velocitek

There are similar facilites now for your phone - see SAIL RACER, for example. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sailracer.net&hl=en

There are others. Good on a waterproof phone, or in a waterproof case. Mast/Bulkhead mounts are available for many phones...

I downloaded one of those and ran some dummy tests in the westhaven carpark (me being the dummy) the gps positioning of the tower moved continuously over several boat lengths so I have some doubts over effectiveness. Never used it in a race.

I downloaded one of those and ran some dummy tests in the westhaven carpark (me being the dummy) the gps positioning of the tower moved continuously over several boat lengths so I have some doubts over effectiveness. Never used it in a race.

It would be interesting to know how the GPS chips compare Phone v Stand alone GPS unit like the Velocitek

With a lot of the compact GPS units you find they can jump about a bit due to various errors. Some of the units I worked with were fantastic when no higher off the water surface than a few metres, but jumped a lot more when higher.

Be aware if you are testing the accuracy of different GPS units to do so at a similar time of day - Sunrise and sunset are the worst times of day for accuracy.

With a lot of the compact GPS units you find they can jump about a bit due to various errors. Some of the units I worked with were fantastic when no higher off the water surface than a few metres, but jumped a lot more when higher.

Be aware if you are testing the accuracy of different GPS units to do so at a similar time of day - Sunrise and sunset are the worst times of day for accuracy.

Interesting.

Re height - yes I think there is a bounce back issue with the water surface.

i have a speedpuck on each hull (velocitek speed/heading GPS)

Each hull gives different speeds if lookig at both at same time.

Figure that out. And last night, top speed was 18.8 on one hull, 18.3 on the other.

Big bearaway and outer hull going faster...???

Any ideas?

Figure that out. And last night, top speed was 18.8 on one hull, 18.3 on the other.

Any ideas?

Height, speed in a forward and lifting (up) direction I would think.

Any ideas?

Height, speed in a forward and lifting (up) direction I would think.

could be, leeward one going down down down, windward one going up and around....

Maybe the calculation interval is different (ie one recalc every 2 seconds and the other one every 5 seconds) or they are recalculating at different times....

Certainly my GPS on the boat all give slightly different output speeds when they are next to one another.

The new Garmin Quatrix watch has the same function as the Velocitek (distance to line, time to burn etc) plus some other nice to haves (tides, remote for autohelm) and you can wear it as a watch.

About $550

The accuracy/refresh rate of the GPS units in cellphones varies a lot. The results of the apps can be quite variable depending on device - but then again, sail racer is free!!

There are similar facilites now for your phone - see SAIL RACER, for example. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sailracer.net&hl=en

There are others. Good on a waterproof phone, or in a waterproof case. Mast/Bulkhead mounts are available for many phones...

While, I could use a mobile device, and IT seems enthusiatic, but I prefer a fit for purpose and dedicated tool like the Velocitek on the boat. Battery life is better, it's waterproof by design, the screen is easier to read, it's less likely to be munted when the crew (surely not) knees it or goes ballistic with a winch handle, and I know it's always going to be on the boat. There's a lot going on in the cockpit and the last thing I need is to worry about a fragile iphone or tablet sliding around on the floor or the deck because the genny sheet flipped it from its cradle.

Archived