What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

As a cruising SR Lambretta would have to be the best around. Have a look on Trade Me. I think all the interiors are slightly different. I have the galley right up on the bulkhead, a long and short settee berth in the cabin and two big quarter berths. Only the toilet is forward of the mast.

yeah the rattle has the galley just forward like a Y88 so has the 2 quarter berths but we sacrificed one quarter berth for a bigger galley then a MASSAVE aft locker. They are all very different.

And they really are great little cruisers. I wil probably end up getting another SR one day...

DSCF3657.JPG

PC272259.JPG

Copy of PC272252.JPG

The only other one close is the Rattle but that was just particularly well sailed…

Yeah whats up with practising before a nationals, should be against the rules! :crazy:

From memory I think New Force Smoked us all at the Dock Party,

I have a funny memory of you and Pick Shoes though BooBoo....

Yes the New force certainly did 'add' to the dock party, we were already settling in for the long haul thou.....

The Jagged edge stereo with the extra 12" Subwoofer set up on the dock seemed to be loud enough...

pick shoes?

I got 2 girls standing behind me going ga ga and saying 'Oh... how cute is that'.

I'm damn sure they aren't taking about you Boo or Boatslut :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: D2 reckons you have Nathan jailed so he can't come out and drive. She wants to know who would be the better driver, Nathan or his Dad. And could the young fella drive while sitting in a bean bag? :lol: :lol:

My understanding of the history behind updating the 930's keels was that there would be one new keel design (lighter by approx 200kg and deeper) and that if a number of boats 'converted' at the same time, the cost would be reasonable (probably less than $5k). The assoc spent a lot of time talking about this.

It seemed that no one was willing to be the first 'penguin' in and I had hoped that if someone took the plunge and saw the results, then others would follow....

So I added the Ross designed keel to Shockproof partly because it was the same as the other modified 930 (the one that Tony Harold had used in the RNI race) and moulds, expertise etc were available and partly because it was Murray's design...

I'm not a 'cheque book' sailor (which is why I owned a 930 and not a Y88 :-)) and it appeared to be a good way to improve the performance.

Cost effective - yes, as the keel is still there and doesn't need replacing every couple of seasons like gennakers etc do.

Improved performance ? - I think so, but no doubt there will be differing opinions about that!

Given the number of boats that have made 'changes' its a shame that there couldn't be agreement about the way forward to try and maintain a semblance of 'one design'.

The class association's solution at the time seemed to be 'make no changes' and therefore retain one design, but a number of factors were always going to make that hard - given how reasonably priced the boats are, introduction of prods + gennakers, masthead gear etc etc.

Would I do it again ? - sure

Is your Ross keel the same as the one Animal Farm has fitted do you know 1066?

The AF one, so I'm told, is the same weight as the Class one but a smallish foil with all the weight in a large looking bulb, 2.2mts to the top of the bulb. Quite a bit different than my primordial short triangle.

Hey KM, Nathan tried to steer the boat but didnt do a very good job and I think the amount of concentration wore him down! He was passed out by the time we got to the marina!

Right now back to boats, the SR26s all have different keels with different bulb weights and I think it has really made very little difference. sure the new keels are faster than the originals but I think any one of about 6 boats could win the nationals witht he right crew and sails.

Rattle and jagged have the Mk2 original keel from when they were launched although rattle has added another 150kgs to the bulb.

DSCF2770.JPG

DSCF2816.JPG

Here is jagged's keel. simmilar to a standard R930 one.

AFs keel is a very narrow fin with a heavy bulb but I think recreation might have the heaviest keel?

Guest Rocket

I sailed 930s when the bulbs first went on back in the day (late 80s?). They definitely dropped the top end speed - I know (on either recreation or entertainer) we had a hard run in a big breeze down to Billy Goat Point where we flew a kite and no one else in the division did we got constant 16s with the boat accelerating to 18 then the bow would go under and we would slow to 16. Never really got her above 18 after that - previously she would have kept accelerating.

So they became much better behaved up wind but lost the top end downwind. I would say they were faster around the course but the nosediving was not so much fun. Since them I understand they have gone deeper again with keels - and maybe better shaped bulbs. As with their big sister the 40s they were pretty hard to get upwind pre-bulb - you had to know what you were doing and keep them on their wheels. Like the 40s they are a better boat with deeper keels and bulbs.

It would be great if they had had a strong owners association which allowed an agreed upgrade path to a controlled length prod and masthead kites - but that was really never Murray's way with boats he always tweaked them and good on him! It is funny that they call all the 40s Ross 40s yet they are very different boats - Compare the fat ones with water to the Spy and then look at the prods they wear... Way cool retro boats though.

Oh hell no Booboo, I've love a keel that looked like Jaggeds one above. That is closer to the turbos shape than mine. We basically have a old school triangle with a small bulb (150kg odd I'm told) screwed on the bottom.

Here's the only shot I can find. That is before she even got wet way way back on the day, late 1983 I'd say. Since then they fitted the small bulbs back in ??????

What's more that photo flatters the keel somewhat. See it on the dock and it's all ugly. What's more after another 930 recently tried to shift Motohie, but lost, I've seen the photos of where the lead is. It comes about 1/2 way up the keel, which is another ugly bit.

That's a damn interesting post Rocket. I noticed the small bulb added did stiffen them a bit from original, which isn't a bad thing for sure. When you talk losing top end was that with a turbo keel and bulb or just when they added the small one to the original design, which I believe all boats did at the time.

We've had the odd play next to a turbo and seem to think loading the rail with meat does negate a lot of the gains from turboing. One thing is for sure, a loaded rail 930 is way way faster than say minimum crew. The difference does seem to be more noticeable than it does on many other boats. But that could be partially due to the shorter class keels, we have noticed she's a lot lot quicker if you can keep her dead upright. Twitchy bastard things :)

post-646-141887162236.jpg

I have always wondered why the R40's were grouped together too Rocket. The skinny mark 1 versions easily the most popular.

I should start a thread "where are all the MK I Ross 40's now.."

Changing the keel on Jesse james was a no brainer especailly when we discovered the old keel was built 150 kgs too light and also noted a slight loss in top end downwind performance. The gains with the new keel reaching and upwind more than compensated and made the boat.

I think this is the 'class' keel with small bulb - sorry about the angle of the shot.

In profile looks more like the Reptile's, perhaps a bit longer.

Did some fairing on it recently and it seems it's lead all the way up to the deadwood about three inches from the hull join.

Surely still tender and does benefit from stacking the rail in a blow. Seems to me to track better upwind in a blow than the narrow fin on Testarossa, but Mr R Snr might have a different view.

Prod reports are true - 2m fixed prod is attached to pulpit base. Self-tacker has been removed (but reserved in case of a desire to return to class).

I am continually astounded at the pounding these boats will take and come back for more still in one piece. Pretty good bang for the buck.

airship.jpg

airship.jpg

Archived