Jump to content


Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Reputation Activity

  1. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to ex Elly in Coastal 2020   
    On a normal year most boats would have been in well before 3pm.
    This year 16 finished before 1500, and 21 finished after that.  If the finish boat could have stayed there for another hour or two, then most of those boats would have got proper finish times.
  2. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to KM... in Main halyard   
    A wire 'sprag'
    12mm now would suggest 10mm fancy cord would be the replacement. If you want to lighten even more strip the cover.
    The 2 key things when swapping are -
    1 - check what your jammers can handle as CP noted above. CP's gone a little extreme with his heavily laminated jamming zone but we often add a extra layer to beef that area up to match size or in many cases minimise rope damage, some jammers are very brutal on ropes, some aren't.
    2 - Check the sheeve at the top for sharp things, we call it the red test. Get up there then stick your finger in and rub it all over the sheeve and anything the rope may touch, if it comes out dripping red then there is something sharp that may do the same to the rope as it's done to your finger. Obviously that's not good so make whatever it is go away.
    Otherwise go for it.
    If stripping DO NOT use Vectran even if you coat it heavily.
    Dyneema is the go or for most Spectra is the better option, 90% of Dyneemas goodness but at a lot less cost.
    Watch out for Chineemas, some are OK but some are simply sh*t.
  3. Like
    CarpeDiem reacted to Island Time in Solo Tasman 2010 log   
    I was going through some old logs for my Daughter, who asked about something, and I came across this log of the 2010 Solo Tasman. I thought some here might be interested, but sorry I'm not the writer that our friend who just completed the South Island circumnavigation is!
    The Voyages of SV Island Time
    We begin the record of Island Times voyage at Mana Cruising Club, just north of Wellington, New Zealand late in January 2010. 
    New Zealand has very strict safety regulations for offshore yachts, and before you can leave you have to have the boat up to a large standard, and have it inspected by an official from Yachting NZ. Most of this document is written at or near the time it occurred, from my (very) basic log.
    It begins as I am preparing Island Time for the Solo Tasman race. Part of the entry requirements for this is a 500Nm passage solo.
    26 Jan 2010;
    Today, the local Cat one inspector came and began the stringent checks required for a NZ registered yacht before it is allowed to leave the country. All is well so far, as I expected. As Island Time has had Cat One before, much of the structural stuff has been checked several times already, so major changes are not required, which is good. All I had to do so far was to replace the mast step screws with 10mm coach screws, and put spectra straps on the engine mounts (so they cannot fall off if inverted and the vulcanised rubber breaks). I've done that.
    The antifoul needs another coat or two, and there is a bit of sanding to do. I also have an oil leak in the back of the engine, between the flywheel casing and the block. The engine has to come out to fix this gasket!! I'll start that tomorrow.
    28 Jan 2010;
    Engine out, the oil leak was a missing "O" ring between the front flywheel housing and the block. This was confirmed by Phil, from Strait Marine www.straitmarine.co.nz. The "o" ring was left out by Ovlov Maine in Auckland, when they reconditioned the motor last year. I have put the "O" ring in, and now reinstalled the engine.
    30 Jan 2010;
    Hull is sanded, re antifouled, with Vivid White.

    12 Feb 2010;
    Got the Trysail track, and fitted to mast. Seems to work fine. Test rigged both the trysail and the storm jib, both fine. Test rigged the sea anchor, with bridle and float for the snatch block. Hope I don't need any of this stuff!!
    20 Feb 2010;
    Got back today from the 500 mile solo voyage, having left on Tues 16th. I just went out to a point 250NM from Mana, about 130 Miles from New Plymouth. The trip out was good, but a bit light, however the last 12 miles were a bit unpleasant, as I had 25Knts on the nose and quite steep seas. Off Stephens Island a car carrier (Morning Mermaid) came up close behind, then turned toward Nelson. Man that is one ugly ship. Then, off cape farewell, in the middle of the night, I was passed by a huge cruise ship, the Queen Victoria. I'd been asleep and the AIS and Radar alarms triggered (They work great!), I had her on both radar and AIS, and she altered course when about 4 miles away so she'd miss me . She looked like a floating city from my perspective!
    About 2:10 am Thursday morning I reached the outer waypoint. It was good to turn around and go downwind - downwind was much more pleasant! However, just before the turnaround, I lost the radar system. That's a problem as the radar (and AIS) keep a watch when I'm asleep! They had proven their worth the previous night, and it means only 20mins sleep at a time until fixed.
