The Solo Challenge

Zoe Hawkins:

To anyone who's ever admired Ellen Macarthur or Claire Francis or dreamed of doing something that's bigger than ben hur, you'll definitely want to like Ash's page and follow her on her journey to the Solo Tasman. She's not funded by parents or benefactors, she's the real deal, making it happen against the odds.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Please follow the link below to find out more:

https://www.facebook.com/Guate.The.Solo.Challenge

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my page, hope you enjoy! :shifty:

Good luck with the new boat, sorry I can't help with the repairs but looking forward to following your progress with Stinger

Living the dream!

Thanks Rohan! Could really use your help, but the moral support is always good as well! :D :thumbup:

What happened in the end with the old boat? I saw it at Kawau on anniversary weekend, did someone buy it off insurance and repair it all?

Yes, the guy bought it on Trademe real cheap, sealed her up from the outside and popped her back in the water. Apparently she takes on about a litter a day of water. I personally would not have done that, but it's his boat now, so can't really say much to change that. Atleast she didnt get chopped up for parts as she is a good boat!

Hey Scubash. Will you marry me? I've been wishing for a woman like you all my life. :wink:

Good luck with everything. :thumbup:

Ha :lol:

Well first off....how good are you with tools? Sailing? What baggage do you come with? Are you hot? How old are you? :think: :P

Don't think my partner would be to happy if I turned around and married you... BUt hey maybe in a month he will be running away from me, so stay tuned! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on guys and gals, just 2 more LIKE's to make it to 100!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stand by for one from my dog...

Haha thanks to your Dog we reached 100 LIKE's now I would like to reach the goal of 200 by friday, can we make it?

I'm working on a competition. :shh: Stay tuned!

I am trying to gain sponsors, need to give sponsors a good reason to sponsor me. That is why I am trying to drum up Like's. I don't want to pay for Like's as I want the people following my progress to genuinely be interested in what I, as well as my sponsors, have to offer.

You'll attract sponsors (& followers) by getting out there and doing something that gives a sponsor exposure and value for the money they're investing in you. Having a certain number of likes might show that you've got a certain sized following, but 100 or even 200 is a very, very small market to be exposing a sponsor to, particularly when that sponsor is probably already known to those people.

Hey Scubash. Will you marry me? I've been wishing for a woman like you all my life. :wink:

Well first off....how good are you with tools? Sailing? What baggage do you come with? Are you hot? How old are you? :think: :P

Don't think my partner would be to happy if I turned around and married you... BUt hey maybe in a month he will be running away from me, so stay tuned! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm an engineer, so I'm good with tools. Been sailing about 25 years...Only baggage I have is a carry on with my sailing gear. Am I hot? Well, I'm Italian :wink: Age is just a number, but I'm over 25.

Sorry about your partner. I hope he has GSOH. :)

I know....

I am not going to just stop at 100...I am just trying to encourage initial Like's. I only created the page on saturday. But having the page and constantly posting photo's with sponsor logo's in the background, mentioning them in posts and well if there is media coverage then they also get their exposure there. I'm not just fixing up the boat to make it fancy for me to go cruising in. I am fixing up the boat to race and to encourage more people to get involved with sailing.

For instance right now I am talking to the Coastguard and Boating Education to promote more woman to take courses to feel more confident on boats. Especially woman who are not real boaties, but spend a bit of time on boats because of their partners.

It's not just about me and my boat, it's about sharing the life on water rather it be cruising or racing. Like I have said many times before, I used to be afraid of sailing and now I am a total addict after just over 2 years and I just want to spread the enthusiasm around. I want to show that any one can achieve what ever they put their mind to. Although I want to encourage everyone regardless of sex or age, my main focus will be more towards girls. I am prepared to put in all the hard work I need to get the boat ready, but unfortunately I am not rich so this is where I need some help from sponsors to get the boat up and running competitively.

Its not just a short period of time, it's at least a 4 year long journey. Well until the Solo Trans Tasman, may want to continue to bigger things, you never know. Back when I did the Coastal and got interviewed by Martin Tasker I mentioned to him about my plans and he was interested in following the story, so we shall see. One day I would also like to create a charity back in Guatemala for underprivileged kids to have an opportunity to learn how to sail, train and maybe have the chance to compete competitively internationally. Guatemala is not a big boat scene at all, well at least not for racing. It's al about Hobbies there, and a few train on lasser just so they can go to the olympics. My new home is NZ and this is where I want to settle, but my heart will always be with Guatemala in the sense I would like to see good things and people come out of it, but with it being a 3rd world country and with all the corruption it is hard for most, unless wealthy to make something big out of themselves.

ok enough of the sappy from the heart talk... this is me and what I am all about... so either people are interested in supporting or they are not, regardless, I am going to keep on trying! :shifty:

So if anyone that would like to get involved, please feel free to contact me. :thumbup:

Guatemala - the port captain screwed us for an enormous amount of money to be allwoed to anchor for two days. Weather outside was nasty and I had a seasick kid so coughed up. I enjoyed the place and the people but that left a bad taste. Puerto Quetzal on the Pacific coast.

Guatemala - the port captain screwed us for an enormous amount of money to be allwoed to anchor for two days. Weather outside was nasty and I had a seasick kid so coughed up. I enjoyed the place and the people but that left a bad taste. Puerto Quetzal on the Pacific coast.

Yeah the corruption is never nice. Also uneducated people who are given a little bit of power think they are god and take advantage. But you find that in most countries, not just 3rd world countries. At least that is what I have come across traveling the world.

The ports aren't nice either...You needed to go into Rio Dulce, but to go there then you would have needed to be on the Atlantic side. That's where all the boats go during hurricane season to protect themselves. Look it up it's real nice! :-)

I'm an engineer, so I'm good with tools. Been sailing about 25 years...Only baggage I have is a carry on with my sailing gear. Am I hot? Well, I'm Italian :wink: Age is just a number, but I'm over 25.

Sorry about your partner. I hope he has GSOH. :)

:think: Hmmmmmmmm :think: :P