What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

A - Primordial triangle with pimple for 1,2 and 4. Mid session Turbo for no. 3 and early Turbo for no. 5.

I thought 2 and 4 were the same but I didn't realise 1 as well. So there are some that were overlooked.

Anyone got a 88 keel photo, a Class knot a bulbed version. I think they are in the Primordial area also, just be interested to see one next to a 930.

For the purposes of simplicity, we just call it "the keel" - there is just the one, so no need for all the other explanation. But nice attempt at muddying the waters. :thumbup:

Broke Mariner's boat of the week as well, I think.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14442

88_keel.jpg

No. 1 is very old school class looking. Certainly a shocker of a Turbo is it is one. Na, it looks just like mine does but you just can't see the zit sized bulb.

So the 88's are very similar but with a tad more rake. The 930's are a lot straighter down the trailing edge. Muddying? knot this time it was genuine interest promoted due to hazy memory. Besides with so many Ross people watching here any Young stirrer would need to be careful :lol: :lol:

I found this pic, courtesy of BoatSpray. Leaving the shed obviously and after docking her pre Simrad 1, I must say I'm very pleased I left the paint job and deferred to their superior knowledge on paint choice. She's looking mint, 6 months and 900mls later. None of the freaky deaky I was used to each cleaning anymore. Damn near didn't need the clean really.

This must be the greatest collection of 930 keels anywhere on the interweb :thumbup:

post-646-14188716282.jpg

This must be the greatest collection of 930 keels anywhere on the interweb

A bit disappointing that we are missing a couple of variations though, I would like to see it fully complete!

It is a pretty impressive collection of SR26s, in both race and cruise mode too.

I'd like a suss of the Ross version turbo keel. Sounds sexy but that's as close as I've got so far. I think Herdy's is a little different as well. I 'think' DDF's and Herdy's are close to similar.

Hell, they are all better than mine :)

The new kite is so big its got antifouling on the foot of it. He will need more than that to keep up with us !

I'm sure we got you the other Sunday Mr dnf to much wind for you guys aye :lol: :lol:

Haha the mighty Wild Goats. Day used to own it when it was up in Auckland. Was a much loved boat that had alot of kit strapped to it. With some glamour sails... Good to see the boat is getting a good bit of love down south. Not sure about a glamour mast though KM? Must be one of the last Baverstock round tube masts still standing. Although alloy is very forgiving and i cant see that mast falling down for a while. It just bends :-P

had the back stay brake under mast head kite wasn't a good sight but the mast still stands for now

here's a few more pics of wild oats

post-10410-14188716283.jpg

post-10410-141887162832.jpg

post-10410-141887162835.jpg

Well, the serious discussion seems to have run its course so perhaps there is room for a bit of Friday malarky. No suggestion of any prizes - in fact I don't even know who would be qualified to judge it: :shifty:

For bonus question 1 I'd say IRC is be the answer.

Let's face it the 930 gets caned on IRC compared with some other designs, but between boats of the same design IRC should account for the differences in spars, fins and foils.

So, my suggestion for reinvention of the 930 class is to confirm a strict rule about the hull shape but have either anything goes or a simple max/min approach for the rest, and score the race on line and IRC. The cert will cost, from memory, less than 3 boat dollars a year.

Shite, I'm agreeing with AA again and whole heartedly, this is becoming nasty habit :)

Very good thinking Dr Bob. I'd certianly be keen as to look at that idea a lot closer :thumbup:

As far as I know there hasn't been any hull changes amongst the fleet, turboed or knot. One or 2 with motors moved forward a ways but otherwise it's just keels and rigs that have been played with from my understanding.

Other 930ers out there. Is Dr Bob's idea one you're consider looking deeper at as a class regrouper?

Also, I dunno how you Aukalofa's run races, but if say the 930s run in a mixed (say with 88s and 1020s and other mongrels), the Organising Authority could be asked to provide an overall result and a 930/IRC result.

You don't have to have a one-design race all the time, and it isn't really necessary to run IRC in a race separate from PHRF separate from club handicap.

Again Dr Bob, words of wisdom. A race within a race - who would have thought of it! KM I'm as scared as you are about feeling all this love - brother! :lol: But let's face it why would it be so strange that we agree, we are afterall two VERY intelligent men who can have a bloody good race and a chat for around 9 hours all at the same time whilst being on different boats. :thumbup:

:lol: They usually keep the 88's away from us lot, can't have us lowering the tone of their perceived goodness you know. Besides we have noticed a few 88's can't recognise their own kind so start racing us instead, usually to both our detriment.

The IRC idea just for the 930's works, just like the 88's running their own thing inside the Simrads for example, Upto 26 do the same and they both appears to work very well.

Been turning our place back to a home after a week or 2 of it looking like a refugee camp due to me getting jiggy with machinery, paint, etc, and have been pondering the IRC type idea. I do like it.

:lol: I'll go with your very intelligent men theory AA, there isn't any other possible option that that explains it really.

And thinking about it, I suppose with DrBob popping up like that we may have to slightly, if nudged pushed and threatened, almost come to the conclusion intelligent life may actually exist in the Sth Island, even if knot in large quantities. Who'd have thought that? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Regarding keel design, Ballistic has a Ross design keel, similar to Shockproof but more blade-like, with a blade-like rudder. Both liftable as well. There are quite a few other differences to the 930's but the hull shape is standard I think which makes it relevant to the IRC thingy. We did get it IRC'd but it was very hard to sail to the rating they gave us, not sure what their secret formula was ??

They will all have equally bad IRC rating for racing anything else, but may work within "class".

The IRC handicapper from Pomgolia spoke at RPNYC and made it clear that the more information you give him regarding anything that can be deducted off the number will be taken into account.

Someone should get a photo of Pepe and Scarlett Fever side by ide with their new keels. Pepe had the prod tube in and the carbon mast is supposedly ready too.

..one of my favourite sailing memories was the blur of yellow and red as Scarlet pulled an extreme cartwheel just north of Bean Rock in R2 of the 2005(?) Simrad. The one when the really ugly SW squal came through just after the start.

It looked like it might have needed a lot more lead down below or a lot less rag up top. Either way it was quite spectacular.

I've got a Ross 930 with the stock keel (no NZ class bulb) and have been thinking about a turbo t-keel for years. Can any of you on this thread with keel mods tell me what had to be done to the interior/hull to keep them on? Since no one was able to come up with a good shot of the original (vintage) keel, here's a recent picture of were it all began - Gaucho.

post-2950-141887173128.jpg

Ye ha, I don't have the oldest keel in existence :) :)

I do believe the turbo process does involve some strengthening inside around the keel area. A few more small frames. I'll see if I can find out what the latest bunch have done but I do know there was some tweaking, knot huge amounts though.

And it looks like the Ross keel (as fitted by Animal Farm, Scarlett, Pepe and ??? ) is the one of choice at the moment. Word has it a already turboed is looking at swapping his tweaky non-Ross keel to this keel also.

Missing edit button??

And I've had a birdie whisper in my ear a 930 has seriously investigated a floppy dangler and it's a work in progress but yet to be a done deal. Now that would be very interesting to see.

Anyone in the Cook Straight area like to expand on that for us?

Archived