What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

I guess it really depends on which Muppet fitted the windows originally and where they measured from. Ours will be different, I want to get rid of some of the side flex in the cabin sides. That might help keep em water tight.

S1d, yes longer of sorts - plumbing the bow and gaining some extra volume, pushing some of the topside hollow out round the WL, and reducing the hull rocker.

You think that's out there wait till you see the back cut LOL

It's all about stages and what we can get out of the hull easily. The next bit jumps a few stages and could be considered quite radical

post-234-141887267272.jpg

post-234-141887267275.jpg

Having bought Start Me Up (yes ex Slowhand still the old user name)for class racing I am somewhat p off that the class has been decimated. decison time has arrived. The right way forward is even more confusing after reading this history. I am leaning towards an AF keel in April, after being beaten regularly by the yellow boat.

Any one else looking at going the same way?

Airship dropped her original rig earlier this year. New one is being built by Bart... Drbob (owner) is in the process of commisioning a new deeper keel too. Maybe pm Drbob (Dave) and discuss what he decided on and why?

No big changes planned here. I'll be an old school with a few modest refinements and will be for at least 3 seasons.
Having bought Start Me Up (yes ex Slowhand still the old user name)for class racing I am somewhat p off that the class has been decimated. decison time has arrived. The right way forward is even more confusing after reading this history. I am leaning towards an AF keel in April, after being beaten regularly by the yellow boat.

Glad to hear the fleet is keeping on being modernised. The class is still quite strong, the difference is that it is now a box rule which has opened it up (overlapping headsails and carbon masts are only part of it though :silent: ). The original keel is proven to be just as fast given the right conditions (look at Hotdogger). There is nothing wrong with the AF keel, my opinion is that it's a bit old school compared with what I put on TE.

Auckland 930's (standards in bold) Boat, Rating, # Races

Fast Company 0.8239 86

Hotdogger 0.8209 21

Mean Streak 0.8074 39

No Worries 0.8052 60

Grunt Machine 0.8036 13

Pepe 0.8030 73

Local Hero 0.7894 60

The Entertainer 0.7808 63

Wild Oats 0.7632 75

Drop Dead Fred 0.7620 42

Scarlet Fever 0.7592 44

Splash Palace 0.7520 21

Squid Vicious 0.7407 33

Arch Rival 0.7281 32

Bondi Tram 0.7272 23

Start Me Up 0.7207 17

Lightfoot 0.7166 39

Yes, modified keels are up there overall, however I think they are also the best sailed boats in general.

There are a few riders to this. Wild Oats has a kahn keel, not standard but similar profile/weight to standard and drags around 130kg engine and sail drive. Entertainer has recently had a bulb keel and ranking will increase given recent performances. Several boats have changed hands over the past 2 years.

However it is clear a well sailed standard keel boat is not necessarily out the back door. The most telling thing I can see from this is the average number of races for the modified is 54, the average number of races for standard is 36. Thats a significant. Addition of masthead gear (I think everyone is there) and maybe a prod (my whole setup with a couple of secondhand gennakers was done for around $2000) will get you halfway there.

We have been learning heaps. Our performances in this years winter series are way better than last year. Racetrack shows where we are improving. A cursory look through numbers would suggest say we are 3% faster now than a year ago (monthly ratings in the .77's instead of the .75's) We're still carting all the squabs, bunk tops, full diesel, probably some water, 2 big batteries, stove etc etc. excuses excuses....

Sinking $10000 into a keel should be the last thing on the list. The time to get a new keel is when you're the fastest standard keel and want to make a jump. There are plenty of standard keel boats beating or capable of beating the yellow boat.

imho

I've been watching our monthly averages on racetrack and since I did the keel we've gone from .74 to .79 (average of monthly averages over two closest 9 month periods), admittedly we've added other gear as well, and in my opinion, we've generally been more consistent in our results but I do think the keel was the biggest change but the one which left me with the least, change that is...

The only boat in that list above Squid V that would comply with the old class rules is Local Hero (clip on prod excluded), all the rest wouldn't comply.

From what I hear Local Hero is considering changing keels and from what I'm hearing she will probably be the last one to do so for the foreseeable future.

Airship has been running fixed prod for a couple of seasons now. Replaced with a retractable last month.

Dropped the rig back in April so made sense to replace with carbon and set up for masthead gear.

Still running the standard keel and will do that for the coming season with idea to replace it next winter.

6 entries in Coastal at this stage

Grunt Machine, The Bondi Tram, Squid Vicious, Splash Palace, Wild Oats, Drop Dead Fred.

No Worries, Pepe and The Entertainer expected/hoped. Can we get 10 boats?

Archived