Announcing the 2014 Route 66! - March 7th

Richmond

Good to know they're through Tiri...must be a little bit of breeze, at least they're not becalmed!

bugger, was hoping I was the only one with issues so someone could tell me an obvious solution.

For those of you sitting at home on a fridsy njght

Breeze now 10 and tight reaching toarsden, making 7.8

16 miles to go, can i make it before the wind dies or i run out of energy

Being single handed.....

Managed to finish about 12.30 before the tide turned

Even had the kite on for about an hour, then dropped it to go around the headland to the

Finish, just got pipped by heaven n hell to line honours in the single handex race

Apparently i was third in the solo race as i didnt make it to

Prizegiving, i slept in a bit. A nice race and well run, thanks ryc,

Just neex some wind for the trip home now, my crew are tired of the motoring

All the race management and crew and helpers were up all Friday night to finish and help boats into marina. The last boat finished about ten minutes before 7am Saturday, so it was a long night with the last boat tied up in Marsden cove marina just before 8am.

So I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is quite bleary eyed over the weekend so might need to be patient waiting for results :D

This was the first time I had done this race. Was very impressed with the guys orgainising this event. Just brilliant to be told where to go after the finish, to have people guide you to your berth, get given rum and coke and chips and a berth.

Breakfast was awesome.

Great weekend away.

Thanks a lot!

Tramper's wife here..

I offered my services to OYC if they wanted an extra hand as I was just going to be waiting around for our boat to come in so ended up being on the berthing crew. Thanks Clipper! I was busy on A pier so didn't help you personally, but helped a few others. I've never tied so many bowlines in such a short space of time. It was great to see so many boats I hadn't seen up close before. I met some awesome people, and really enjoyed the chats I had with people over the rum soaked morning....interesting times....

So my thanks go to Richmond and OYC as well as all the boats and people I met. I had a blast :thumbup:

Results are now posted to the OYC and RYC websites:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/wp-content/upl ... 6-2014.pdf

Thanks to all that came and stuck out the start delay to compete and finish the 2014 Route 66. Of the 48 entries we had 44 finishers, from the overall line winner Ninja to Tramper just sneaking in before the cutoff.

Equilibrium took line in A Div open, with Lawless taking 1st HC and 2nd Line, followed by RnB 2nd on HC and Urban Cowboy 3rd.

The Div B singlehanders were cleaned out by Heaven'n'Hell; Chris took the line/HC/predictwind prize triple and was so overloaded he turned down a spot prize. John Barleycorn had a great race for 2nd HC, and Oracle just missed line and got 3rd HC.

Ninja took line and 2nd HC on Div M multihulls, with Pulse XTC taking 1st handicap and Voom taking 3rd handicap.

Thanks to all sponsors: Marsden Cove Marina, Coolstore Construction, Lombardini Marine, Lusty and Blundell, Kiwi Rigging, Sail4U, and PredictWind. Special thanks to Onerahi YC and the the team of volunteers at the finish and for Marsden Cove for hosting the finish so well yet again.

If you had a good time be sure to write up a race report. Here's looking forward to 2015!

Results are now posted to the OYC and RYC websites:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/wp-content/upl ... 6-2014.pdf

Thanks to all that came and stuck out the start delay to compete and finish the 2014 Route 66. Of the 48 entries we had 44 finishers, from the overall line winner Ninja to Tramper just sneaking in before the cutoff.

Actually Wishbone was the last boat in with just over 9 minutes to spare before cutoff. Tramper snuck in just before her at 6.40am, 11 minutes and 50 seconds before Wishbone did :)

Thanks for the race, great challenge single handed in my tracker

I had a great time. I'd done 130 and 85 mile trips solo before but racing in a fleet was something new.

Started well with the code0 but the expected shift to the right never happened and I ended up well to leeward of the fleet. Gave up and put up the genoa to play catchup which was always going to be hard in a building breeze.

Played the headlands at Tiri and Kawau which brought me back up to the competition and Kawau's North Channel gave me a good push to be in it other than the 2 88's and Oracle. Rev Blues and The Bondi Tram were showing great speed but lost a lot of ground going to Little Barrier and a few other boats tacked off towards the North East which seemed all wrong. I hugged the shore as much as possible to get the predicted/hoped for westerly shift and was probably the last to tack onto port at Pakiri Beach. Whilst I was doing the tack the wind swung 30 degrees. Code0 went back up and I was roaring towards the flare at 6 knots. Wind built and Code0 came down, wind lightened and it went back up and I had caught up Faster Coyote (who I'd been crossing tacks with the whole trip), War Machine and Echelon. Wind went aft and I went for the masthead kite. Big mistake, It was late and I was getting tired and the wind built and went ahead, 20 trips up to the bow later I got it down wondering why ropes jam only when you don't want them to, and where was my torch? Small things like working out what side of the forestay the masthead halyard was started becoming monumental problems. Back to the code0 and a loss of 15 minutes that seemed like an hour. Finished 4th solo boat behind the 2 88's and Oracle and 6th Hcp. 1st 930, just.

First time I've been to Whangarei Harbour. The welcoming team were awesome and the breakfast superb. Nice sail home. All round great time and looking forward to doing it again solo next year.

Thanks OYC and RYC :thumbup:

I might owe the 88 guys some rum :wink:

Archived