Cook Strait Ferries and Boat rego

wheels

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9765433/Boaties-dice-with-death-under-bows-of-ferries

So the gist of the article is that there are small boat skippers zipping across the bows of the Ferries and causing near misses. The article say's that a there is a call for Boat rego, I assume from the Ferry Cpts. MSA says no plans for Rego.

I found this incident quite interesting.

September 10, 2011: The Santa Regina sounded a warning as a pilot boat looked to cross its path unsafely in Wellington Harbour.

September 10, 2011: The Santa Regina sounded a warning as a pilot boat looked to cross its path unsafely in Wellington Harbour.

Ooops!

I think one major issue is that these big Vessels don't look like they are moving very fast. But they cover the ground really quickly and catch small boaties in completely surprise. They travel at 18 to 23kts, which for a by comparison, much smaller Gin palace traveling at that speed, you would think twice about driving in front of.

I have never found the Ferries a problem. I know of a couple that are terrified of the things as soon as they appear. I just stay out of the very obvious path and have never had a problem.

Under maritime rules, pleasure craft and small vessels must give way to those of more than 500 gross tonnes.

Beyond harbour limits governed by bylaws, is this really the case?

I'd have thought colregs apply in Cook Strait, which is where we also meet the ferries. Assuming I'm not mistaken, it seems like sloppy journalism or sloppy and dangerous generalisation from marine authorities.

Grant, are you there?

meant to paste the reg:

18. Responsibilities between vessels

Except in narrow channels, traffic separation schemes, and when overtaking (i.e., rules 9, 10, and 13)

A power-driven vessel must give way to:

a vessel not under command;

a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre (this may include vessels towing one another[12]);

a vessel engaged in fishing;

a sailing vessel.

A sailing vessel must give way to:

a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre;

a vessel engaged in fishing.

A vessel engaged in fishing when underway shall, so far as possible, keep out of the way of:

a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre.

Any vessel other than a vessel not under command or a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre shall, if possible, not impede the safe passage of a vessel constrained by her draft, exhibiting the signals in Rule 28.

A vessel constrained by her draft shall navigate with particular caution having full regard to her special condition.[6]

Under maritime rules, pleasure craft and small vessels must give way to those of more than 500 gross tonnes.

Beyond harbour limits governed by bylaws, is this really the case?

I'd have thought colregs apply in Cook Strait, which is where we also meet the ferries. Assuming I'm not mistaken, it seems like sloppy journalism or sloppy and dangerous generalisation from marine authorities.

Grant, are you there?

you rang?

Quite correct, sloppy story writing.

The 500ton rule applies within harbour limits outside that it is collision prevention rule where sail has the rights (unless you are overtaking the poor old ship)

In wellington the harbour is an arc about 3ish nm from outer rock of Barrett reef (limit is on chart) on the Picton side i think it is about a mile from Tory (not 100% on that but should also be on chart)

Archived