What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

...it all went quite wobbly. I don't really know the details as I wasn't there at the time.

Best way to summarise is that the "old boys" in the 930s couldn't rationalise why you would spend approx 30% of the boats value upgrading to a slightly faster boat with not a heck of a lot more enjoyment. This failed to properly appreciate the future impact of cheque book equipped new entrants most of whom have been the ones who have turboed...or so I am told :wink:

Ahh...ya live and learn don't ya!

I'd heard it was something along those lines. Always going to hard to change an entire class to everyones satisfaction, if the change was needed or knot.

just a small correction KM, Hotdogger is current 930 champion, not scarlet fever. I am really keen to see a Ross 930 Nationals held this year, and am hoping that it can be for all boats, starting together, but non modified boats racing in the open division plus their own division. the modified Animal Farm is now racing and looking good. 3 boats, Fast Company, Grunt Machine and Scarlet Fever race every week in the PCC rum race, last few weeks saw Animal Farm out there too, that is really good racing!!

Opps sorry. I though SF was after the Rockweld biffo, my bad.

Saw AF at a distance but she did look to be going well.

2 Divs plus a 'fleet' using Racetrack handicapping maybe??

Make it a single division with 4 times 'round a really short sprint w/l course per race so it is really close quarters / intense sailing .

This would elevate the importance of starting skills and crew work above the bells and whistles and save shagging around with prizes and handicapping for different divisions.

Also boats in need of a new paint job would have a greater intimidation factor when it came to top mark josstling. :lol:

Having done the Squadron Summer Champs W/L sprints off Westhaven in a sports boat the modified 930's would not be getting any advantage from their gennakers over the short courses, with the need to sail angles through boats that are still reasonably close. Then again if you were already in the lead it would not be an issue. The m/head kites would help but you say most have them anyway.

So, 3 or 4 laps of a short w/l would do the trick & provide good viewing from the bar at the squadron.

Make it a single division with 4 times 'round a really short sprint w/l course per race so it is really close quarters / intense sailing .

This would elevate the importance of starting skills and crew work above the bells and whistles and save shagging around with prizes and handicapping for different divisions.

Also boats in need of a new paint job would have a greater intimidation factor when it came to top mark josstling. :lol:

You're expecting me to go with a plan that emphasizes the need for good starts? Just what have you been smoking :lol: :lol:

The 'room on startlines or roundings by paint job' is quite crap actually. I thought it would give me lots of space but it doesn't :(

Last time we did the sprint courses it was twice round and a lot of them. Off the Squaddy breakwater, which was fun when you're neck and neck under kites and there was only 3 or 4 boat lengths from the line to the rockwall. Luckily it was close to a gap which many needed once or twice. That time most, if knot all, of the genny capable Turbos used symmetricals as they were faster.

I suppose we should start looking at and get doing some sprint stuff. We're geared up for distance with short crew numbers currently, have been for a while.

Hey KM you need to have races that have a "start any time you like" policy! Then you have a good shot at it!

I think everyone should run a start time is 10.00 thru 10.15 programme :thumbup: Probably still cock that up anyway.

I did pull off a glamour start in the 1/4 tonner last weekend. 3 coats more paint and we would have been over on the gun. Mind you we had been there for 4 hours already which may have helped :)

I thought it would be a good way to run a cruising race- pick your own start time and the winner is the one who finishes closest to a nominated finish time, then everyone is there for the BBQ.

Sounds like you could get away with just masthead gear for a while, but eventually you'll need to do the keel to be competitive.

Does anyone know the relative costs?

Mast setup for masthead gear

New spinnaker

New keel

Masthead halyard and gear, a couple of Hundy at a guess. Exit box, string, jamber = done.

Kite say 2K, but I want 3, one being a masthead, so that's 6K

Keel jobs, the 10K mark is a number bantered around a fair whack but I don't really know.

I've be planning on masthead capabilities for a while so just waiting for the rig to come out and that will happen.