    Conditions continued to deteriorate over the next 24 hours, but to begin with it was a good downhill ride, beginning with the kite, then, as the wind strengthened, a fast 2 sail broad reach. The sea state was quite big, as there was an approaching depression further out in the Tasman. The surfing was fun.
    By lunchtime on Thursday morning I had only the deep reefed main and a near storm jib size piece of headsail, and was still managing spurts of 11 or 12 knots. The wind was North to begin with but then went NW (right behind me), about 35 and gusty which is rolly. A few hours later it quickly went around until it was 25 Knots on the nose ( SE) again, but in worse seas.
    The Maritime NZ forecast described it as very rough, and the forecast was for gales in both the Stephens and Cook areas (where I was and where I was going!) I put up with this for few more hours, then, as I could no longer make my course, I bore away into Tasman bay. I hoped to find better conditions there, which I did, eventually, with flatter seas and wind down to about 20-25 knots.
    Then the wind rose again to 30 Knots SE - just the way I wanted to go! Fortunately though, as I got into Tasman Bay further, the wind came around more towards the east, and I managed to follow it around until I made the entrance to French Pass. About 10am on Friday the 19th I motor sailed thru French pass, then sailed again, hard on the wind AGAIN, along the top of the South Island, concluding the 500 Miles just short of Cape Jackson. Being rather tired, I decided to go into Queen Charlotte Sound, and spend the night at Ships Cove. A very nice and peaceful night on the club mooring, and them home today in a Northerly which is much easier than anything from the east!
    Here is a screenshot of the 500 mile qualifier

    21/02/2010; back at Mana
    Today I removed the radar, and found that the scanner unit was not turning. Seems to be a fault in the actuator motor. The head unit is a Kodan, and there is a Kodan agent here in Porirua, so I'll take in the unit tomorrow and see if we can get that sorted.
    The issue I had with the engine not charging I have traced to the loom connector to the engine. Tomorrow I'll remove it and order a new plug and socket, that should sort it out.
    Today I sorted the Radar. The Kodan agent was not much help, so I stripped the unit myself. The problem was a bearing in the small stepper motor. I replaced both the bearings, and with Jo's help reinstalled the radar. All working 100% again! $20 repair, so that was good. I've also isolated the electrical problem to the relay socket on the engine loom. One of the connectors on it had been pressed out the back (out of site of course!). I have removed the whole connector frame from the motor so I can see it, and bent the spade terminal retainer back into place, then re-clipped it in. It is a bit dirty, so tomorrows job is to clean it all up and reassemble it. Hopefully that will fix it once and for all. Following that, I'll get on to the SSB/Autopilot interference problem that stops me transmitting on SSB when under autopilot. I have to have this fixed for the Solo Tasman...
    Got the plugs sorted, engine now working fine, and I'm happy with the connections now. The SSB interference with the autopilot has turned out to be a bit of a major. I've had a radio tech look at it as well as me, and he's spent most of a day on it as well. The problem is the Rudder Angle indicator moves when the SSB transmits, despite the fact that the rudder is NOT moving.
    Here is what has been done so far.
    Connect shielded dummy load direct to transmitter output. Rudder indicator output is stable, so issue is not within the SSB transceiver.
    Connect shielded dummy load to ATU antenna output. Rudder indicator output is stable, so issue is not within the SSB transceiver or the ATU, or the coax between. Problem source is the Antenna or connections.
    Replace Antenna from ATU out with Shielded coax (shield connected to Counterpoise and batt -), then connected that to Glass Whip Antenna. Problem is present with either Antenna. Problem must be RF feeding back into Autopilot from the antenna.
    Tried RF bypass capacitors on Rudder Feedback cable, + to -, + to Shield, and - to Shield. No help
    Tried rerouting rudder feedback cable as far from radios as possible. No change. Removed Rudder Feedback unit (Simrad RF300) and put it in the oven (connected to Batt -, as a makeshift faraday cage) no change.
    Disconnected Rudder Feedback unit completely, set autopilot to virtual feedback mode. Tests fine!! This means the problem IS in the cable to, or the Rudder Feedback unit itself.
    Sent an email to Navico explaining issue. Awaiting response.
    I've also removed the Autopilot ram and had the seals replaced, ram repainted. A new hose was required for the port side connection, and I've had a spare made.
