Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

Murky

Boat crashes into yachts

Fishermen watched in horror last night as a speedboat smashed into a yacht before flying through the air into a wharf and injuring four people, one of them seriously.

The collision happened at Herald Island in West Auckland about 11.30pm.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11203275

"I don't know why they guy driving the boat had no lights on and was going so fast in the dark. As the boat was sinking, all he kept shouting about was that he hoped his insurance would cover it."

See, I would have been torn... all my hard work being knocked verses the likelihood of the insurance company doing a write-off and paying me to buy another boat. Which is always exciting until you discover all the work the new boat needs. I think I would have had to physically express my dissatisfaction either way though...

Important serious question. I assume the rules still apply for the upper Waitamata Harbour/River? (which runs up past Herald Is). The reason why I ask is the speed of the boats that travel through the Moored boats and also close to shore. The river means no Boat would ever be more than the distances of 200M from shore and/or moored craft. Even those Big Race boats come test driving up the river. So there are no exemptions to the rules is there???

Important serious question. I assume the rules still apply for the upper Waitamata Harbour/River? (which runs up past Herald Is). The reason why I ask is the speed of the boats that travel through the Moored boats and also close to shore. The river means no Boat would ever be more than the distances of 200M from shore and/or moored craft. Even those Big Race boats come test driving up the river. So there are no exemptions to the rules is there???

it's out west which is " Outside the environment"

Anyone see the old power boat Outlaw doing 40knots down the harbour on Sunday?

Passed me 30m off my starboard side by the submarine cable pole off devo, barely missed a tinny coming the other way who Ive no doubt would have been wide eyed as this thing blasted by.

By the time I got to Viaduct he was coming out of there and took off again right in front of Princess wharf

I hope they throw the book at the dumb sh*t so hard it knocks him out.

No doubt a $250.00 fine and sent on their way. After all, that's what happened in Auckland 2 years ago....

No doubt a $250.00 fine and sent on their way. After all, that's what happened in Auckland 2 years ago....

Grrrrrrrgh. Anyone know if St Clair Brown manned up and contributed anything to the rebuild?

This instance - would like to see something like what I understand happens in parts of Oz... you lose your _driver's_ licence...

The big problem is you aren't required to have any training when you get onto a boat. The amount of dumb shits that go past my bat with 50 M going far faster than 5 knts is mind boggling, the last time out we were sailing past a marina and a dumb sh*t was doing around 15 knots in between moored vessels.

We either need to a. get people to get some training, b. put more enforcement out there, personally I like option a.

a Day Skipper course should be mandatory.

There must have been some kind of small power boat Club outing up the River here today. A procession went past going up river this morning and they all came back again this afternoon. Maybe one obeyed the rules going past us all at a slow speed. All the rest shot past and really close, which I just can't understand why they want to come so close with the main channel clear, but they do. Now if it was a club, then that is an ideal situation for some education.

Archived