Sandspit marina debate continues

shorebreeze

This thread would die pretty quickly if someone could tell us where the sediment is to be dumped.

Snap!

Could someone (NZ Rat? Or one of the folks who said the information was easily found?) PLEASE post a link to the definitive reference?

All I can find at the moment is a PROPOSAL to use said spoil to raise the level of the spit, but nothing concrete.

I'm on a steep learning curve, but it seems there is a limit to how much can go there and a lot of it is already spoken for, not leaving enough room for Sandspit. So probably not going to happen back of Barrier.

Happy to be corrected.

Maybe the Sediment is not going to be dumped.

Maybe it is going to be transformed into a Len Brown monument to celebrate the masses of "brown stuff" he has been shuffling around?.... or maybe .....

None of the last few marinas build around Akl, the Nth Island actually, dumped spoil in the water, anywhere in the water.... which includes Barrier. I can't think of any significant dumpings from any marina build going into the water for a long time.

And who have we to thank for all of that? A fella called Peter Blake.

Guest Saturday Night Special

even the information crew has been given is not correct there are no businessmen involved in this only club members.

The disposal site off the back of the Barrier is called the Auckland Explosive Dumping Ground and MNZ are somewhat unhappy to allow a lot of sediment disposal at the site because it's a site designated specifically for the disposal of explosives. MNZ allow a small amount of sediment to be disposed of at the site but they limit the amount. Another disposal site has been established but it's resource consents have been issued to an organisation that is required to do all kinds of monitoring and reporting to MNZ.

In order to fund all the red tape requirements the consent holders charge for the rights to dispose of dredged sediment. But then, what are your options?? :)

Ports of Auckland will accept some sediment to mix with cement to form mudcrete to help expand Fergusson Wharf but only if it's the right type of sediment and not contaminated.

even the information crew has been given is not correct there are no businessmen involved in this only club members.

I was repeating what I was told, is it possible the two are not mutually exclusive? I am happy to accept your assertion that all involved are club members, but my informant also referred to them as businessmen. Probably you are both correct.

Which still doesn't answer the question of where the sediment will go.

The stuff on the marina website, in light of shorebreeze' original assertion and the apparent reluctance to answer, various news articles, and the hard info I can't find where it ought to be easily Googled, lead me to the conclusion that the much-maligned shorebreeze might in fact, be right.

( Irrespective of whether or not you support the idea of a marina, which I do )

My reading is that the marina, under the guise of "save the spit" altruism, is more or less begging the council to take the spoil.

Happy to be refuted with ACTUAL INFO but be advised that simply shouting "stirrer" more and more loudly isn't an answer...

Closer by than anyone could imagine and by truck

Jesus NZ Rat, your credibility is going down faster than a K Road hooker in a Mercedes.

I'll take that non-answer as a reference to the "raise the spit" concept. *IF* the council will agree to that proposal.

Seems shorebreeze was right all along.

well said Banarri!

i think the lack of transparency says it all really.

A bit like the Christchurch earthquake commissions transparency on most matters down there.

The dredgings from Whangarei town basin / Kissing Point etc. are dumped into a large concrete holding area close by the Waka Ama storage area 1/2 way between the town basin and Onerahi, from which it is transported by truck across the road and dumped in a paddock that once must have been tidal before the Onerahi "super highway" was built. Works for them why couldn't it work for Sandspit?? Look to Lyttleton where many thousands of tons of spoil from the earthquake have been used for reclamation.

Obviously OK there, why not Sandspit?

Hehe, I always laugh at the Lyttleton dredging scheme. The Dredge works almost constantly keeping an 11M channel open in the Harbour. They slurp up the porridgy stuff, then simply steam over a 100M or so toward the shore and dump it. The stuff is such a slurry, it must just run straight back to the channel and the barge simply keeps slurping it up and runs it to the side and drops it again. It must be a damn good business.

nzrat...please give us all a break after a long week. Just tell us the dump site so we can all go and have a beer and relax.

If its on land, give us the address please. Why are you avoiding that simple question?

There's no point harping on about the dump site being even possible on the east side of the spit as written on the marina website. That's totally wrong and you should know it by now. There was a big fat NO at the highest level and unless your handlers have a cool couple more million to throw around on gaining a consent for that dead duck, then give that address a rest and tell us the real one.

is it your farm and have you got a consent?

Actually I'm starting to strongly suspect that there is no dump site at all.

Archived