Davidson 35

Kestrahl

I'm not sure which Davidson design Wheels was referring to, maybe the 25ft pelorus motorsailer?

We did actually end up buying a factory export yachts Davo 35 and am pretty happy with the boat. Although the displacement is on the light side it seems solid enough to handle a severe beating, everything is well bonded and has substantial keel floors and chainplates. I was happy to discover vinylester under the antifoul instead of gel coat so osmosis is not likely to be a big issue. They were definitely a good build and design cruiser for their age. As said they have low sail area to displacement so racing wise the boat is quick in the heavy and slow in the light and would have probably benefited a lot from another meter on the rig or a larger fractional rig. That said we have seen 16knots downwind in a blow and are above all the Cav36s and Lotus 10.6's on racetrack. But below the top 1020s and 88's which is to be expected when its full of cruising gear and has a wind turbine on the back.

I like the D35 and 37.

But speaking of Davidsons, I see Spitfire is looking spectacular after her refit. That very light grey colour ( almost white)with a big red boot top stripe now.

I like the D35 and 37.

But speaking of Davidsons, I see Spitfire is looking spectacular after her refit. That very light grey colour ( almost white)with a big red boot top stripe now.

Hi guys. What's a 40' Davidson - 1988 - composite in Pittwater, NSW @ 49,900 asking - worth in real terms. Older boat but - how would it go tweeked-up a bit. Within reason ($ wise) could it be competitive in NZ with all you hot guys? Sure is cheap for that money. Any thoughts? thanks, james

I like the D35 and 37.

Hi guys. What's a 40' Davidson - 1988 - composite in Pittwater, NSW @ 49,900 asking - worth in real terms. Older boat but - how would it go tweeked-up a bit. Within reason ($ wise) could it be competitive in NZ with all you hot guys? Sure is cheap for that money. Any thoughts? thanks, james

Theres one here for $99k, but thats had a cruising interior and cat one gear aboard.

There was one up in the bay of islands a couple of years back for $70k, which then turned up down south at $30K after the insurance company had paid the ex-owner out for it due it having been stolen.

But in real terms, probably not worth alot. Its an old boat, built to a rule which is now out-dated, and which produced very type formed hulls.

SR, the short answer is as a race boat, it wouldn't compete.

If it were set up and sailed pretty well, it would play somewhere in the middle of our B divisions, ie, with the better, but not best, 35s. If it weren't, well whilst we don't have many IOR one tonners racing, those at the back end can be hard to figure which race they started in at times.

Good price, but if you were to buy it you either be converting it to cruising or accepting that it would cost a lot to go only as fast as smaller boats and you'd lose any money you put into it on resale.

James - Look at Archon Davidson 40 instead for cruiser racer. Asking NZ90k.

It has had the cruisng makeover - furler, interior, freezer, decent engine. It did a Pacific cruise a few years ago and been for sale ever since. A good buy for someone.

In terms of speed Mark is right. We did the windy upwind Coastal Classic. The good Y11s and 1050s were still well in front. We had Touchdown just in front and Sabian just behind. I think we were middle of the Farr 38s.

What cav36 are you racing against? I've never been beaten buy a dav35 or a lotus 10.6 yet. The Hanse 37 gives us good run for our money he's only beaten us once by 12seconds.

Yeah not quite true but depends on what boat your talking about there a certainly more D35's below us than above us, but they are a more recent design.

Faster reaching and running in a blow but slower in the light and also slower upwind in most conditions wouldn't touch a half decent 1020 most of the time but these are not race boats we are talking about here.

Cav36's have a huge following they even have their own web page. No one says a bad word about them. They are bullet proof in construcion,faster & bigger than the D35 leave p38's cav39's and lotus 10.6's for dead on the water and Dont forget that the Cav36 that is for sale is a cat one boat. It's totally immaculate from head to toe. It even has a water maker onboard crazy! The D35's for under a hundy prob have all orginal gear inculding the gastly bukh20 :thumbdown:

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this thread, but what's a Lotus 10.6 like offshore? There's a few around, out of my price range but I might get lucky. I would have thought the Cav 36 being more cruising oriented was slower. Anyway, Cav 36s are hard to find it seems

We've raced against a few 10.6s mk1 and mk2s round the cans, spinnaker , non spinnaker, 2 handed, across cook strait and have never been beaten by them. On a bad day when we've been behind we've never really had an issue getting past them again. Nice hull shape (for the gulf) but 5.9ft Draft and an funny untuneable fractional rig put me off buying one. ..and they use to be really dear on price!

Cav36's have a huge following they even have their own web page. No one says a bad word about them. They are bullet proof in construcion,faster & bigger than the D35 leave p38's cav39's and lotus 10.6's for dead on the water and Dont forget that the Cav36 that is for sale is a cat one boat. It's totally immaculate from head to toe. It even has a water maker onboard crazy! The D35's for under a hundy prob have all orginal gear inculding the gastly bukh20 :thumbdown:

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this thread, but what's a Lotus 10.6 like offshore? There's a few around, out of my price range but I might get lucky. I would have thought the Cav 36 being more cruising oriented was slower. Anyway, Cav 36s are hard to find it seems

Quite different boats, the Cav 36 was a IOR 1 ton race boat from the late 70's. The Lotus 10.6 and Davo 35 are Gulf cruiser/racers from the early 80's. The Lotus is capable to go offshore and a few have, but probably quite bouncy. There was a yellow one in the 94 june storm doco. Those era IOR boats do make good offshore boats for going up to the islands and are built like tanks with plenty of ballast ratio. They are also very cheap to buy overseas. The Cav 32 and 39 are the slow ones!

Having owned both a Cav 32 and wooden Lotus 10.6 I know a little bit about them.

Cav 32 while a little slow in the light is bullet proof with 50% ballast ratio and surprisingly quick upwind in a blow. They won a few offshores on handicap.

The wooden 10.6 was a great gulf cruising boat and probably quite a bit quicker than the glass ones. It could beat a Lidgard 39 most points of sail except upwind and the room in the cockpit and interior was excellent. It did use to bang a bit upwind in a chop. Not sure if I would go offshore in one but might be ok if you watched the weather and took it quietly.

I remember talking to Peter Smith who built most of the Cavaliers and owned the Cav36 Warchild. Not sure of his exact reasoning but he was not keen to go offshore in it and sold it to go offshore in a Cav 39.

We used to call the Pacific 38s Pathetic 38s because they were slower than the Cav 32. I am not sure how the Cav 39 compares but I think it is a bit better but no speed machine but still a good offshore vessel.

The thing is for good or for bad, the most common monohulls in Tonga last season were Beneteaus and Bavarias. It was also hard to find anything under 40ft. I didn't see a single P38 Cav39 or Cav36. So the definition of a offshore boat has definitely changed.

Archived