Westhaven Happenings

How many will get along to the 3rd., short notice, Westhaven meeting?

Be interesting to know. Not many Westhaven Boat owners will make it, I'm picking.

The removal of dinghy racks? and what will happen in a few weeks. Thoughts please.

Thanks for your note, especially about the temporary judder bars.

Regarding the judder bars:

The judder bars have been installed as a temporary measure to slow down cars and cyclists whilst works are underway to construct a walkway and cycleway along the marina’s edge that will make cycling in this area much safer.

Even prior to the works starting there was an emerging safety issue of walkers and runners being forced onto the road due to the narrow footpath along Westhaven Drive. The judder bars that were there did little to reduce car speeds because they were low and smooth. In some case vehicles have been travelling at up to 80 kph along there.

There have been a number of minor car and cyclist contacts along Westhaven Drive and with the addition of the disruption of the works on the walkway risk of a serious incident was increased.

Attempts have been made to engage the police on this matter but to act quickly, given its priority as a safety issue, the temporary judder bars have been installed. Our team reviewed various options for slowing cars, and the judder bars that have been installed were the smallest temporary options that they could find being 50mm high.

So apologies about the inconvenience, but as you can appreciate we need to cater for the safety of all users along Westhaven Drive and we see this temporary measure as a way of ensuring it should be safer for all concerned. Once the civil works are completed later this year, the judder bars are intended to be removed and by then we’ll at least have a new walkway for the foot traffic in the area.

The dinghy racks:

The dinghy racks are being relocated. Pile mooring tenants will be advised of the new locations for their permanent dinghy storage, but can request a change if necessary. Any dinghies that remain after this time will be corralled at Z pier, and if not claimed within a month they will be disposed of.

The Marina office has been working hard to track down and advise dinghy owners but a small number of boats are unidentified - so if yours is one of them please get in touch asap.

The Westhaven Plan info session on 19 March

All berth holders received an invitation in their email inbox this week for the session, where the Westhaven Plan in its final form will be presented and discussed, on 19 March. The events held in late 2013 were well attended, including by many Crew.org.nz contributors.

To anyone who would like to know about the Westhaven Plan, here is a good summary:

http://www.westhaven.co.nz/getattachmen ... 3_FINAL-(1).pdf.aspx

The full document is online here:

http://www.waterfrontauckland.co.nz/Wat ... nning.aspx

Thanks for the discussion!

The Team at Westhaven Marina

Westhaven Marina are so concerned about cyclists and people on the walkway they have installed ‘judder bars’

So lets’ trust they can find a way to install some ‘floating judder bars’ to slow power boats in the marina to be a ‘no wake zone’

the cyclists and joggers do not pay any marina fees or make any contribution towards the main purpose of the marina.

In my opinion the marina management appear to be on the pathway towards making the marina a user unfriendly place. Why are the marina management putting so much inconvenience on the actual users of the marina, the people who pay the berth rentals and fees?

The cyclists and joggers are nothing but freeloaders on everyone else's dollar. In my view these freeloaders should be discouraged. The current approach appears to be to encourage these people to the detriment of the actual fee paying marina users.

I cannot understand why the marina people do not ask the most important question.. "What can we do to make the marina a better place for the boat owners who pay the fees?". If they then answered this question honestly I am certain that cyclists and joggers would not feature in the result.

a.f.u

What I don't get is that Westhaven Drive on the city end of Sails is now with the new walkway, 1 1/2 m narrower. The new walkway is really for kids on bikes and joggers. So now and even more so when the cycle way over the bridge is built, cars will have to share an even narrower road with the regular cyclists. Well done Auckland.

Another highlight of the weekend was 3 crew's cars being towed on Friday while we went and did the Route 66. Oh, that's about $750.

Where are they supposed to park when going away for the day?

What a pain. You must have missed my post on the Route 66 Topic. If anyone is sailing all day midweek, just go to the marina office and get a temporary permit

Sorry - didn't mean to post the whole bloody thing and now I can't edit it :evil:
In practice, we provide two parking permits per berth, and the Westhaven Marina Office is very accommodating, and if, for example, you are going cruising for a couple of days, or need a temporary permit, we are very happy for you to contact the office to discuss your requirements. That will not change

Where was the warning that the parking was going to change? After sailing there 20plus years - never been towed- I was not made aware (ie very poor or non existent signage) that weekly parking was now three hours from the marina management. When I did find some signage it was 100m from where I parked, 4 meters in the air and about 400mm square. Funny enough there is a pay phone installed a short way from this to call the towie. Piss poor and I have a mind to demand the marina management towing fee back (prob half the towage)

I would expect that if you are going to change the system there would be signage everywhere when you pulled into the carpark

Yeah thats pretty gay.

