Announcing the 2014 Route 66! - March 7th

Richmond

Weather was not what we wanted on faster coyote, but given it was our fifth race and first out of the harbour, we were happy with a fifth. Thanks ryc and all volunteers, I know that can be a thankless task.. Well be back next year, hopefully with some southerly!

Takes me 1 hour to drive to Gulf Harbour from my office but only 5 mins to Westhaven.....enough said!

Overall I think the marina management are doing a pretty good job of communicating and being accomodating to sailors.

Unfortunately the councils agenda is different and more focused on Joe the voter rather than Jim the sailor.

I guess you could write a letter to the mayor but then again he doesn't seem to care for public opinion...

As WO says, if you need to go sailing on a weekday, just drop into the office and they will sort out a temporary permit for you.

The reason the white space parking is now time limited is so people working in CBD can't park there all day - i.e to make the spaces available for people with boats who bother to get a permit.

As for the temporary speed bumps, unfortunately its a public road which means we do have to share it with silly joggers and lycra clad cyclists. From experience the usual Westhaven Drive speedbumps were most comfortable when taken at around 80km, which is what many people seem to drive at around there...

What a fun race the Route 66 was again this year.

We started with our screacher going low and fast. It looked for a little while like we could have crossed the whole fleet from Long Bay if we could just tack through 90˚ with that sail. When we tacked, we realised we couldn't!

Nice upwind sail to Cape Rodney, winning and losing places with shifts and decisions making it interesting. We thought the tide of North passage by Kawau was worth having, but watched boats just sail around us.

It was very impressive seeing the single handed boats being sailed so well. Tacking with a big genoa and getting it in as fast as a full crew could. Some good technique there.

We tried our screacher again off Pakiri, but the tacking angles were so bad again it was back to the self tacker.

The now casting signalled the South West change as darkness fell. Soon it was up with the screacher again and then the gennaker for the reach to the finish. Always a good challenge the entrance to Whangarei, especially the final gybe to the finish, but we got there.

As always a great reception at Marsden Cove marina, and we enjoyed the bottle of rum with onboard.

Thanks to my crew Kushila and Terry we had a great race and won the multihull division on handicap. It is always satisfying doing well on a boat that I've designed and built myself, and built all the sails too!

We'll be back next year.

Thanks again to all that put a big effort into making it one of the highlight races of the season!

Kind Regards

Tim Clissold

Pulse med.jpg

Archived