What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

Guest Dry Reach

Most boats in most classes don't race DR.

This looks like my keel.

Yip. 930 have good patronage considering the classes with more numbers and less activity...

FF, FInn...

and as for that step? well look at the dodgy chainplate internal frame/wire arrangement. looks like the bulkhead could not handle the load?

add them

That a polite way of saying you could only find 4 as well? ;)

Ya wanna suss my chain plates bulkhead hanger oner things DR, the word 'swiss cheese' springs to mind :)

Guest Dry Reach
add them

:thumbup:

Sorry my bad. added a few 830's in there.

Guest Dry Reach
add them

Ya wanna suss my chain plates bulkhead hanger oner things DR, the word 'swiss cheese' springs to mind :)

As in cheese cutter (aka those Elliot booms of the ninties? :crazy: )

Do they all have that? i think the ones on trademe are a solid bulkhead arrangement.

I know that some of the benateaus or one of those euro "mass production" boats has a similar arrangement and are a bit uncomfortable to bump into while under the influence while bashing to windward!

No, as in full of holes where many experiments with chain plate positioning appear to have taken place over the years. Either that or we have a case of a sick arse glass munching bora and it's a big bastard one :)

It looks from my sussing there is a variation of where and just how many bulkheads the boats have. Some have only 1, some just a ring frame and some 2, we have 2. All are pretty much the same place though give or take a few inches. We also have a couple of extra frames (foam/glass) in front of the mast base where I'm told some don't. Some boats have kevlar in spots but most don't, mine does but purely due to the place of employment of the builders during construction ;)

Some boats have galley froward, most aft.

Some boats have double grunters down aft with a single on the other side but it appears most just have twin but big singles. All appears to have doubles at the pointy end. Rockwelds is cool with a ring frame up the front so the grunta is way large. Good for playing adult games with the missus and does make the boat very open downstairs.

No Worries is damn nice inside. Ian spent a lot of time cleaning her out and doing a very modern minimal type interior. It's all there but in a 2010's style rather than a 1980's style. Mines very much 1980's combined with 2 very pissed young fella builders just wanting to go sailing style i.e. basic, dated and a tad rough. This will change to either more modern multi-purpose or modern 95% race interior depending on how we go with the other boat. Mine may end up as a sailing dingy, all be it a large one so a more stripped interior is probably the go if she does as she'll be more boys boat than a family boat.

I've been sanding and painting all week so been pondering the question 'If I had 60K and the choice of a 930 or 88 or a SR, which would it be?'. The SR loses on space but that's only as mum and the kids like sailing and the kids are getting big, otherwise it's a contender. Between the other 2, they both have pro and cons yet are almost the same. To be honest I still don't have an answer and I don't think I will unless put on the spot with cash in hand. But I'm enjoying my little beast so I think I'll never know for sure.

Actually a decent 830??? Bump and Grind, while a Ross/BBW combo is nicely done and proving to be pretty quick and what's worse it's getting faster as Bruce gets his excrement together. They were cruising at Xmas/Easter with mum, 2 kids and a puppy. They fitting in well and were having fun, which is what it's all about.

Guest Dry Reach
No, as in full of holes where many experiments with chain plate positioning appear to have taken place over the years. Either that or we have a case of a sick arse glass munching bora and it's a big bastard one :)

It looks from my sussing there is a variation of where and just how many bulkheads the boats have. Some have only 1, some just a ring frame and some 2, we have 2. All are pretty much the same place though give or take a few inches. We also have a couple of extra frames (foam/glass) in front of the mast base where I'm told some don't. Some boats have kevlar in spots but most don't, mine does but purely due to the place of employment of the builders during construction ;)

Some boats have galley froward, most aft.

Some boats have double grunters down aft with a single on the other side but it appears most just have twin but big singles. All appears to have doubles at the pointy end. Rockwelds is cool with a ring frame up the front so the grunta is way large. Good for playing adult games with the missus and does make the boat very open downstairs.

No Worries is damn nice inside. Ian spent a lot of time cleaning her out and doing a very modern minimal type interior. It's all there but in a 2010's style rather than a 1980's style. Mines very much 1980's combined with 2 very pissed young fella builders just wanting to go sailing style i.e. basic, dated and a tad rough. This will change to either more modern multi-purpose or modern 95% race interior depending on how we go with the other boat. Mine may end up as a sailing dingy, all be it a large one so a more stripped interior is probably the go if she does as she'll be more boys boat than a family boat.

