What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

Go the SQUID VICIOUS you good thing.... all be it with a damn ugly crew.

After 14 hrs of racing and the still mostly old school 930 crosses only 7 and 2 minutes behind 2 fully turboed weapons and in front of a couple of others.

Well done team :thumbup:

Go the SQUID VICIOUS you good thing.... all be it with a damn ugly crew.

After 14 hrs of racing and the still mostly old school 930 crosses only 7 and 2 minutes behind 2 fully turboed weapons and in front of a couple of others.

Well done team :thumbup:

Cheers KM!!

Epic race- and the boat was well prepared after a full on race!

Truth be told - I suspect we could have done better had we knot torn the Genniker to shreds of Rangi and losing 10 mins + ..... But then that would be making excuses....

We had an awesome ride from there under the old Frac Kite before chopping to the Lidgard Code 0 and #3 Jib. We sat on 10-15 knots most of the way up the cost - consistently sitting on about 12 knots. Not massive numbers - but great angle and solid speed. We sent it as hard as we could.

We had Wild Oats tear off past us with their Genny on from behind and windward to us -they must have been doing 18+ knots- only to head off to leeward. We found each other again - tack to tack about 3 miles off from Russell...and had us a match race from there. VMG must have been very similar for the different sail combos. Completely EPIC!

Don't think we'll have another coastal ride like that for another 10 years!

Question though- should we be tracking a record for the different keel combo's on races like this? Or only outright?

Either way- No worries completely smashed it given they snapped off part of their rudder too!

Going to be a while before the next 930 record is set methinks!

Hey 8 legged fella, can you explain to this slightly confused crusty how you finished only just behind boats that have been turboed silly with big sails, big keels, carbon sticks and the rest and who flew gennakers yet you're old, way old, school primordial triangle of a keel and gennaker free boat was only a few, a very tiny small few, minutes behind them?

Did you listen to me when I said more people would better off if they spent $39.95 on a Bethwait 'How to sail your freaking Boat properly' book rather than spending moonbeams on fancy fruit? Or when I said smarts can often beat $$$ if used wisely?

No I've never been called a sh*t stirrer, what made you ask that? :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey 8 legged fella, can you explain to this slightly confused crusty how you finished only just behind boats that have been turboed silly with big sails, big keels, carbon sticks and the rest and who flew gennakers yet you're old, way old, school primordial triangle of a keel and gennaker free boat was only a few, a very tiny small few, minutes behind them?

Did you listen to me when I said more people would better off if they spent $39.95 on a Bethwait 'How to sail your freaking Boat properly' book rather than spending moonbeams on fancy fruit? Or when I said smarts can often beat $$$ if used wisely?

No I've never been called a sh*t stirrer, what made you ask that? :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think KM you need to stop hiding behind perpetual boat maintenance and get the reptile on the water and show us how it's done :wave:

My take would be that obviously the rhumb line at decent consistent pace was just as good as diving with a genny then coming up under headsail which both NW and us had to do. I don't think there was a huge benefit of the new keel as we did a very similar coastal in 2012 bog stock standard and finished 3mins behind DDF and Pepe and won on PHRF. The key I reckon is getting the old girl to surf, which was really apparent when we overtook Urban Cowboy who was running the same configuration at the time but was probably not able to surf like we were.

six
Crap you're right, did I try to rename it Spider Viscous?

Getting there Ptown, you can't rush a craftsman..... or me ;) Stripped all the peel ply off the side deck bizzos this am and they look sweet with all the green, black, gold and boring white going on. But I'll be unlikely to beat you or most probably, I'm configuring for to be the Tortoise not the Hare.

Surfing is fun... and fast.

You ans Squid should have a chat about his anchor setup, I reckon he needs a upgrade :wink:

Archived