Chainplate position

ducman

I want to convert my single inline spreaders to swept. I estimated that moving the hull mounted chainplate currently inline with the mast, aft 600 mm where the beam is about 2500 mm will give me around a 28° sweep to the spreaders if the cap shroud is vertical (spreader tips same width as the hull) Does this sound right? I guess shortening the length of the spreaders brings the tip in front and inboard of the chainplate, would this be more desirable?

Last question, I presently have a second chainplate 390 mm aft of the mast. Could I use this for the lower shroud or would it not be far enough back?

No one can or should attempt to answer this sort of question on line.

It is very complicated and there are a lot of variables involved.

Smithy has just been through this exercise on Marshall Law and I guarantee he will tell you it turned out to be a much more expensive and difficult change than he initially considered ?

Call me I am happy to discuss.

Tim Willetts

Hall Spars

TALK TO HALLS!!!

Yes I have just completed this excercise and it's tricky. Because (Tim correct me if I'm wrong) the spreaders raked aft push your mast foward, where there was little pressure before, and controlled by the runners, the mast has to be stronger to stop it just bowing foward and turning to spaggetti.. For me, the amount of stiffening required to reinforce the mast was too much of a compromise, adding heaps of weight aloft, so I opted for a whole new section. Halls really know their stuff and will do the engineering calcs for you... Can't speak highly enough of them.. Certainly worth a talk to them..... At least you can get your budget right from the start..

Regarding under the decks, you have to check that the new chainplate location is strong enough as well.. Talk to someone who knows their stuff! It goes on and on. Don't skimp!!

Good luck! Smithy.

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

20130717_144443.jpg

I think we need to have a 'Chain plate off'.

Smithys are nice but Boooooooorrrrrrring and pussy like in appearance. The little pasty looking things they are :lol: :lol:

Ok then.... seeing you asked :wink:

Before. Note the way the shelf goes right thru the middle. I wondered why those SS straps were there yet didn't touch the chain plate itself (other side out of site), they are holding the whole shebang together. Never felt concerned about them until we stripped all the crap out only to find.....

post-646-141887262714.jpg

After. What was the structure was extended a little and made a core with carbon/glass on top. Also a web mothered up with unis was added down the front for comfort (new interior design style happening), tieing the new deck load down and just extra meat, as ya do. The unis run from the window down to the keel floor. They will be extended up to pick up the loads off the new massive 105% headsail, the biggest I can squeeze on, and I do mean squeeze. OK knot that massive but after being stuck with 66% ones 105 is big for me :lol:

post-646-141887262716.jpg

So while yours are pretty mine have black sh*t.... na, na, nana :lol: :lol:

Ha, just found you can post pics inline, fancy that.

Archived