Brand NEW Alado Roller Furler Unit for sale

This is brand new - I haven't even opened the box that FedExpress delivered it in.

The only reason I am selling is that I have now decided to rig my boat as a junk rig, so the new furler is now superfluous to my needs.

I paid $950 USD (I have the receipt), but I am letting it go for $800 NZD for a quick sale.

MODEL: A1

Max. Stay length 35'

ALADO is designed to be installed above the existing forestay deck terminal.

The central aperture of the furling drum slips over terminals up to 1½" diameter for the model number I have.

Maximum genoa area: 400 sq.ft.

Maximum luff rope diameter: 3/16"

see their website: http://www.alado.com/

I am also selling the mast, boom and rigging. If someone should buy both the furler and the mast and rigging, I will let both go for $1500 total.

Is there anything in the kit which give a max forestay diameter? For the A1 unit the Alado website just says 'typical stay diameter' of 3/16 or 4.8mm. On my tri I have a jib around 130 sq feet, so its way smaller than the limit for the A1 furler, but I have a 6mm forestay. So I guess the question is will the bushings for the A1 accept a 6mm stay?

Is there anything in the kit which give a max forestay diameter? For the A1 unit the Alado website just says 'typical stay diameter' of 3/16 or 4.8mm. On my tri I have a jib around 130 sq feet, so its way smaller than the limit for the A1 furler, but I have a 6mm forestay. So I guess the question is will the bushings for the A1 accept a 6mm stay?

Hi mate.

Here is part of an email I received from Len, the NZ distributor, when I was inquiring about the Alado furlers. I think it answers all your queries and confirms your 6mm stay will be fine.

Here is the NZ distributors email if you have any more technical questions: sailfish.charters@xtra.co.nz

By the way, I was inquiring with Len about the correct model for a forestay in the 6-7mm range as I had not decided wire size -- this is all before I decided to go junk rig of course.

___________________________________________________________________________________

"There is no problem fitting the furler once the rig is in place. It is the best option as it is then hard to overlook anything.

The suitable furler is the ALADO A1 which comes with 35ft (10.65m) of foils in 5ft sections. The price at the moment is US$940, around NZ$1125 with the strong Kiwi dollar today.

The exact price in NZ$ will of course depend on the exchange rate on the day you order.

The A1 takes wire from 5mm to 8mm diameter and whatever furler you choose I would not recommend wire of less than 6mm for offshore.

The furler is simple to install and you just trim the the last foil to fit by cutting it to length with a hacksaw. This is not a critical measurement.

The cost of US$940 includes shipping, insurance, all taxes and duties, and clearance and delivery to your doorship within 7 working days if there are no delays at Customs.

The furler will be guaranteed against failure for as long as you own it.

I have attached a summary of the features of the ALADO furlers as I see them.

I have also attached a copy of the review of the ALADO A2 by the US sailing consumer magazine Practical Sailor, a subscription-only magazine which does not accept commercial advertising.

(It is so renowned for its critical reports that some manufacturers will not submit their products for testing!)

I don't agree with everything they say --- there are tidier ways of rigging the halyards, for instance, and two halyards are seldom used unless long downwind passages are planned. However, it is an objective report.

(The A1 is actually the same furler as the A2, except it has less foils.)

My involvement with ALADO started as a customer and I came to represent them in this part of the world more or less by accident.

After a circumnavigation in a small ketch many years ago and expensive failures with Furlex and Profurl furlers on subsequent charter yachts, I looked everywhere for a "bullet-proof" furler system.

I heard on the charter grapevine about the success of the ALADO furlers on large adventure multi-hulls in the Cape Horn/ Tierra del Fuego area and I imported the first ALADO furler into NZ having never seen one --

I was so impressed with it I agreed to be their representative when I retired from chartering.

Now that I'm retired and sail mainly alone, I have them on both the Genoa and main on my own Cavalier 32. I've supplied more than 200 of the furlers, many for yachts heading offshore.

They're proved amazingly reliable, having rounded Cape Horn and been through the Arctic Northwest passage without problems."

___________________________________________________________________________________

So, to reiterate, my ALADO is still in the FedEx package, unopened, brand new, and my price is pretty bloody good considering I paid $325 more than I am offering it for - but then again I want to sell it soon, and I am sure It will eventually go at the good price I am offering it at of $800. First in best dressed.