IMPORTANT FOR AKL BOATERS TO READ

1 - MAKE A SUBMISSION ON LIFE JACKETS NOW!!!!!! or it will become a by-law. Don't rely on YNZ or AYBA and them putting submissions in as they will only be 1 submission for or against. Those submissions won't count for the 100's of boaters they represent. You your view to be heard you must make it so.

If you don't want to be a criminal and be fined for being a perfectly safe boater make a submission now or suffer the consequences.

2 - Interesting to note the plan establishes a pile of 'houseboat parking' around the Waiheke coast.

3 - The 2000mt no pooh dumping proposal in the unitary plan is in effect as I write this. There is a few things in the plan that become effective as some as they are included in the plan, the no pooh dumping is one of them.

If you think that's a crap idea then make a submission now. But in the meantime don't dump pooh 1999mts from a beach as you will be breaking a by-law that is in effect. Weird but true.

If you do make a submission on any of the above perhaps you could post the text of the submission here for others to see, and perhaps also submit on. I am certainly interested in what people read into the rules/bylaw and the issues they see.

Cheers

http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/licencesregulations/Bylaws/Pages/navigationsafetybylaw.aspx

You will note that Akl Council is making the submission process unnecessarily complex and daunting for many. This is intentional as they can't really be arsed about your opinions but by pretending to go thru the submission process allows Lenny to add you to his list of supporters. So you have to battle thru that bureaucratic bull crap.

I am certainly interested in what people read into the rules/bylaw and the issues they see.
If something is written cleanly, sensibly, using everyday language and free of the bureaucratic crap councils are well renown for, especially since Akl turned into a Super Shitty, then there is little opportunity for anyone to read bugger all into it.

Ok sorting this now

But am I correct in reading the proposed new rules say that yacht clubs must now apply for a "special reserved area" to conduct club racing ?

Part 5. 26 page 16

Ok sorting this now

But am I correct in reading the proposed new rules say that yacht clubs must now apply for a "special reserved area" to conduct club racing ?

Part 5. 26 page 16

I would guess that 5.26 does not apply to the normal weekly YC racing (unless temporary laid marks are placed) but would certainly need to be considered for the larger races/regattas, which is probably reasonable. However, a guess is probably not good enough - YNZ? AYBA?

The speed clause 5.14(1) is interesting. Certainly would be a few boats in breach of that one, even given the exceptions noted for racing in 5.14(4b).

That's the problem with these new laws, not exactly simple.

But I read it as "a person that intends to conduct a sporting event or any other organised water activity on navigable water must obtain approval from the Harbour master if the activity is likely to require temporary installation of course markers in the water." So any yacht race.

Then when you read on it gets worse for other users.

Also if you want to print and mail a form it's here, http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/licencesregulations/Bylaws/Documents/navigationsafetybylawinfobrochure.pdf

Last two pages

we have this in Australia; basically clubs submit their sailing season calendars and get the permit. special or large races need a separate permit but generally pretty easy. revenue raising mainly

That's the problem with these new laws, not exactly simple.

But I read it as "a person that intends to conduct a sporting event or any other organised water activity on navigable water must obtain approval from the Harbour master if the activity is likely to require temporary installation of course markers in the water." So any yacht race.

Then when you read on it gets worse for other users.

Also if you want to print and mail a form it's here, http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/licencesregulations/Bylaws/Documents/navigationsafetybylawinfobrochure.pdf

Last two pages

Ok I've done mine on line.

Here's what I submitted if its any help.

Bit of a rush as we only have until the FRIDAY to object to the unitary plan which I would suggest we all need to have a good look at. So now to make sense of that.

Part 3

8 (1) All boating is a risk and that is something previously we were taught and learnt to respect. Saying that by wearing a properly secured personal flotation device you can use that vessel in a situation that can cause danger and risk is not a responsible statement.

9 (1) The compulsory wearing of a personal flotation device will not improve safety and may in fact increase the dangers. An example is that at present I have a range of PFD available depending on where I am going, the conditions and who is with me. Some of my passengers (adults) I would not give an inflatable to nor would I give the PFD with a rating of less than 150N. This new law will now have most looking for a cheap and comfortable PFD regardless of the conditions or users. I for one will now carry light easily fitting PFD’s for use on a hot summer’s day and a PFD that is capable of saving a life is not suitable to wear continuously on a hot day.

The percentage of inflating life jackets that fail is concerning. I would also suggest that a jacket with a rating of less than 100N will not be suitable for many days on the Waitemata and Manukau harbours.

Is there not a current law that states a PFD must be carried for all on board? Police and enforce that!

Part 5

26 Special reserved areas, Stating that all yacht clubs and the like now need to apply to the harbour master for all events is another waste of resources and time with no benefits. Yes larger regattas and events maybe but then these are usually discussed with the Harbour master.

Stating that others cannot enter these areas will also further alienate the different users of the harbour.

This is a cost both financially and in time that will involve a lot of paperwork with no advantageous

Reading the section on reserved areas, I think we may be getting too hung up on our own interest of yacht racing. The Harbours department need to be able to reserve areas and exclude others when events such as powerboat racing are taking place.

No I don't think so which is why I have made my submission and as KM said "if something is written cleanly, sensibly, using everyday language" then we wouldn't have these problems.

If there is any ambiguity we are likely to be at the discretion of some pompous twat, like the guy who was find last year, anchored in the shallows, kids swimming around the boat and one had a facemask & snorkel, no dive flag.

Have just done a submission against the use of Bayswater land as residential homes, why because we are loosing to much of the waterfront. Anyone else want to help against this ?

Now I need to do some more research, just had an email saying I've got a 250 home development going basically next door. :wtf:

So while many of you may be saying it's all ok I would suggest caution, especially against signing a petition put out by a developer.

Had a meeting last week and the independent consultant that was experienced in town planning etc had trouble finding all that was proposed as some changes are written in several sections, only reason for that is to prevent submissions I would say. :thumbdown:

No I don't think so which is why I have made my submission and as KM said "if something is written cleanly, sensibly, using everyday language" then we wouldn't have these problems.

I agree.

Archived