What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

:crazy: Having bought Start Me Up (yes ex Slowhand still the old user name)for class racing I am somewhat p off that the class has been decimated. decison time has arrived. The right way forward is even more confusing after reading this history. I am leaning towards an AF keel in April, after being beaten regularly by the yellow boat.

Any one else looking at going the same way?

Take all that crap out of your lockers SMU. Last I looked there was a fair pile.... mind you Toles was driving so it probably was just been his hair and body beauty product bags :lol: :lol:

Yes wondering which way to go, if any, with the Reptile as well. She's coming out for a full xmas so now's the time to tweak if I'm going to.

If you did a dangler job you'd have to go the new Ross way, the AM one. Be a class in it's own right I'd think. One other boat has/is in talks for one of those keels also. He'll fold and go that way, probably within 24hrs of being beaten by Pepe if he doesn't sooner :) :) If I do a dangler job it will be that one also, it's a no brainer really. Playing with boats the same is always the best play time.

Knot sure I reckon the bulb size is right, I think it's awfully big, too big.

Looking forward to a Pepe V one of the 3 older turbos, it will be very interesting to see. Pepe looks to have all the tools, can they now use them well enough against the wise old heads that dwell on the other boats.

Yeah we got beaten by a yellow boat as well a month or so back. The grinning widely dude on the stick was very happy with his new protrusion.

Dear me KM, did the blokes selling you those elicit substances all those years ago warn you the effects would linger for quite a while?

Small little ones may do it when you're playing in the Weiti playground with no breeze, and certainly you want as little hanging out in a downwind coastal as you can get away with, but there's a reason why the 930s so readily get their little botties spanked by 88s in any racing involving coming back as well as going and certainly in stuff like the Simrad.

In racing, downwind is where the fun happens and little is good, upwind though is where the winning happens and for that, a big heavy one with a long shaft is what does it.

Very noticeable racing the 930s that the good guys are the ones with the upwind sorted, they may or may not get to the bottom mark first, they do get to the finish line first.

R930s seem just a little bit to narrow to get the best from crew weight, given equal crew, my 2c says the upwind gains from a heavier bulb beat the downwind losses.

Go light if you want to win only the coastal, Kawau races and light air affairs, don't complain though when you're looking second rate in everything else.

Oh my dear Data Lord sadly I must disagree with you to a point. I knew the effects of the substances would linger :lol:

No my comment was more why so big when you make zero other changes. It just seems weird. I contend that if the bulb was a bit lighter and you stacked the rail you would have a faster weapon then one with a massive bulb. We have seen that a Class boat can beat a Turbo given some sets of conditions. We have seen that generally a Turbo is quicker. We have also hard proof your 88 comment is wrong, may I suggest you talk to the dude who does Racetrack, he does seem to disagree with that comment of yours, either that or the 930 dudes have better bribes :lol:

I'm thinking and I'm knot alone... for a change, that you would have a better all round weapon by going with a smaller bulb, knot hugely small just a bit, and then using railmeat to adjust for the variables. I am assuming, like many who have turboed lately, you don't change anything else. I, no in fact We, think going to the monster bulb will be bloody good in some conditions but you could easily lose in others.

I do see your point which is both good and valid but I think a smaller bulb would give you more chance at allowing for a wide range of conditions.

It is really hard to say and to a point a mute argument as most Akl 930's don't venture past Nth Head and a few do all they can knot to venture into the silly ditch. So I suppose it depends to a large degree what the boat will be used for.

Also as we all know (YNZ excluded) a heavy 930 is a slow 930 so why add, guessing a little here, a 100 or 2 more kilos to one. I am told the new bulbs are a smidgen heavier than an entire Class keel and then you have the fin itself to add as well. What I'm suggesting is make the entire new keel no heavier than a class keel, maybe even a tiny smidgen lighter. Sure take the extra length for sure but just don't fit as much weight on the end. The new bulbs are massive and when I saw the plug I was sure it was a 40fter one that was going to be cut down, Nope.

At the moment, and assuming everyone is honest (bar me as I have no idea and just copied it from somewhere) there is around a 300kg variance between the 930 keel weights now, with the Class ones being pretty much mid range. The draft (keel lengths) of the turbos are all pretty much the same at 2.3mts plus or minus 100mm.The largest weight and the lowest weight are on turbos. Interestingly the lowest weight one, approx 165kg below a Class keel, is one of, if knot the fastest 930 hull shaped vessel out there at the moment. A recent Turbo may change that but we'll have to see. Yes I have knot allowed for any other changes aboard the boats, which in the big scheme aren't massive nor massively different from the class boats.