    Ok, I'm getting there with this. Navico have given me the following info;
    Simrad RF300 rudder feedback units were modified in 2004 to pass new RFI requirements. The case and the product codes did not change, but if you have one where the letters between the Part no and Serial no are not FA, and you have an RFI issue, you need to replace it with a new one.
    product code between the p/n and the s/n, i.e. XXXXXXXXFAxxxx.
    This is not in any book or documentation I can find, but this info came direct from the Navico Technical Team leader.
    I have a new one on order..
    The SSB problem is solved! The rudder feedback unit was the problem, and following the install of the new one, all is well.
    The rigger has been, and checked over the rig, the boat builder has been and we have reinforced the primary winch bases. I've wired up the VHF for DSC with GPS, replaced the on board printer with a small HP unit (DeskJet 3325), updated the PC with current Anti Virus, patches and versions of everything. Currently have an issue with drivers for the Quatech DSU 200/300 RS422 to USB converter. I may have to roll that driver back tomorrow. I have also changed the blades on the Air-X Marine wind generator with some from www.silentwindgenerator.com . They are blue, and significantly quieter than the original blades.
    The Cat one is finished, and the boat is nearly ready, just food and clothes to go. No real issues with the rest of the inspection except the inspector was not really happy with the primary chain plates. He thinks the bottom bolts are too small, and that the load is taken primarily by the lower bolt. I don't agree with that, but he passed the boat on this point due to historical use. The race numbers (8) are on, the new jennaker is here, the electronics are all working. Sounds ready to me. Weather here in Wellington has been crap lately, 50 Knot NW yesterday, 30 gusting 45 in the strait today, forecast for more again tomorrow. I'm planning on leaving for New Plymouth Thursday 25th as I have to be there by the 28th. Weather permitting!
    Left Mana with Neil as crew. Forecast was 10 kn NW, but leaving Mana we had 35KN!It slowly moderated as we crossed to the sounds, and then was pretty much gone as we passed through Stephens passage bound for Port Hardy on Durville Island. Spent a very calm night there on the club mooring in the SW corner, with a few Launches from Mana Cruising Club, including my brother's Southern Cross.
    Left Port Hardy motoring (no wind!) about 9am for New Plymouth. Breeze gradually increased to 15-18 KN just fwd of the beam. A very pleasant sail , finishing in Port Taranaki about 3am. We picked up one of the race moorings. They are very exposed, with no shelter at all from northerly sectors.
    Spent this week doing last minute stuff (nothing critical!). A very rolly anchorage, and not great sleeping aboard, When Jo and family came up to see me off, I went ashore and spent the final two nights at my uncles house with Jo.
    4/4/2010: Race day!
    Did customs ashore as a group. Not much wind. Said goodbye to everyone - perhaps for some time, although it looks like we'll have a week at home in 5 or 6 weeks to sort out moving out of the house and the purchase of a rental. Our current house is under a sales contract. The race start was in the fairly narrow harbour entrance. 5 -8 knots almost on the nose. I decided to stay on the mooring, sails up, ready, for as long as possible. This was partially due to the congestion, but also because my mooring was almost right on the starboard layline! Anyway I got the timing a bit wrong and had to do a 360 to waste some time. It worked out pretty well, and I crossed the line 2nd I think. However, 500m out from the breakwater the wind stopped! The course was along the waterfront, outside a coastguard boat, then around a mark on the main city foreshore. Eventually (several hours later, only about a mile covered) the committee shortened the course by moving the mark to the coastguard boat. It was a very slow start! As we got further out the wind came up a bit, and I went from gennaker to spinnaker. Everyone was looking to go south of the rumbline to find the predicted southerly. Start Pic Below

    Early morning kite problems - I got a really good wrap around the forestay in the sloppy conditions - took an hour and a half to free it and retrieve everything. Trying to make ground west to find the southerly, as are most others.
    The southerly came in last night - gusts up to 45 knts, (some competitors reckon they saw 58 overnight, and some then hove to) but, for me, mostly 35 or 40 and gusty.  Was a bit bumpy for a time, but I made good progress. No issues with sea-sickness either - I'm using a scopaderm patch. Running before it with triple reefed main and small jib rolled out. Good speeds under autopilot - 13.7 Knts!! This turned in to a good day, logging 178Nm, which is good for Island Time.
