What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

Big is beautiful Marshy!

Nigel, Murray told me he was going to do the 2 handed 3 legged weekend instead. Might see you guys out there, if so come over to the marauder with the sounds cranking!

Yeah, looking forward to a decent skid. Been a little while :thumbup:

I'll come over to your Maorihoarder, but I don't think I'll be accepting any gifts from you Booboo... I am still relying on eyewitness accounts to peice together my movements on a certain Friday night before the SR nats a few years ago...

Plus being a on a 930 means I'll have to be a bit more mature - not so much "Dirty Sanchez", more "Unwashed South American" :wink:

Big is beautiful Marshy!

Tried that last tuesday, Big kite = slow, smaller kite = faster, mint green norths gennaker = fastest! Cheers booboo!

Plus being a on a 930 means I'll have to be a bit more mature - not so much "Dirty Sanchz", more "Unwashed South American" :wink:

Oh f*ck, that's knot a new Class rule is it?

Bugger that if it is, I'm selling.

One R930 for sale, excellent paintwork, one lady owner only used on Sundays to get to Bowls, owner buying a more deviant boat :)

Correct, but it is the model for what mine will be like by years end, or at least parts of it.

I shouldn't have visited at Xmas, it was the tipping point. Mind you it had to happen so probably a good thing.

hey nigel, booboo,..... oracle will be out for this..... with no kids....!!!

we have mother inlaw on friday night and my mum on sat night ...so first weekend off for the both of us together in 4 years.>!!!!

who's bringing the RUM...!! good to have a catch up.

Eight Ross 930's at the start last Richmond Wednesday Night. Here they are:

Mean Streak, Pepe, Local Hero, Ballistic , Arch Rival, Hotdogger, Fast Company, No Worries

A mix of modified, partly modified and standard boats.

Richmond are running a separate division for the 930's. Would be great to see some more join in.

a.f.u.

The Entertainer crew was all fizzing to get out there for the 3 handed but dirty old work got in the way :x . We'll definitely be there for the next round; we may even have the L plates off by then :thumbup:

Cheers

Eight 930's off the line last Wednesday 23 Nov for the Richmond Wednesday evening series.

Here they are:- Local Hero, Drop Dead Fred, Ballistic, Pepe, The Entertainer, Fast Company, Mean Streak, Hotdogger.

A good fresh breeze and a couple of incidents added interest to the evening.

a.f.u

The Entertainer crew was all fizzing to get out there for the 3 handed but dirty old work got in the way :x . We'll definitely be there for the next round; we may even have the L plates off by then :thumbup:

Cheers

Such a shame we can't do it!!

OK on the R930 subject, we rece two 930's down here in Nelson.

My Boat Redline a semi modified R930, class keel, self tacker rail still onboard, but have overlapping sails and carry masthead gear & a prod. Wild Oats is the other 930 down here.

Anyway my q is looking at Racetrak a couple of other R930's have made their way to the top of the list. Rockweld & Hotdogger. As far as i knew these are still both Class boats, anyone up North know if thats still true or not. If it is it makes you wonder if adding a square top main and a new keel is worth the money, if two class boats are at the top of the tree? Whereas boats like Pepe that have all the Bells & whistles seem to be a long way down the order?

I Got pretty close to taking off the keel couple of months back, but @ nearly 10k for the u/grade I wasnt sure it would prove to be worth it.

Rockweld is a full class boat, Hotdogger is also but she's stripped clean bare, mind you Rockweld isn't overloaded with gear either..... an understatement warning there.

Both never leave the Akl Harbour these days so the racing is only inner harbour stuff so it's tricky comparing them with a few of the others who do a wide range of tracks and one in particular that only uses Akl harbour as a path to get the feck out of the yellow buoy infested ditch from her home in Bayswater Marina. The last time she raced in the harbour was a His N Her's race last year some time and the Nats ..... err some while back.

If Mark the RT Data Lord is watching, as he probably is so doesn't miss a chance at having a go at me (he's in the pay of those 88 things I'm sure :) ) I'm sure he can give you a better idea of how they would probably all stack up.

At the last Nats, Hotdogger wasn't there but between the Class boats that were, there was only a coat of paint in it they are that close in speed, basically the one who made the slowest tack in a race lost. Some of those also beat a couple of the Turbos in some race :shock: The turbos do seem to struggle a bit in the short course format as they are dragging a lot more through the water and air so look to take that fraction longer to get up to speed. Give them room to stretch their legs and generally they are gone burger on the Class boats.

Agree with the Turboing comment. I'm knot going that way as I'm knot sailing mine at her full speed yet so why make her go yet faster, that makes no sense to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a Turboed bar the keel one will go like in comparison though. That's effectively what I'm doing to mine at the moment. All the turbo gear but no keel change. She is being twin moded so can go either in full Class mode or non-class using masthead gear, prods and all that fun stuff. Estimated 15mins to swap between the 2 modes as it will mean a full sail swap out to do so.

so basically the class 930's are still dishing it out to the modified boats, atleast in short course harbour racing. I'd guess these class boats are atleast using overlapping headsails for fleet racing as I cant see a tiny self tacker outgunning someone with 150% Mylar jib in the light?

PS got any pics of the mods u have done to Reptile?

No overlappers while play at Pedigree racing, only those monster 78% self-tackers. A couple have the massive 106% ones though.

The reports off the boats who have those is all good and a knot and smidgen extra to windward comfortably. It just so happens I do have one of those and have pulled it up, looks very sexy, but haven't sailed with it yet. It is as big as we can squeeze in there and does rely on wind to push it off the spreaders or it'll be yucky. It doesn't sheet outside the shrouds and comes in just over the check stay so that 106% is absolute max that can be fitted and still get some pointing action happening. The big issue we have is the colour of it will clash with the new main so a bit lost what to do there :lol:

Twill start a 930 'super tweak' thread shortly as I've been asked a lot. Basically everything bar the keel, 98% of the hull exterior and 50% of the cabin top will end up changed, replaced or tweaked to varying degrees, some very heavily.

Some is a must do due to age, some a be good to do now as it's only a matter of time, some is specific to a plan I'd like to implement assuming YNZ don't squish it purely on a bollix technicality and some just cause I can.

Archived