While I do enjoy our banter, especially that hilarious 88 contention stuff, I do also highly value, as much as it pains me to say so out loud, your wisdom or ability to make it look like you have some :lol: So what say you to the above?

Yes, I don't know what to do with mine and it's becoming annoying so searching for input, as I suspect Slowhand aka Start Me Up is as well. To Pimp my ride or knot to pimp, that is the question.

So many openings, so little time...

I will run with the mature one: aren't the days of loading a rugby team on the rail left somewhere in our distant past? I thought the whole popularity of two-handed racing was testament to the fact that no-one wants to do that much organising, dealing with the last-minute cancellations, feeding and watering, chundering, getting off the rail for a slash, a smoke, another filled roll...the list goes on.

The multihull guys have got to me and I cringe to say this but: lead is a helluva lot more reliable for the average owner than humans.

EE, you could be quite right. My subconscious is playing with me, quite likely.

Murky, Sorry to cause you undue stress, next time I'll give you less openings or more time :) I know what you're saying but I am blessed to have more crew (read as good rail meat) sick enough to want to sail with me than I usually require or want. And the advantage of this particular Mr Ross scribblings is a full working crew for a C930 is only 2, the rest have always been pretty much rail meat only anyway, there's bugger all for them to do bar sit and drink.

Squid, I know where you live :twisted: :lol: :lol: Besides it's knot the ballast it's the red sails, everyone knows red is the fastest colour :)

On the 'how heavy' question, I think it comes down to a question of whether you try to maximise your strengths or minimise your weaknesses. For a 930 which I think is already tweaked well into the downwind strength, I reckon there's much more to be gained by trading some of that strength into better upwind.

NW is an interesting one, reportedly having a pretty light bulb, she can truck downwind but then she's carrying (I think) more sail than anyone else so not quite so straight forward to judge where the gains are. From what we've seen of her though, she hurts upwind, might be sorting that out now.

Agree though that the extra keel depth on the modified boats with the lighter bulbs is quicker than the traditional keel both up and down.

On what to do though, The AF keel is nearly, but not quite, a new defacto standard, I think it needs only one more boat to change that from a nearly to a definite and that's the way I would go, assuming I had a 930 of course but being a member of the deprived majority ...

As you say, does depend on where you want to succeed, 2-handed I'd definitely go heavy, coastal passage definitely light, twilight or a combination of them all, more interesting but I'd opt for heavy.

Still think the Fast co / Grunt Machine keel is the quickest, now you can tell me that (1), they're different and (2) they've got the lightest keels.

hard to find info on the various keel weights and what there is does seem somewhat contradictory. It's also pretty hard to figure what's working because of the varying skill levels on different boats. Curious to know if / how far out of class Local Hero or MeanStreak are.

The Data Lord is no more, he got demoted into a new job as a soulless minion, he did mention though that Pepe seems to be looking to be about 6-7% quicker which is seriously substantial, SF not nearly so much at around 2-3% and the red boats are definitely slower and oh so 1970s.

The move of a couple of boats to carbon rigs seems to yield pretty good results but I'm not so sure the wider 930 community would be so keen to see it.

Nothing wrong with No Worries upwind speed.

The biggest issue there is trimming, and size of headsail. Their 150% headsail can be a bit tricky to get working in concert with the main.

I'm wondering about the drag on these new fins and bulbs. I think they have gone too deep in the fin, too narrow in the chord, and too big on the bulb.

See why I like Jono, he agrees with me :lol:

Very interesting analysis there soulless minion :)

Knot sure Fast Co should be in the mix. It has things aboard and things knot aboard every other boat doesn't have. With using eyes only Grunt machines keel doesn't look hugely different than the new one, no idea of it's weight but are thinking less. Certainly a lot closer than say No Worries or Drop Deads Thompson versions.

Local hero is still 100% a Class boat. Mean Streak, knot to sure how out of Class she is.

Grunt is up at P21 which is where I'm supposed to be in 10mins...... going deep for a suss.. stand by.

AA, is red faster or none at all faster :lol: :lol:

and the red boats are definitely slower and oh so 1970s.

Tell that to TVS

My red boat is definitely faster, just not in the light!

Holy hell, except in the light you're faster than TVS???

Gezz, how lucky was I to race you on what must have been a massive shocker aboard you boat day :lol: :lol:

Grunt gone splash again so couldn't suss.

Yes AA I did but was only trying to beat Murky to what was a very nice opening and just asking for a comment :lol: :lol:

Col, any idea how many KG of lead is hanging on the bottom of Grunt?

Archived