Westhaven Happenings

What is going on with car parking at Westhaven

Rocked up this morning to do some boat time and not a effing car park to be had.

WTF I am paying 6k a year for my 0.8 car park per berth and receiving 0.0.

Potentially the Auckland Regatta? Aucklands biggest keelboat regatta which would have 40 or 50 westhavn boats out?

Isnt the 6k a year was for the marina berthage of a boat and associated costs, not for a guaranteed carpark! As much as i can imagine that beeing a pain in the ass

Pork Chop wrote:

Quote:

I give up with the carparks. You Win.

Just had a quick read of the e-newsletter. No more dock hose

What do you mean Gazza?

BYO Dock Hose as they will no longer be provided.

Thats ridiculous... Can someone please explain to me why each boat has to provide its own hose? And what does the user Association say? I havent seen any correspondence on that.

I suppose that includes X pier as well?

Ive taken a wait and see approach with Westhaven for last while, I can see there is some tricky stuff in play, but taking away the hoses to me smacks backroom bureaucracy by some clueless twit….not people dedicated to looking after our marina.

Come on team…..

You are right, it seems like a lot of money for hoses. However, a household hose from a hardware store - as suggested by some as costing around $30 - does not last long outside in the marina environment and needs frequent replacing, which is time consuming and requires handling, transport and storage of hoses.

Even the heavy duty hoses we currently use, deteriorate quickly. You might have noticed the exterior surfaces can get tacky and sticky and this substance adheres to boats too.

If we are honest, most vessels have hoses in them for when they are cruising about - so why not use those - it seems silly to have a double up, and if individuals own their hoses they are more likely to be looked after and kept out of the sunlight

We know of only one other Marina supplying hoses, to us, it seems like a sensible solution to something that is a definite ongoing problem especially in the hot summer months.

We are endeavoring to keep Opex fees as low as possible, as the majority of the feed back we recieve is that the size of Opex fees are too high, hence our moves to cut out unnecessary charges.

From The Team at Westhaven

We have always had to supply our own hoses at GH and for me that's fine. However the marina keeps us sweet on every other level of their operation, so forking out for a new hose every couple of years has never been an issue.

hmmm now we going to get an architecturally designed toilet block. glad to see the priorities are sorted. just flushing toilets would be a start.

Westhaven - Any chance of a response to my query a while back of who has priority at the entrance, pedestrians or marina berth holders? already had a couple of daydreamers wandering through oblivious to the cars turning in

Hi Pottblack, sorry we missed your question earlier.

The footpath is raised to make both drivers and pedestrians aware of the fact it is a crossing. As far as who has right of way, the road code states that when a vehicle is using or leaving a driveway that crosses a footpath, the driver must give way to people using the footpath. This applies on all roads in New Zealand. Of course, the flipside is that pedestrians need to take care and not assume that drivers will stop for them. When the second stage of the Westhaven Promenade is completed, most pedestrians will not need to cross the driveways.

The bathroom renovation will fix the problem with flushing, which we believe is due to the design of the stainless steel pans.

Please let us know if you have any more questions,

The Team at Westhaven

The footpath is raised to make both drivers and pedestrians aware of the fact it is a crossing.

Wouldn't you paint white lines on it like every other crossing in the country? Especially where you've changed it from having always been part of the road...

I'm also not sure about the idea that most of the boats in westhaven already carry their own hose. Mine and all the ones I race on certainly don't... Wonder where this wisdom came from??? I don't remember being asked.

I am not speaking on behalf of the Marina.

A legal Crossing must have white lines. It also must have signs to state there is a crossing ahead and it must have the poles with Orange discs or Lights. At 25m(I might be wrong on the distance) along the road before the crossing, there must be a Diamond. If the car is on or past that Diamond before a pedestrian enters the crossing, the Car has legal right of way. If the Pedestrian is on the crossing before the Vehicle reaches that Diamond, the Pedestrian has legal right of way.

A raised unmarked crossing area is Not a Legal Crossing. It is for convenience of Pedestrians only. Courtesy applies to both parties and Pedestrians do not have any right of way to just walk out in front of Vehicles, however, the Vehicle does not have a right of way to keep moving through Pedestrians either.

The idea is that Pedestrians cross at given points along the road, it is supposed to stop crossing a road at an angle (is that what they call J walking overseas?) Not saying that either works of course. It makes Vehicles slow for safety and also raises the Pedestrian so they are more easily seen.

Nothing since April 2014. Hows this to resurrect the thread......

How many of your crew are happy buying a gate tag at $30ea so that they can go sailing on your boat?

Is this just a money making venture by the marina?  Are they actually trying to discourage people from going sailing?

a.f.u

So, for a boat slut like me ;-) will my $30.00 be coded for all the gates in the marina I need access to?  Currently it's only 'H, G, U, and occasionally V and Y'... and sometimes L... or do I have to pay more?  I'm not the only one either.