2014 PIC Coastal Classic - Message from NZMYC

Inspector said no to spare lights (which I thought a bit harsh). Other inspectors (who have said they would have been happy with that solution) wouldn't over ride a decision by one of their colleagues. Now aware of the problem he'll probably get it corrected, but it is not a minor job (cabling runs, holes in the deck, remove and replace pushpit and pulpit, need brackets welded to same) and may well not be possible in the time frame now available.

Times have changed, our first coastal on Sundreamer in 99, we had no electronics of any kind including lights.

I'd try them on condition of having correct lights in 3 months. Surely there has to be an opportunity to comply

Do you have to have an engine for cat 3? I can't remember. If not, disable the engine - then no need for lights for motoring!

That is a kind of pedantic decision for a yacht race, esp only cat 3. Most inspectors are more reasonable....

Its sh*t like this that puts people off racing.

I fully agree all the boats should be safe, an have appropriate gear, but given its a yacht race, once your motor is on, you are no longer racing, so why are the steaming lights relevant for racing?

Agreed it shouldn't have made it fail Cat3 but I would be worried that if there was a collision at night whilst under motor the boat with the wrong lights could possibly be blamed and it may be an out for the insurance company.

Annoying but in the end its not that hard to just put some lights on the pulpit and carry on with your life.

Having been standing on the finish boat over the recent SSANZ series I can tell you all there are a lot of boats out there with very dodgy Nav lights. We could still see reds or greens 30 degrees off to the side... the wrong side. Many lights were that faint we could only see them when the boat was a few meters away. On some we could clearly see a Red or Green plus the stern light at the same time, the odd boat we could see all 3 at the same time. The age of the boat had little input nor the size. One of the best was a white Pied Piper, we could see that in the Tamaki River, up close it was damn near painful the lights were so bright. A larger newish boat had lights limper than a bit of dunny paper after 3 weeks in the bowl.

I think you'd be far safer to work on a simple 'That is a light and its getting closer to me, someone needs to give way' than 'That's a XX coloured light so they have to give way or visa versa'.

I just updated lights on my "previously compliant" boat. Had to de-rig the boat to take the pulpit off to weld tabs and route wiring. Seemed crazy at first, but realize that there will be a lot of us still out there after dark that night, and no moon so it will be quite dark so think the inspectors are right on this one.....

One does wonder how a major European manufacturer can send out boats that comply (one assumes) with CE regulations, but doesn't meet basic International Collision at Sea Regulations. I would be suggesting all of the owners should be taking their boats back to the dealer for them to sort out. It's like selling a car in NZ that doesn't have turn signal lights!

Can you imagine crossing the English Channel in one of these boats without the proper navigation lights?

Here's a quick question. Someone I know has just been refused a Cat 3 cert (after initially having it granted) because he only has a masthead tricolour and a steaming light. i.e. under power can't show a white above red and green.

This is a near new boat from a major European builder, of which there will be many others in the race

Does anyone else have the same problem? How is it resolved - particularly at this late stage?

Someone I know has just been refused a Cat 3 cert because he only has a masthead tricolour and a steaming light. i.e. under power can't show a white above red and green.

If less than 12m length, power boats are allowed a single white light instead of masthead plus sternlight. There are no height restrictions, so masthead tricolour plus steaming seems to be compliant if L

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Rules/Rul ... e-rule.pdf

see 22.23

Mike

Mike, that rule says all round white PLUS sidelights. The Sidelights were the issue - you MUST display white over Green and Red. A vessel with only a tri-color at the masthead cannot do that, even if fitted with a steaming light - it would be below the red/green.

Page 21 2.4. The all-round white light must be at least 1m higher that sidelights for vessels less than 12m.

Appendix 1 Positioning and technical details of lights and shapes

2. Vertical positioning and spacing of lights

(4) A power driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may carry the uppermost light at a

height of less than 2.5 metres above the gunwale. However when a masthead light is

carried in addition to sidelights and a sternlight or the all round light prescribed in rule

22.23(3)(a) is carried in addition to sidelights, then such a masthead light or all-round light

must be carried at least 1 metre higher than the sidelights.

Archived