What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

we have noticed she's a lot lot quicker if you can keep her dead upright. Twitchy bastard things :)

Even though we are from completely different ends of the sailing spectrum, that is something I can completely agree upon

:lol: I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Doesn't look that dissimilar drbob. Remember you have the bulb on in your shot where mine doesn't. Crap, does the lead come up that far :? It's no wonder the AF bulb looks so bloody big then, it seemed HUGE..... or maybe I'm just used to looking at my micro version. I thought the mold was off a 40fter and they were going to cut it down, wrong. The word is that keel is the same weight as a Class one just a nicer shape and around 5-600mm deeper.

An interesting thread I must say. Now does anyone know when the 930's decided to fit that small bulb to the std class keels?

Knot that far apart Mr Wolf, certianly knot as far as I've been know to portray ;)

Hmmm...... that's very interesting then Rocket. We'll still to hit the elusive 20kts but have seen late 16 a few times and 17.2 once. Have only had a few chances to give it a good nudge so still biding our time for the next shot at it.

still to hit the elusive 20kts but have seen late 16 a few times and 17.2 once. Have only had a few chances to give it a good nudge so still biding our time for the next shot at it.

Maxed at 19.4 so I'm chasing that 20 too.

Oh hell no Booboo, I've love a keel that looked like Jaggeds one above. That is closer to the turbos shape than mine. We basically have a old school triangle with a small bulb (150kg odd I'm told) screwed on the bottom.

Here's the only shot I can find. That is before she even got wet way way back on the day, late 1983 I'd say. Since then they fitted the small bulbs back in ??????

What's more that photo flatters the keel somewhat. See it on the dock and it's all ugly. What's more after another 930 recently tried to shift Motohie, but lost, I've seen the photos of where the lead is. It comes about 1/2 way up the keel, which is another ugly bit.

That's a damn interesting post Rocket. I noticed the small bulb added did stiffen them a bit from original, which isn't a bad thing for sure. When you talk losing top end was that with a turbo keel and bulb or just when they added the small one to the original design, which I believe all boats did at the time.

We've had the odd play next to a turbo and seem to think loading the rail with meat does negate a lot of the gains from turboing. One thing is for sure, a loaded rail 930 is way way faster than say minimum crew. The difference does seem to be more noticeable than it does on many other boats. But that could be partially due to the shorter class keels, we have noticed she's a lot lot quicker if you can keep her dead upright. Twitchy bastard things :)

I always wondered what the reptile looked like before she shed her skin.....

That's her just before she went splash. Look close and you can still........ or are beginning to see a lot more of that green :) She was red all over at one stage as well by the looks.

post-1526-141887162241.jpg

Is your Ross keel the same as the one Animal Farm has fitted do you know 1066?

The AF one, so I'm told, is the same weight as the Class one but a smallish foil with all the weight in a large looking bulb, 2.2mts to the top of the bulb. Quite a bit different than my primordial short triangle.

I will dig out some photos of the new keel. The bulb keel weight is about 740kgs, whereas the class keel is about 900kg. Its a little deeper and 2.2m sounds about right from memory.Sorry, don't recall the name of the 930 that also had this keel, I'll see if I can dig it up.

post-1526-141887162246.jpg

No probably just needs a clean...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That one of the Shocksters is fair nicer than mine. Just looking at these photos and thinking 'Crap, aren't I dragging around a large amount of wetted surface compared to many'. I'd guess the top of my keel is close to a meter for-n-aft, nudging 100mm thick, maybe a smidgen more. That's even before we get into weight and positioning of.

I think Clive Scarlett Fever said the new bulbs are in the late 800kg area.

We have swapped class keel for 200kg less Thompson keel and bulb 2.3deep 135% more stable,difficult to see any of the modified keels have an advantage overall, in fact class keel sometimes seems quicker. The boats have to be sailed level or you loss 1 to 2 knots,thes are tricky boats to sail well supersensitive to sail area and one inch adjustments of the sheets.

To change the keel without changing the rudder seems a no brainer except for the 6K. The two who have changed rudders seem to benefit. I would add my photos if I knew how.

Oh don't start me on rudders :)

Mine is a glass and rubber laminate so when it loads up you can see it curving rather nicely. Luckily it doesn't load up often.

You think putting that 200kg back on the bulb would be a good idea DDF? Just chatting the the bunch swapping keels now and they are very firm in the mindset that the full weight is needed hence their use of the large bulbs.

Not at the moment, when the boat sails quickest its upright,need crew on the rail to achieve this, our thoughts are that in this case the bulb is not working so why add the weight??? Could be wrong??

KM - your rudder needs doing anyway - those cracks I spotted from the dingy at North Cove, Ponui.....

Get into it man! Keel and rudder job!

EE

Thanks for reminding me EE. The rudder is on the to do list.

You seem to think the same as me DDF, which is why I'm wondering why the others are looking as such big bulbs. Mind you, both you and I are 930 newbies where Clive Scarlett has had his beast for, I think, 2 decades. And Murray did tell AF to do what they've done. Maybe you and I are wrong????

Guest Dry Reach

Whats happened to all the Ross 930's...

easy... 6 or 7 of them are for sale on trademe!

Most don't race!

and the rest are in different Modes!

All 4 Class boats by the looks. Red Line looks well sorted.

Still knot sure if 930's suit a full wood interior.

I wonder what the step in the lounge floor on Stunned Mullet is.

And now there's a bit of galley envy kicking in along with everything else :)

And someone else looking to go 1020 to a 930. The 930's do have a owner who did just that knot long ago.

Most boats in most classes don't race DR.

This looks like my keel.

post-646-14188716236.jpg

Archived