pumping out - proposed rule for 2km distance

rigger

They are talking about the discharge of untreated sewage.

When it comes to treated sewage the following is one bit I found.

Have not found anywhere where they talk about increasing the distances for treated sewage.

12A Discharge of Grade B treated sewage in coastal marine area:

(1) Any person may discharge Grade B treated sewage in the coastal marine area from a ship or offshore installation, but must not discharge it—

(a) within 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles) of a marine farm; or

(B) within 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles) of an area that the Minister of Fisheries has declared by notice in the Gazette to be a mataitai reserve under regulations made under section 186 of the Fisheries Act 1996.

(2) A rule may only be included in a regional coastal plan or a proposed regional coastal plan relating to discharges under this regulation if the rule does either or both of the following:

(a) specifies the distances from mean high-water springs or the depth where those discharges may take place for all or any part of the year, being distances of at least 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles) from—

(i) a marine farm; or

(ii) a mataitai reserve:

(B) increases the distance from a marine farm or a mataitai reserve where those discharges may take place for all or any part of the year, being at a distance of more than 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles).

Grade B treated sewage means sewage discharged from a treatment system included in Schedule 7 that is maintained and operated in good working order and in accordance with any instructions of the system’s manufacturer. Schedule 7 includes a list of manufacturing companies, their names, addresses and details of the accepted models. The Grade B models currently include: 

Delta Marine Head. 

Lectra/San, and 

Pursan.

Our boat doesn't have a holding tank.

we make sure we anchor at locations with toilets ashore, so not a biggie.

my understanding is the existing rule also mentions on an outgoing tide.

I doubt you could dump on a mooring at Hobsonville at anytime, isn't it virtually landlocked ?

I doubt you could dump on a mooring at Hobsonville at anytime, isn't it virtually landlocked ?

It's the Waitamata river, but opens out into the huge expanse of the Te Atatu Estuary (if that's what it is called) and then goes back to a narrow neck under the Harbor Bridge. Up stream it is river with several Estuaries branching off and is tidal and mostly navigable all the way to Riverhead. I haven't been up above Herald Isl, so I don't know how far up it remains Saltwater, but certainly around the Herald Isl area it is. Kingfish and Snapper get caught of Herald Isl often. But as it is fairly narrow here at Hobby, I wouldn't expect it would be legal distance from shore to be able to dump Blackwater. Depth varies, but mostly in the river channel, it is 20 to 30ft. Besides, lots of people play and fish all the way along it, so it would not be fair on them for sewerage to be dumped. Plus the Main Estuary is shallow and very warm, so nasties would just love growing in it I reckon.

It's the Waitamata river, but opens out into the huge expanse of the Te Atatu Estuary (if that's what it is called) and then goes back to a narrow neck under the Harbor Bridge. Up stream it is river with several Estuaries branching off and is tidal and mostly navigable all the way to Riverhead. I haven't been up above Herald Isl, so I don't know how far up it remains Saltwater, but certainly around the Herald Isl area it is. Kingfish and Snapper get caught of Herald Isl often. But as it is fairly narrow here at Hobby, I wouldn't expect it would be legal distance from shore to be able to dump Blackwater. Depth varies, but mostly in the river channel, it is 20 to 30ft. Besides, lots of people play and fish all the way along it, so it would not be fair on them for sewerage to be dumped. Plus the Main Estuary is shallow and very warm, so nasties would just love growing in it I reckon.

yeah, dumping anywhere there would just be eeewwwww yuck !!

Just made my submission on these provisions of the Unitary Plan as today is the last day.

If it helps anyone else, here is some of the info I wrote:

Provision:

PART 3 - REGIONAL AND DISTRICT RULES»Chapter I: Zone rules»6 Coastal - General Coastal Marine zone - 2.15 Discharges - 2 Boat Toilet Discharges

My Submission:

I object to the discharge having to occur more than 2km from MHWS as I believe this requirement is excessive. I support the other requirements of this rule such as more than 5m depth, 500m from Aquaculture, etc. If it is safe to discharge 500m from Aquaculture then surely 500m from shore is sufficient too. 2km will be very hard for a Skipper to judge and ensure compliance to the rule without the need to use complex and expensive navigation equipment, that not all boats have.

I also believe Part F is unsafe as it would still require a vessel to leave most of the sheltered anchorages of the Gulf to meet the 500m requirements of this rule. The safest anchorages in such conditions are usually well enclosed and you would never be more than 500m from MHWS until you are well outside the shelter of such anchorages.

Also, the current definition of "sewage" is not applicable to boats.

Requested changes:

2b - Change the 2km distance to 500m.

2f - Change the 500m distance to 200m.

Change definition of "Sewage" suit boats.

You can make your submission here:

http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/PLANSPOLICIESPROJECTS/PLANSSTRATEGIES/UNITARYPLAN/Pages/makeasubmission.aspx

Also, the current 2km is legally in effect, which means you can't do it now, however due to poor drafting of the rules, I'd say its unenforceable as they mucked up the "sewage" definition.

Sewage

Liquid and solid waste from domestic, industrial and commercial premises discharged to the wastewater network

Archived