    Winds have slowly moderated to 20 - 25 Knts. I've had a long debate with myself about putting a kite back up, and every time I decide I should, the wind goes back up over 25knts. Eventually I did put it up and had a hourglass twist in it - I had to take is straight back down! Lots of work singlehanded!
    Wind has dropped right away to 3-4 Knts. I did not have the kite ready from yesterdays problems, but at first light I sorted the kite and hoisted it for a good speed gain. Slowly the wind came further fwd, so I could not hold the kite any more, and I changed to the gennaker. The new gennaker seems great!
    Unfortunately after about an hour the kite halyard broke - inside the mast, jammed in its sheave. I cant fix that at sea unless it's dead flat (unlikely) and it is much easier if there are a couple of people. This could cost me the race!!! No proper downwind sails...
    9th/4/2010 Fortunately today has been a 2 sail reach - to tight for downwind sails. A good day calming off in the evening.
    10/4/2010; Calming off was an understatement!! Today was very calm, slating sails all day. I managed the worst 24 hour run I have ever had with Island Time - 57 miles! It would have taken little to convince me to chuck it in and motor!! There is another southerly forecast for tomorrow, looks like it might be quite strong. Anything is better than this!!
    11/4/2010, pm The southerly is here - came in quite light, supposed to strengthen. I have flown the gennaker from the spare Genoa halyard. it is less than ideal - a shorter hoist, and as the halyard is under the forestay attachment, I have to make sure the sail and halyard do not cross the forestay. Sail set is not great, but better than nothing! it is good to be moving again
    12/4/2010: Rob has sent me the other boat positions, man this is a close race. There is less than 20 miles (distance to finish line) between the top 5 boats. Got to keep pushing. I think that some of the skippers have elected to go too far off track looking for wind, and are finding that the distance covered has not been worth it for the speed gains. I still have a shot at this! 25 kn southerly again, moving to directly astern slowly increasing. By 6 pm, 30-35 knots and large (3-4m) steep seas. Wind against the current (1.5 - 2 Knts)
    Crap!!! Fell off one of the larger waves (When under AP – I was on the toilet!) and gybed out of control. It ripped the kicker fitting from the mast step, snapping a piece of 10mm stainless. This fitting also holds the forward mainsheet block. It also broke the gooseneck. No full mainsail available now. I feel like that's the end of my race... I have lashed it together as best I can, and hope it holds.
    13/4/2010 Fresh winds (30Knts) from directly behind. Against the East Ausy current - steep and sometimes confused seas. I REALLY would not have liked to beat into this wind and sea! Surfing often up to 13 odd knots. Still no one in sight, not sure where they are now, as only one or two have kept the proper radio scheds. Still, they can't be far away.. About 6pm, now close to the end of Morton island, triple reefed main (Still scared of full main with temp repairs), as the wind had moved more toward the west rounding cape Morton. Maybe it will get me to the finish line if I'm careful. Out of the really big seas and most of the current now. Not far to go.
    Crossed the finish line at about 0340hrs this morning, third over the line behind Apriori (Modified Farr 38) and Soothsayer (John Sayer 36). Both these boats are sailed by local Ausy sailors. I'm sure that the local knowledge of the east Ausy current has helped them significantly in the last part of this race. Jenny on Soothsayer had gone in so close to the beach her tracker shows her on shore! (Rob sent me and email with positions from the web - thanks Rob!)
    In Mooloolaba marina cleaning up. Thoughts on the race;
    Island Girl (Farr 1220, v. similar to Island Time) was effectively removed from the race a day or two from the end when she broke an intermediate stay. She was lucky not to lose the rig. All the boats have come in with some type of damage. It is interesting that the two boats in front of me are stripped out racers, so I feel I've done ok. The conditions have been typical Tasman - too much wind or not enough. I should have done more research on the East Ausy Current. Despite the breakages it was really that that cost me the race - I lost 30 miles or more to soothsayer on the last day. I also note that my average speed was slower than most of the others, yet I crossed the line third - so my route planning was better than theirs. It's all a learning curve! I could have pushed harder, but you also have to get to the end. My Autopilot is now excellent, and the electronics (especially the radar, AIS, and wireless remote system) allowed me to get better sleep than most - Although none at all for the last 30 odd hours.
  4. Upvote
    CarpeDiem got a reaction from harrytom in This is why I am thankful we have the Queen s Chain   
    This conversation came up on the recent Gold Cup race, we we're going past the wharf which the ferry uses at the SE end of Waiheke, Orapiu Bay iirc.  And one of the crew who lives on Waiheke mentioned that the residence there had blocked all access to the beach, so you could not go for a walk when waiting for your ferry.