I've been sanding and painting all week so been pondering the question 'If I had 60K and the choice of a 930 or 88 or a SR, which would it be?'. The SR loses on space but that's only as mum and the kids like sailing and the kids are getting big, otherwise it's a contender. Between the other 2, they both have pro and cons yet are almost the same. To be honest I still don't have an answer and I don't think I will unless put on the spot with cash in hand. But I'm enjoying my little beast so I think I'll never know for sure.

Actually a decent 830??? Bump and Grind, while a Ross/BBW combo is nicely done and proving to be pretty quick and what's worse it's getting faster as Bruce gets his excrement together. They were cruising at Xmas/Easter with mum, 2 kids and a puppy. They fitting in well and were having fun, which is what it's all about.

I would take a Ross930 over any other similar boats any time. I've sailed on many and owned one too!

They are still a sexy beast and quick to boot.

Just a pity there are some many variations and the class is not all one design! One design keeps evereyone on an even snooker table and keeps cost down and is a true measure of sailors versus $$$.

It seems, from what you are saying, all have differing engineering / build detail for the chainplate area and they all seem to work. So maybe the cheese cutter interior detailing is a cunning plan? :wtf:

From memory, The rigs where originaly all in line spreader jobs were they not?

From memory, The rigs where originaly all in line spreader jobs were they not?

From memory all the original rigs lasted about 15minutes :) :)

Can't remember, too pissed for that decade.

Guest Rocket

I seem to remember the fleet's rigs got pretty much wiped out in one regatta (in one race?) must have been early 80s? Its a blur for me as well...

Guest Dry Reach
I seem to remember the fleet's rigs got pretty much wiped out in one regatta (in one race?) must have been early 80s? Its a blur for me as well...

pity the WWW and google were not around then :( we / you oldies could look it up.

Als my above comment about sailing and owning Ross boats was not inferring 930's but Ross boats in general.

Shockproof is up at Gulf Harbour now. Got the long moveable prod out front etc. A mate recently traded down on Rebel Rouser. Reckons it needs a fair amount of TLC. I haven't seen it up close.

hay i race on the r930m wild oats my skipper emailed me this pic to put up on here but I'm not sure on the details its a bit longer and heavier but not sure how much(will up date when know) seems to do the trick and better than sum or should that be most

post-10410-141887162799.jpg

Yeap, she's tweaked vessel but done very nicely. Had a great looking rig and sails when she headed south, probably still has. I hear you lads are having fun down there sailing in the snow :) :)

Measured my WLL in the weekend 8.5-8.6mt looks to be the right number.

Haha the mighty Wild Goats. Day used to own it when it was up in Auckland. Was a much loved boat that had alot of kit strapped to it. With some glamour sails... Good to see the boat is getting a good bit of love down south.

Not sure about a glamour mast though KM? Must be one of the last Baverstock round tube masts still standing. Although alloy is very forgiving and i cant see that mast falling down for a while. It just bends :-P

'Rig' Marshy, it was a nice looking package, certianly worked too well for our liking :)

The sails must have flattered the stick :lol: :lol:

i cant see that mast falling down for a while. It just bends :-P

We said that for years about Trainsmashs mast and it was true until Woody came along :oops:

Well, the serious discussion seems to have run its course so perhaps there is room for a bit of Friday malarky. No suggestion of any prizes - in fact I don't even know who would be qualified to judge it: :shifty:

Ross_930_keel_contest.jpg

A - Primordial triangle with pimple for 1,2 and 4. Mid session Turbo for no. 3 and early Turbo for no. 5

B - Approx 1/2 of the boats nation wide still have class keels but most racing don't or won't have very shortly.

C - Only 'Primordials' currently comply to Class rules.

Bonus Questions

1 - No pathway will work. If one would they would be Land Yachts. ( a Friday answer)

2 - The new turbo keels are different. Probably closest to No. 3 above. Bit straighter with a bigger bulb is what I understand.

Anyone got a 88 keel photo, a Class knot a bulbed version. I think they are in the Primordial area also, just be interested to see one next to a 930.

I think once the next bunch finish their appendage jobs there will be 2 fleets of boats, one being Class and one being Ross keel turboed plus a few others. Most of the turboed do seem to have keels that are basically very similar measurements or at least draft wise. The Class should sit down and work out a way the 2 can play with each other if they like and tweak the rules to suit. I have suggested we have a R930 and a R930T to differentiate the differences, mainly to handicappers as there has been confusion. But I don't know what the others think about it, I have a feeling some just don't care and are off on their own thing but I could be wrong.

My mast can resemble a bit of over cooked spaghetti at wild times. But it's well stayed and the heavy fully battened main helps hold it up.

Archived