interesting...

Its a horrible and potentially dangerous idea!

The floats are not designed to carry the extra righting moment that boat would have. Any kind of sea would sink the floats and roll it over.

There was a J24 in the states that the guy did the same - Google it and im pretty sure it ended badly...

Have to agree with the mafia dude, it looks a tad dodgy. Also having capsized a Kestral T/S off Rangi Light one night I know they don't float well on their side so I see that float assisted one going down at a similar speed to a brick.

Cool idea but a little sketchy in practice.

Have to say this looks like a winter project where someone threw a bit of money and time and a whole lot of fibreglass for the net effect of achieving something rather dodgy and of low value.

...but, still better than most things most kiwi do with their time (IE - Weekends in shopping malls, gambling, playing spacies, Blazing in their cars...)

Have to agree with the mafia dude, it looks a tad dodgy. Also having capsized a Kestral T/S off Rangi Light one night I know they don't float well on their side so I see that float assisted one going down at a similar speed to a brick.

Cool idea but a little sketchy in practice.

well he has added 2 big lumps of sealed bouyancy to the kestral so that as long as they stay intact it should make it safer and very hard to sink given that most kestrals only have a flat steel plate keel and no added ballast. I like the idea and if it was done well . ie no inherant weaknesses in the conversion, beams etc, then turning a mono into a multihull has to be an improvement. :wink: Yes he could drive the cat hulls under as the older tris [ hartleys etc] do but you have to be pushing pretty hard first. :wave:

...but, still better than most things most kiwi do with their time (IE - Weekends in shopping malls, gambling, playing spacies, Blazing in their cars...)

:thumbup:

Misguided or otherwise, this character has actually been Doing Something ™, and it involved a boat. Ratty's criteria satisfied.

:thumbup:

Misguided or otherwise, this character has actually been Doing Something ™, and it involved a boat. Ratty's criteria satisfied.

And earning "brownie points" from his wife :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sipping Speights:

"It's a hard job for a Southern Man to get the perfect boat for a wife"

"given that most kestrals only have a flat steel plate keel and no added ballast. "

Kestral had as standard 1/2 dozen lead ingots

The 2 kestrels that I had didn.t have any lead , or any sign of it having been removed , there was space in the bilge either side of the centerplate case but given the price of scrap metal they were probably cashed in long ago. If they were not well fixed in place they would be dangerous in a knockdown . Even with that extra ballast the 2 windrush hulls would most likely have enough bouyancy to keep the whole lot from sinking as long as they were not holed. Have to agree from a financial point of view that it would have been better and easier to sell the 2 boats seperately before the alterations. I did make a tri out of a 14 ft maricat and a 21 ft surf canoe which was a great little day boat but because it was all just lashed together I was able to sell the 2 seperately as there was just no one out there that wanted it :shock: :thumbup:

Kestral Mark 1 had a flat bottom and steel centreplate only. The Mark 2 shared the same hull but had a more spacious deck/cockpit. The Mark3 had a stub keel with a smaller plate and either lead or steel shot embedded in the stub keel.

My dad had a Mk3 and close friend a Mk1. Both were cruised considerably and "raced" at club level

Not fast and you need to have your wits about you in tough conditions (best to stay ashore) but bang for buck a good little boat with a huge amount of interior space for 18 foot. Yes a few people have come unstuck in them but my opinion would be they were in the wrong boat for the conditions or location. Puddling around Kawau or Waiheke there would not be a much better boat in the range

Not fast and you need to have your wits about you in tough conditions (best to stay ashore) but bang for buck a good little boat with a huge amount of interior space for 18 foot. Yes a few people have come unstuck in them but my opinion would be they were in the wrong boat for the conditions or location. Puddling around Kawau or Waiheke there would not be a much better boat in the range
Concur, they are roomy for their size and price. We fell over due to drink knot due to the boat being a bad design as such. I vaguely remember it floating quite high while on it's side, I think as Rizzle wouldn't let go of the mast.

Hartley 16. Nail it up and get the money.

Kestrels. The laughing stock whenever they showed up at Torbay in the early '70s

..... along with the Herons...... :wink:

Yes. We were choosy little buggers that far back

and apologies to anyone who sailed/owned/...... whatever else.... on the Fat Castrols floating on the sparkling waters of the Waitemata.

Herons? Nah - yer on yer own

Archived