    My understanding was that one could only own/control the land down to the high, or medium tide line.  Turns out that owners rights can extend to the low tide mark as well.
  5. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Cameron in Enduro   
    I think SSANZ made a great call in dropping Ponui as a rounding mark.
    Yes it is doable but is it smart?
    SSANZ likes to set challenges and will often race in more breeze than other organisations... but the issue with the passage south of Ponui is there is no ability for skippers to take a safer option ie wide rounding...  and puts the boats into a must do situation with limited searoom if they are to complete the race. 
    Other races like RNZ / RNI you have the option to stay well away from rocks/islands letting the skipper/crew on how much searoom they require or are comfortable with.
    Well done SSANZ 
  6. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Jon in Dinghy fantasy   
  7. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to aardvarkash10 in Seafaring nation?   
    We are not scared of anything.
    Its called management.
    The COVID event is not finished.  No-one can reliably say when that blessed day will arrive.  In that situaiton, we could conceivably have people arrive here and then be unable to leave for an extended period - perhaps up to two years.  Where would they go?  Everywhere is some degree of closed.
    Movie crews arrive with documents stipulating their return to point of origin - its common for many work visas including some of staff I have.  Cruising boats, not so much.
    They are germans.  Germany has a well funded consular network.  They were not in peril, they were inconvenienced at worse.  Had they been in peril, their government would have stepped in.
    The world has changed folks.  The dreamy little gypsy fantasy of moving around the ocean at whim is on hold.  Get used to it.  
  8. Upvote
    CarpeDiem got a reaction from 2flit in Damn the Rules, Rocna Inventor doing the NW Passage   
    Could Kiwi sailors Northwest Passage transit break legal ice between Canada and US
  9. Like
    CarpeDiem got a reaction from Clipper in Fridge Timer   
    I would put that across in the existing circuit and install a 3 position toggle switch circuit to start it, I would add a bypass as the third position so I could run for longer than the timer if I wanted. And I would add a light so I knew the compressor was running.... 
  10. Upvote
    CarpeDiem got a reaction from Sabre in Damn the Rules, Rocna Inventor doing the NW Passage   
    This is kind of comparing apples and oranges. The NW passage is not internationally recognised as Canadian internal waters and is not a land mass. NZ sanctuary islands are not a waterway connecting two regions and are an isolated land mass that provide no access to any other land mass.
    A better analogy might be, would NZers be jumping up and down because a ship wanted to transit the Cook Strait on it's way from South America to Australia without permits/permission.  And even that's not great because the Cook Strait is recognised as NZ terrority. 
    Would the boating community be upset, if Turkey decided, that due to Covid restrictions, the right of innocent passage no longer applied to the Bosporus Strait? (also not a good analogy because it has been officially recognised). 
    To help know "what to say" about Pete Smith and this transit, you have to form an educated opinion about Canada's legal claim to the NW passage and decide if the right to innocent passage does or does not apply to him. 
    Legal Article: The Northwest Passage - What is its status under the international law of the sea?
  11. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Island Time in COVID19 origin   
    ACA, sorry, what a pile of crap. I'll not allow this site to be a propagator of completely unfounded conspiracy theories.I'm considering deleting your post above.....
  12. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Kevin McCready in END of LIFE referendum   
    It's a rubbish anti- website spreading lies. Please remove this post. It has nothing to do with sailing. I am reminded though of an idiot I sailed with once who said when it was time to go he would sail his boat into the blue yonder and shoot holes in the hull. What a waste of a boat I said. I didn't sail with him again.
  13. Downvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to harrytom in END of LIFE referendum   
    Wrong thread I know but when one takes the test,I think its worthy of not being buried.
    (feel free to move/remove)   I got 2/10 scary
  14. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Fogg in Leisurefurl pain   
    I checked. It’s “CRC 808 Silicone”.
  15. Downvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to dutyfree in Level 3 in Auckland   
    well I am heading out Friday, if I get turned back so be it.  I will be in my bubble, fully equipped etc
    The rest of you can debate the websites
  16. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Bradz in Level 3 in Auckland   
    Not at all, was my interpretation.. nothing like mixed messages we are receiving. How many different websites does the government expect us to look at before we decide if we can walk outside?
