to stick some thing in there about all your mates enjoying your boat but I thought I'd go gentle on you!

:lol:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Better than it sitting in the marina growing weeds!! Doesn't help stuck out here while you guys enjoy yourselves!!!

Thanks BK, I hadn't missed sailing until I read that. +1 what Smithy said!!! :thumbup:

At least it's not just me feeling the pain AA. :D :D . One of my fav cruising boats as well that Bad Kitty. That and P'zaz..... Speed and comfort. Bastards... Utter bastards! :D

Yeah agreed. In the nicest possible way of course! I think if I had a choice and the readies, I'd buy Impreza. Gobs of room and quick enough. But then again I don't have either of those... Oh well, at least I can afford a concrete mixer...

Yeah agreed. In the nicest possible way of course! I think if I had a choice and the readies, I'd buy Impreza. Gobs of room and quick enough. But then again I don't have either of those... Oh well, at least I can afford a concrete mixer...

Don't know Impreza.. Is it a Multi?

Yeah trimaran, what one might describe as a well performing cruising tri. It was for sale a few months ago but it either sold or was withdrawn as I don't see it for sale now.

I remember the write up about it in the boating mags at the time. Very positive. I'm sure there are peeps on the forum who know a lot more than I do about it.

Archived