8.5 - 2014 Nationals Meeting - Swashies Thursday 20th Feb

Clive

The Ginger beers were lovely thanks. Lack of alcohol was a bugger but it did help keep the meeting on track.

Kevin did an excellent talk with tips to get the boats going better and making it through the nationals in one piece which was good.

Big news/rumor was John Mj seems to have bought "predictwind.com" AKA "need for speed" so hopefully that will add another strong contended to the fleet. John, can you confirm the rumor and are you doing the nationals?

I'll post a scan of the safety gear list which we are all supposed to carry on this site in the next couple of days.

How did the meeting go?

Lots of discussion on handicaps. A motion was made, and passed, that failure to turn up for the meetings results in a 0.05 increase in handicap.

Think we heard samin screaming all the way from the shore (or was that just the brakes from a passing truck?).

So after our meeting last night this is what I have come up with.

This is how I see the rankings for the handicaps. Boats that have not been sailing must have been making massive modifications so that's why they rank higher. Let me know your thoughts on this and maybe have ago at ranking them. Cheers

1. Borderline

2. Hurts

3. NFS

4. Stealth

5. Tigre

6. Freedom (coastal classic winning 8.5 )

7. Attitude

8. Dirty Deeds

9. Whio

10. VOOM

11. Hooters

12. Pussy Cat

I think it better that I not get involved with handicaps, I've stirred enough in the past.

My only input is that it should be set at the start of a regatta and not alter.

The reason I gave the handicap I did in the racetrack list was it was the average of both Predictwind and PushPlay, 2 F82Rs, but if you guys want me to run on Predictwinds handicap that's fine with me.

Deeds you are kidding right?

I think it better that I not get involved with handicaps, I've stirred enough in the past.

My only input is that it should be set at the start of a regatta and not alter.

The reason I gave the handicap I did in the racetrack list was it was the average of both Predictwind and PushPlay, 2 F82Rs, but if you guys want me to run on Predictwinds handicap that's fine with me.

This was dicsussed last night. The consensus is that there are a few boats with no recent history (You, Voom, Stealth) or recent mods (freedom) and there is a risk in locking them before seeing any results.

So after our meeting last night this is what I have come up with.

This is how I see the rankings for the handicaps. Boats that have not been sailing must have been making massive modifications so that's why they rank higher. Let me know your thoughts on this and maybe have ago at ranking them. Cheers

1. Borderline

2. Hurts

3. NFS

4. Stealth

5. Tigre

6. Freedom (coastal classic winning 8.5 )

7. Attitude

8. Dirty Deeds

9. Whio

10. VOOM

11. Hooters

12. Pussy Cat

Looks good to me. I wonder if Deeds is a bit far up the list though. If bobbo is away, better drop the hcap. And with a stiffened mast, surely stealthy will be quick.

Yep, lock em in. :thumbup:

Hurts and Stealth are going really well these days and predict wind will be foiling so no one will catch him.

Yea, without Bob Deeds will be struggling.

Here's my scientifically worked out list:

1. Borderline

2. Dirty Deeds

3. Tigre

4. Stealth

5. Hurts

6. NFS

7. Attitude

8. Whio

9. Voom

10. Freedom (coastal classic winning 8.5 )

11. Hooters

12. Pussy Cat

Good luck to the handicappers :-)

The Pussy Cat might need to move up the list - Mods that I know they have implemented recently:

- Centreboards

- Centreboard cases

- Changed their tramp setup to match the updated TC8.5

- Weight Reduction mode

- Stealth Mode - "Whose that GBE?"

- Stored "Iron Man" Energy

Be great if Stealth, Voom, Freedom, Pussy cat and NFS could pop out for a race or three before the nationals so we can all sand bag like crazy next to them...

See you on Wednesday. All new crew. We'll be awesome...

Voom has a couple of mods. 2 New beams, some incredibly heavy hard decks and a new back tramp.

But I think the big speed increase will be the new ferrari mesh storage bags down below.

Well, that and the fact the mast is pointing up, not lying on the deck where it spent 6 months.

Sorry, seeing as I'm in Tauranga now the next time you will see me will be the nats I think.

But then I would be sandbagging as much as you people.

Bare in mind that

1. I am not as good as John Bilger

2. I am inexperienced

3. The boat is longer than PE, (More drag)

4. carbon Fibre is heavier than GRP (heavier boat)

5. Mast about same height (new boat grossly undercanvassed)

6. I'm so old I'm nearly dead

Good too see some discussion on the handicapping. I have enough on my plate getting to the start line without getting involved in handicaps.

Anyhow my main concern is beating voom on line!

Sorry, seeing as I'm in Tauranga now the next time you will see me will be the nats I think.

But then I would be sandbagging as much as you people.

Bare in mind that

1. I am not as good as John Bilger

2. I am inexperienced

3. The boat is longer than PE, (More drag)

4. carbon Fibre is heavier than GRP (heavier boat)

5. Mast about same height (new boat grossly undercanvassed)

6. I'm so old I'm nearly dead

Are you bringing the long, heavy, undercanvassed almost coffin up for the route 66?

Archived