The Solo Challenge

Reading this im feeling a bit emasculated. Lol good going

Want to feel more? :lol: :lol:

I am about to saw out my cockpit to resize it, make it smaller bc I am so damn short...and then put it back in and fibre glass back together again.

OK even I admit I am nervous about this one. Especially with no demonstration...just a quick chat...ok do this....tell me when done. :eh: :wtf:

I ask myself everyday...what did I get myself into!? :think: :wtf:

Can't wait until the day it is done! I might take off for a few weeks and not be heard of. :silent:

Ash have just read through the whole 14 pages of this post. Talk about dim, although we have chatted via txt, I thought you a gay guy. Given your name could be M or F and you boat clean, wrongly presumed you as male. When you said something about your partner, he, I thought, oh Ash is gay. Just shows how one can get things so wrong.

Your doing great things. If only Id done like wise at your age. At a girl.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Many do! Actually, my first experience for doing a race, I was called in as he thought I was a guy and then was surprised when I rocked up and I was a girl. Was not given a job other than to read the course, but then I just took over a job mid race and was left to do it. Believe me you are not the only one, there have been many.... :crazy:

Funniest thing is when guys walk in the shed when both me and my now ex were there together, it would be only natural they start talking to him as if it were his boat. But he would clearly state he has no idea about boats, that I am the boss and that they should talk to me. (He knew it pissed me off when people just assumed it was his) They would still turn and ask him the questions, regardless. :x Some people just can't fathom the idea that a girl can also own and build her own boat! I have finally just learned to accept it....or maybe not....hence why the boy got the boot! :lol: :lol: :lol: J/K He just wasn't passionate about sailing, so it was never gonna work unfortunately. Still mates...still helps every now and then as well. :thumbup:

Ash makes me feel better having company with my error. Do so know what your saying re the male to male issues. Years back I put up many thousands on a motor bike, I paid right there and then, still the manager did not considered I was the person to be spoken to. Bad mistake, never been near that bike shop again. Yep, almost every time a winner with my boat it goes without saying, even when the male as you say has no idea or interest in the boat. Makes me mad as well and not inclined to want to continue any association. Guys, take note who owns the boat and pays the bills. This is a good business move, not to mention being polite. Enjoying your posts Ash.

Years and years ago, when I had a full head of hair... I sailed with a gentleman that always looked like he slept under a railway bridge when he went sailing.

Walking out the pier to the boat, people would avoid him like a bad smell.

We found it funny as that gentleman owned a major retail chain of stores, and the gossip was that if he tried to spend his money, he would pass away from old age before he succeeded.

Looks can be deceiving as Ashley and Old Girl have experienced.

Yes I know of a major brokerage who missed a very large sale by only talking to the wrong person recently.

It happens all the time

And just remember flash cars and suits often equal DEBT

Being semi new to sailing and ex motor cross racer you can tell at a glance who has done the miles , the way they move around boats, the glint in there eye near water and yes this apply s to ladys as well lol with motor x it was simple all walk not to good any more .lol good to follow your adventure and cant wait to follow your race ing .

Anyone free to help me or show me how to varnish my beams... ?? Need to get it done so I can glue the side decks down... I don't want to have to redo it a billion times until I finally get it right...  :wtf: pleeaase!!

Before, after and close up! :-) I sanded back my mistake and then I retried it with turps and ragging it on. Did 7 layers, and well it doesn't look flash, but it will do. It is what it is.... I call it rustic! :-D

10923628_600191340112587_94123302572110510422395_600191410112580_69198404002262610926408_600191490112572_937053511749122

Hi all! Sorry I disappeared for a while! I went home for nearly a year, as I had not been home in 6 years!

Since I have been back, the boat has been getting a lot of action. Saloon, water tanks, chain plates, head/wet room, wet area/bunk are all basically done other than the finishing touches and we are starting on the galley now.

I have a question re-galley....does anyone know the new gas regulations re the minimum height requirement from the top of the stove to the side decks? I'm going to put in an eno open sea with grill. A long while back I had a cat 1 inspector come by the boat and he said there was a minimum, but it wasn't in the every day books, as I think they had just changed it or something of the sort. Can't really remember.

Well for those of you you who don't have Facebook or have not liked my page (please do it), here is a link to see my page (don't have to have a Facebook account to see it) and to see the progress I have made with her.

https://web.facebook.com/Guate.The.Solo.Challenge/

Also here is a copy a of a post I posted last week or the week before with a reassessment of my goals:

So I have had a week of re-thinking on my goals. I believe they are achievable, but I know I will need some backing and support to achieve them in the time necessary.

My goal is to have the boat finished by the 1st of September this year. This gives me time to fiddle, learn the boat and practice with crew (preferably 2 handed female team or fully crewed female team) for the Coastal Classic 2017.

Then I will have 2 more months to do any other necessary fiddling and practicing sailing solo. Come December/January I would like to tackle going around the North Island solo. Preferably non stop, but this will be weather dependent and skill.

If I am able to successfully complete this journey, then I will feel prepared enough to achieve my ultimate goal, which is completing The Solo Trans Tasman Yacht Race in April 2018.

These are immense goals coming up in a very short period of time. I won't lie and admit that this is a very overwhelming and scary challenge, but at the same time will be very satisfying and amazing upon completion! I believe in myself and hope to surround myself with people for the next year who also believe in me!

Please help me spread my story and maybe get some friendly helping hands to be involved in this journey!

Thank you to those who have already been or are currently involved with my project! I hope you all know it means the world to me and that I am very appreciative of it...

Ash, great progress with the boat. Getting skilled help is difficult As I'm sure you have found out. Most of us are busy on our own boats, or work/family etc. Good luck with your targets, pretty tough ones!

By the way, a solo RNI is harder than the Tasman...