Vigilant Police

wheels

Had a call on my cellph this morning from the Police. The call came from Central. Someone, possibly a security guard maybe, had noticed my Car and Trailer parked over night and contacted them. The Police tracked down my number via the rego and called to see that we were alright. Nice of them, but a bit of a worry of what may have taken place if I didn't have my phone on. Seeing as this is the second incident where Police have tried to contact someone that has gone out (re recent past post of some yellow cat) who on earth do you actually call to let them know your car is going to be left at some location and you are on your Boat? I mean what Police station where and who would you talk to??

Tony Flanagan of the Maritime Police is very proactive, esp with things like River Watch and general community engagement. He will be able to answer your question.

A J FLANNAGAN

Senior Constable 8354

Police Coastal Master

Auckland Polce Maritime Unit

C/ Auckland Central. Private Bag 92002. Auckland.

Ph 0800 102835

Anthony.Flannagan@police.govt.nz

Wheels, did you file a trip report with Coast Guard? I'd expect they would check there and many other sources of info before going looking for you.

Personally I think pro active policing is great.

Likewise.

Good info, Fish - thanks.

As I read it, Wheels is now complaining the Police are going above and beyond the bare minimum. The usual complaints from this quarter is that they're not doing enough.

Make your mind up :roll:

Likewise.

Good info, Fish - thanks.

As I read it, Wheels is now complaining the Police are going above and beyond the bare minimum. The usual complaints from this quarter is that they're not doing enough.

Make your mind up :roll:

Likewise, thanks Fish

For me I didn't read Wheels comments as a complaint but rather as a suprise and wanting to know what to do to ensure he didn't waste police time. I guess it is a gentle reminder why we should log trip reports with Coastguard. For me I am quite bad at not doing so and might have to revisit my habits.

We arrived on a boat we had recently bought one night around 10pm after a trip to the supermarket and with no lights hooked up were getting ourselves sorted by torchlight. 10 minutes after going to bed i was disturbed by a persistant helicopter overhead. Wondering what was going on I eventually got up to see torchs along the shoreline and a helicopter with searchlight circling overhead. Having a suspicion of what was happening i grabbed my wallet and rowed ashore to be met by 3 carloads of police, the first one saying "are you our informant" no i replied I think i might be the person you are looking for though.

One of the neighbours on shore or in another boat must have seen our suspicious looking behaviour and rung it in and i guess the police were having a quiet night,and responded in force. I was quite happy that someone was looking after boat owners in the area and the police were all happy once I explained and showed some ID.

Had a call on my cellph this morning from the Police. The call came from Central. Someone, possibly a security guard maybe, had noticed my Car and Trailer parked over night and contacted them. The Police tracked down my number via the rego and called to see that we were alright. Nice of them, but a bit of a worry of what may have taken place if I didn't have my phone on. Seeing as this is the second incident where Police have tried to contact someone that has gone out (re recent past post of some yellow cat) who on earth do you actually call to let them know your car is going to be left at some location and you are on your Boat? I mean what Police station where and who would you talk to??

Hi, this was on Coastguard Boating Education Facebook page this morning:

Todays tip - put your VHF call sign on your boat trailer. That way, if ever you are overdue from a trip and yours is the only trailer left in the park, you can be reached on your Marine VHF radio and we have your onshore contact details on the database.

So looks like Coastguard and Police have had a bit of a discussion about this already :)

Two agencies communicating :?: Who'd have thought. :wink:

It's a good idea. I am just reluctant and unsure of how much info I want available on my Car in a remote Carpark. But the call sign is a good idea.

Archived