    Too be fair, this level 3 isn't the same as the last L3. There are far more businesses allowed to operate if they don't interact with the public, this I see as a good thing.
    Take for example, i have ordered oil and filter from my local Repco for pick up tomorrow, however, the local part, isnt much so in even near my suburb...
  17. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Young Entertainer in furlex type b parts   
    yeah that one,  have updated the title
  18. Downvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Tamure in YNZ Thread removal   
  19. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Jon in SSANZ 2020 Lewmar Triple Series   
    Well spotted team
    Great life lesson there, “always read the fine print, never trust the pretty pictures”
    No call been made on finish location yet, but my pick would be Resolution Buoy again ( saving the gathering for our next event on the beach at bottom end on the 10th October)
    Its .9nm shorter past Rangitoto light or 10% shorter so the only reason you wouldn’t go that way is if it was a light easterly with holes in the rangi channel perhaps 
  20. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Deep Purple in SSANZ 2020 Lewmar Triple Series   
    Race report - Deep Purple
    Tough day at the office. North easterly of 25/35 knots, extremely rough and first mark 25 miles to windward was always going to be tough for a 25' 600kg traileryacht in a fleet of 30/50' keelers. The small boat division, most of which are bigger than us were given the short inshore course as conditions were unsafe for them  But if you don't start you are excluded from the series so out we go. Almost half the fleet didn't start or didn't finish but we kept going at times going sideways more than forward. Oh for a #3 jib and second reef. We rounded Gannet Rock a distant second to last but the send home was fun albeit with no chance of catching the leaders. Lots of bursts well over 16 knots, 14 boats passed and a great gennaker run from Haystack to Rangi Light. Anyways we crossed the line 15th and last (22nd) on handicap in our division. 22nd out of 37 finishers on our course so pretty respectable. On the bright side, Deep Purple took it in her stride, needing nothing but a bail out of water to be ready to go again. Crew Rob Shaw was awesome. Thanks SSANZ and team for putting on the series. One short race to go in 4 weeks, a nice 10/15 knot SW please. A small glimpse of us on the start.

  21. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Ian M in YNZ Thread removal   
    An Open Letter to Yachting New Zealand’s Board Members, Club Commodores around NZ and anyone else who enjoys Yachting – Cruising or Racing.
    As a former Club Manager, Commodore, Vice Commodore, Executive Member, Club Handicapper Sponsor and sundry other positions in yachting over the past 40 years I feel well qualified to make comment on the issues surrounding Yachting NZ and its Fees/Levy demands.
    My home club these days is the Waikawa Boating Club in Picton. My Club has been in conflict with Yachting NZ and its fees/levy since 1995 when we first voiced our concerns as to why Yachting NZ expected our Launch owners to be included into any calculations when affiliation fees were calculated. We have always said that we accept that all our Yacht Racing Members should be included in the calculations of Fees/Levy payable to Yachting New Zealand. It is worth noting here that less than 9% of Club Members participate in Yacht Racing events.
    Yachting NZ rush to tell Clubs like mine that they provide an advocacy service on all things marine around New Zealand …. What a total sop! I don’t think advocacy attracts much more of a budget each year than Yachting NZ spends on Audit Fees……..
    Let’s face facts… Yachting NZ is about Yacht Racing or more correctly the upper levels of Dinghy Racing in New Zealand as portrayed in each and every week’s e news. Yachting New Zealand do not provide Clubs with any administration support or guidance on how to run a Club successfully in this day and age. It comes as no surprise that an ever growing number of Clubs are talking to Clubs NZ checking out what they have to offer. Clubs NZ provides assistance to those managing Clubs as well as to elected officials who suddenly find themselves up to their eyeballs in legal responsibilities. Covid 19 proved the differences with Clubs NZ providing helpful assistance on day to day matters and Yachting NZ telling us Dinghy Sailing would resume soon! Well, whoop de do!
    While the Waikawa Boating Club has a reasonably large membership fewer than 100 reside locally (the rest are generally based in Christchurch or Wellington) and my club relies on these people to keep it ticking over and the bills paid. I guess my Club is similar to many others in always looking for different ways to bring the dollars in the front door. Last year the Club was approached by a group of locals who wanted to be able to enjoy the facilities on a casual basis, they have no interest in any on the water activities at all, do not own boats of any description and wouldn’t know a tack or gybe from a hammer or a screwdriver.  After lengthy discussions an agreement was reached and a Social Club was formed. Instead of congratulating the Club on finding a way to increase its income and secure its future Yachting NZ insisted quite bluntly that these people had to be included in the WBC annual return and that their membership fees to their organisation had to be declared. YNZ argued that the social club was part of the WBC and would not hear any arguments that it wasn’t. The Waikawa Boating Club (under duress) paid the fees and then requested that the social club become an absolute entity in its own right, this was attended to over the following months.
