Laser Flares

Dambo

So, I was interested in this from another thread and decided to follow up on it.

Firstly, The YNZ Safety Regulations:

FLARES Race Category 1 2 3 4 5

18.7 Distress signals conforming to the current X X X X X

International Convention for the Safety

of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Regulations to be

stowed in waterproof container(s), and

meeting the following requirements for

each category as indicated.

(a) Four red parachute flares or Very X

Pistol and eight Cartridges, additional

to those in the liferaft.

(B) Two red parachute flares or Very X X

Pistol and eight cartridges, additional

to those in the liferaft.

© One red parachute flare or Very Pistol X R

and eight cartridges.

(d) Two red hand flares or laser flare. X X X X X

(e) One white hand flare or spotlight X X X X R

minimum 500,000 candle power.

(f) Two orange smoke day signals. X

(g) One orange smoke day signal. X X X X

and secondly:

Good Morning Mr Blake,

I’ve been passed your enquiry regarding Laser Flares to answer.

Under the Maritime Rule 42A, any distress Flare must meet the requirements of the IMO under the Life Savings Appliances Code (LSA Code) to date the IMO has not approved any laser flare, and as such, they cannot be used on a Commercial Vessel.

Kind regards,

Josh Smith (MM, MNI)| Domestic Commercial Operations Technical Advisor

Maritime New Zealand | Wellington

Nō te rere moana Aotearoa

T +64 4 495 9658 | M +64 27 545 2985| W http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/contact-us

So you can buy one for your yacht to replace the two red handheld but you'll still need to have at least one orange smoke, and at least one red parachute depending on your category (plus a white handheld or spotlight) but not if you're a commercial vessel which includes survey/charter boats?

Well in Canada the Coasties are not to tolerant of lasers. Last thing i heard was rescue helicopter and planes would not respond to a laser . Due to worries of blindness turn tail and run. But what ever works i say.

I have one. (Sailors Corner...$200 plus??). We tried its range and visibility with a CANANZ beach bbq sail-in on Waiheke and they do stand out and do NOT cause blindness!! The beam is not a beam as such but an elongated shaft of red light that can be swept from side to side over a "target" so they can get a fix on your position. As I understand it, they have been approved by the US Coastguard? Either way, they are an effective signalling tool so long as the vessel in distress has a target to aim one at! I also have a 1,000mw blue laser....now THAT is a___ (lets not go there!) :shh:

I also have a 1,000mw blue laser..
I think the idea is to raise awareness that you have a problem, not turn would be rescuer to Ash.

Oh "light"en up Wheels!! It pops balloons in seconds..turns clouds BLUE...and works well for its intended purpose, surface mount component soldering. but... sure is fun!! Aiming it (like a firearm!!) at anything you don't want to roast (shoot) is Darwin award material like the TWITS that seem to think the pork chopper..sorry, police helicopter are great targets.

I also have a 1,000mw blue laser..
I think the idea is to raise awareness that you have a problem, not turn would be rescuer to Ash.

I was looking at some the street vendors have here in Thailand, thought about buying one to put in the grab bag but had no idea what power I needed at the time, do you think 1000mw would be way to much? They had one that was 5,000mw!

If you are looking at a Laser Flare, you will need a proper approved unit. If you are looking for a Laser pointer type unit, be very careful what you bring back through Customs. It may not have happened yet, but I know authorities are wanting powerful lasers banned due to the idiots that keep pointing them at Aircraft.

do you think 1000mw would be way to much? They had one that was 5,000mw!

The CHINESE led lasers are...well...bright. They are not NOT N O T up to their claimed power. The "1,000mw POWERFUL blue laser that burns instantly" (trademe) is in reality about 250w!! I still wouldn't aim it at anything you didn't want to blind! A friend and I had a night of experimentation with it testing visible range (undetermined!) and power output. The next morning I was seeing red, LITERALLY!! Thankfully not permanent damage to my eyes but enough that it took two days to stop seeing a reddish patch over everything! It will burn (melts solder instantly) and as far as a life saving device I would have to say it would certainly disclose your position! The red purpose built laser flares on the other hand do exactly the same but without the danger and I think if rescuers knew what to expect in locating a stricken vessel it would be a life saver. No question.

Archived