I do find it funny tho that two people who design and install parking building systems to handle this thing the right way got nailed by it being handled the wrong way! Maybe Westhaven need to speak to you boys!! :lol: :lol:

So to clarify.

If i invite people on the boat during the week, either for a daytrip or longer there is in fact no place they can park. The only way around this is if I (as a berth holder) go to the office and obtain some kind of exemption permit for the duration of the trip.

Is this correct?

If so is it mentioned on the signage, or just on this sailing website? How are people advised of this?

Also, I take it the office is manned 24 hrs for those early morning or evening departures?

Just thinking ahead for my extended Easter cruise.

Hi all, once again thanks for your feedback. We will attempt to respond to each of the areas that you are concerned about:

The temporary narrowing of Westhaven Drive

The middle section of the Promenade is a temporary connection that will enable walkers and runners to safely navigate the waterfront while Stage 2 of the actual Promenade construction is finalised and built. We envisage construction on Stage 2 will begin in 2015. Once it is complete, the temporary footpath will be removed and Westhaven Drive will be restored.

The towing of three cars on the weekend

We are sorry that your cars were towed. However, the marina car parking rules are well advertised via signage both on entry and in the carparks themselves and it’s important that we enforce them to ensure that boaties have access to the parks when they need them. In the days when rules were looser, it became much more difficult to get a carpark at all. Like Wild Oats says, the Marina office are very happy to issue temporary carpark permits when needed for situations like this. If you cannot pick them up during business hours you must prearrange them and we will post them to you. If all else fails there are currently no 180 minute restrictions between the marina office and the old launching ramp.

Opening up of the waterfront for all Aucklanders to enjoy

Your present and future requirements as boaties are very much top of our minds. All holders of licenses have clear rights that are established in your License agreements, and the Council organisation Waterfront Auckland is committed to ensuring that Westhaven Marina is a world class marina for generations to come. This requires ongoing investment and development, and building facilities that will meet the requirements of future generations. At an operational level, Westhaven Marina is managed by people who are sailors and boat owners, and they navigate on your behalf the best possible way around day to day management of the Marina.

There is also a will to open up the waterfront for all Aucklanders to enjoy, and the Westhaven Plan maps both this and on-water developments related to your use as boat owners. The Marina is located adjacent to a busy and growing CBD, and resolving the pressures on space and the logistical issues related to this, for the benefit of all, but in particular boaties, is a challenge that we have taken very seriously and which we will continue to work through in the future. However it is a big topic that is difficult to explain on an online forum. You are very welcome to attend the info session on the Westhaven Plan in the 19th (please email info@waterfrontauckland.co.nz to RSVP) or to read through the Westhaven Plan documents on the links already provided above.

You will see in this that a great deal of thought has gone into planning for the future interests of berth holders.

Hi all, once again thanks for your feedback. We will attempt to respond to each of the areas that you are concerned about:

I think it's great that you guys are posting here and keeping us informed. :thumbup:

If the requirements of bopaties are your top concern, how come the piles are coming out despite despite only 7 percent of respondents to your questionaire thinking it was a good idea.

The towing of three cars on the weekend

We are sorry that your cars were towed. However, the marina car parking rules are well advertised via signage both on entry and in the carparks themselves and it’s important that we enforce them to ensure that boaties have access to the parks when they need them. In the days when rules were looser, it became much more difficult to get a carpark at all. Like Wild Oats says, the Marina office are very happy to issue temporary carpark permits when needed for situations like this. If you cannot pick them up during business hours you must prearrange them and we will post them to you. If all else fails there are currently no 180 minute restrictions between the marina office and the old launching ramp.

Here is a thought for the Marina management. Something they can do to demonstrate that they have genuine care for the marina users.

[/b]Refund the towing charge to the owners of the three cars that were towed while they were away sailing the Route 66.[/b]

Thanks for your response Westhaven.

I find the parking thing very restrictive. If I decide this afternoon to grab a couple of mates, hit the boat after work for an overnighter 24hr fishing trip. My mates are going to get towed tomorrow by about lunchtime. No way around it.

Perhaps I can grab half a dozen passes, keep them on the boat to issue to crew/guests on an as needed basis? Postage (would take about a week?) and office hours (when most people work their own jobs) just aren't viable solutions.

Thanks for your response Westhaven.

Perhaps I can grab half a dozen passes, keep them on the boat to issue to crew/guests on an as needed basis? Postage (would take about a week?) and office hours (when most people work their own jobs) just aren't viable solutions.

Hey that's a great idea, when you get your passes posted every year include some temp passes with blank dates to be filled in as and when.