Keel job?? Honestly the idea has yet to float my boat, as they say. At this stage what I have is a lot faster than the crew so we'd be better off fixing that bunch of dicks 1st :) Besides we have a lot of go-slow gear/systems and stuff aboard currently so we'll change those and see what happens from there. All very much a rush slowly programme though.

Also I think the masthead conversion would be quite a bit more, by the time you add jumpers and stays, even a jammer is over $100 these days!

OK revise the masthead kite then. Opps, forgot about the bits to assist the spaghetti rig as well. Jambers I have and I'm pretty sure I know a dude who can do a deal on the strings.

OK so I need the cloth dodacky and some jumpers.

4-5K for the cloth bit.... Ahhggggg, that won't help my next vessel acquisition fund. Christ and it's kites are pushing 3 times the size...Bugger.

So if you had a bog std Class 930 then masthead and keeled it, you could easily knock a hole in 20K, probably more as there is always something you didn't see or found while doing it. 25-30K by the time you have haulage, storage, a beer and the consumables.

And at the end you still have pretty much a 30yo boat, if knot a slightly faster one. Mind you a replacement with a similar size vessel is 150K minimum or 200-220K for the one I'm trying to slide past the other shareholder.

Makes my old shitter pretty good damn value fun for the bucks really doesn't it. But it still doesn't stop me wanting faster :lol:

Now I can see why BooBoo thinks SR’s are good bang for buck.

By the time you spend 35 to 40k on a boat, and another 20 to 25k getting it up to race spec, you could be into an 88.

So... back to the SR thread.

Are they really OK for Cruising, what sort of interior layout do most of them have? Do they have full headroom... or only if you are 4’ 2”

Mercenary is for sale, does anyone know the race history?, I see it was 2nd in this years nationals. Is the boat quick, or was it just sailed particularly well?

Unfortunately there aren’t too many pic’s on trademe, & none of the interior.

Are there many event’s scheduled that they expect good fleet numbers? Only 5 turned out for this years Nat’s. I think even the 727’s had a better turn out than that.

Seems that only Travellin Man is racing regularly with the up to 26’s , so where is everyone racing over the winter?

Yes Mercenary is a fast boat, they cleaned up the nationals last year and I would say it is one of the fastest SRs around. The only other one close is the Rattle but that was just particularly well sailed…

The boat was always faster than the jagged edge except for the very very light when its pretty even.

The new keel makes a decent difference especially for shorthanded and cruising.

They are close to having full headroom, but in the galley area under the hatch there is plenty. We cruised Jagged with a baby for 2 weeks and also did many weekend trips. With a boom tent they are awesome.

I have attached some shots of the jagged interior and the Mercenary is very similar and has just had a MAJOR done on the inside so is mint downstairs.

As far as class racing goes, we normally get 8-10 boats for the nationals but the last one was organized late and a few of the boats didn’t make it. Jagged and space station are in the bay of islands and I think trainsmash might still be up there too. Aqua vitae hasn’t been out for a long time but the others race fairly often, Gaucho is in a shed getting a tickle up.

A really great social side and the nationals dock party is always HUGE!!

Rattle

Mercenary

Gaucho

Markone

Trainsmash

Jagged edge

Space station

Traveling man

Aqua vitae

New force

T Rex

Copy of PC282275.JPG

DSCF3655.JPG

By the time you spend 35 to 40k on a boat, and another 20 to 25k getting it up to race spec, you could be into an 88.

You can get a 930 for less than 35 which is fully raceable and tidyish. If you want to race at a faster speed through the water then you need to spend the extra bucks..... or sail a lot smarter ;)

I was pleasantly surprised to see just how well the 3 Booboos (Mr, Mrs and Master) fitted into their SR. I was expecting a lot smaller until I hopped aboard. A bit of Tardis action going on there for sure. Mind you I think Boo (or was it Mrs Boo ;) ) picked the colours real well which gave her that real nice open airy feeling.

Archived