    We note with interest that a good number of clubs around New Zealand have welcomed other organisations to share their facilities and social occasions without any hassle from Yachting NZ and have not had the membership of those organisations counted in Levy calculations.
    When it came to Levy Calculations this year Yachting NZ insisted once again that the Social Club membership details had to be provided to them and that they had to be included in the Levy calculations. The Waikawa Boating Club advised Yachting NZ that they could not provide the details as the Social Club was not part of the Waikawa Boating Club nor did they answer to the club for any membership details. Yachting NZ totally refuses to accept that.
    Where does that leave us? Our AGM this year has decided that enough is enough with Yachting NZ, and that should they refuse to accept our assurances as to our membership numbers and that leads to us being struck off the membership register of Yachting NZ then so be it. We are sick and tired of being poorly treated by an organisation that has become less and less relevant to our membership and boaties in general as time goes by. We will be happy to keep our $16k in Yachting NZ Levies in our own pocket (and yes we know how that multiplies when it reaches Yachting NZ).
    If/When Yachting NZ strikes the Waikawa Boating Club from its register then that will mean that a sizeable chunk of central NZ boaties (Mana, Waikawa and Pelorous) do not belong to Yachting NZ and perhaps at that point an organisation might be formed that looks after grass roots cruising clubs in our country because it must be as obvious to you as it is to us that Yachting NZ under its current (and previous) Board(s) do not, and its little wonder votes of no confidence are being mooted.
    In closing I make this comment – Dinghy Clubs and elite sailors around New Zealand are well served by Yachting NZ, the rest of us are not and it’s time for a change.
    Ian Michel – Racing Yachtie
    And Yes I enjoy racing my yacht twice a week!
  22. Like
    CarpeDiem reacted to Clipper in Cabin Top Friction Device   
    We installed a horn cleat beside each cabin top winch, great for putting the halyard on to stop slippage in the jammers and to unload the jammers a lot. We can use that to do as you described too if neccessary.
  23. Like
    CarpeDiem reacted to aardvarkash10 in Cabin Top Friction Device   
  24. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to Island Time in Iridium Go Satellite phone and internet hotspot   
    $1080 from predictwind new. With warranty. 
  25. Upvote
    CarpeDiem reacted to KM... in work platform to the west of Westhaven   
    It's the end of the St Marys Bay interceptor project.
    The interceptor is to try and stop raw poohs pouring into Westhaven, the Viaduct and the harbour when it rains a lot. This currently happens a few times a year, which is a lot less than it did 10 years ago, so a good trend.
    The council was sold on the project as it diverts those poohs from Westhaven etc out 'to be discharged out in the channel'. The dorks were sold as doing what the over flow from Albanys Lake Pee Pooh does, 2 km into the northern end of the Rangi channel.
    But as you can see all the billions spent will do is just make the poohs take a slightly longer trip to where they were going previously.
    We did argue if they tilt the interceptor 4 degrees the other way all the crap could flow into the huge holding under Vic park and them go out to Mangere to be treated. As per usual that was too simple and common sense for the council to even try to comprehend.
    When the lift barge was on the eastern side of the bridge it was ground sampling for the new 1/2 billion dollar bridge for a few people to walkover, the skypath. The one that is being fast tracked as it is shovel ready according to beloved leader. It seems no one has told her all LTSA have is plans to make plans, the second harbour crossing tunnel is more advanced in planning than the skypath. The tunnel is easily also the common sense option in every regard so that pretty much ensures it won't be the one the Government runs with. The skypath has already cost ratepayers many millions....and taxpayers, it is quite amazing how much LTSA has paid mobs around the area to do simple small things around this. Lazza A was going to charge Akl 15 million bucks for the path, now government is involved that 15 million has become 500 million (the 390 mill already announced based on nothing but a guess, plus a lower than average allowance for the inevitable over run costs) and some think the way its trending 1 billion is not as much of a joke as it may first appear.
  • Create New...