Atom Ant racing

nz moth

Today marks another huge mile stone in getting ready for doing the Solo Trans=Tasman yacht race. Atom Ant passed it's Cat 1 inspection with flying colors. This is a huge achievement not only for me but for everyone involved. Thanks to everyone, my sponsors and everyone that has given up their time to help get the yacht to where it is. Tomorrow I start the first part of my challenge. The delivery down to New Plymouth and then the start of the race! To quote my hero, the man that has inspired me to what I am doing today.

"To win, you have to believe you can do it. You have to be passionate about it. You have to really "want" the result - even if this means years of work. The hardest part of any big project is to begin. We have begun - we are underway - we have a passion. We want to make a difference." Sir Peter Blake

Like my page and follow my adventure https://www.facebook.com/AtomAntRacing

Congratulations Cory on your efforts to date. All the very best for a safe and successful trip to New Plymouth then a great race to Mooloolaba. Go the mighty Atom Ant.

Got a text message from Cory at midday to say that he had a rough night getting around the cape (presumably North Cape) & has been going upwind for far too long, but he only has another 200 miles to go to get to New Plymouth. Cory's other comment was that seasickness is a bitch.

Awesome on the Cat 1 Cory, and Good luck with the qualifier! Regarding upwind sailing, I feel your pain after enduring pretty much hard on the wind all the way from Wellington to Auckland in the RNI. You just get sick of it! Go the mighty Ant!

Another text message from Cory at 9 this morning. He still has 200 miles to go and is still on the wind. Sounds like he's had a hard night. Must be tough mentally.

Looks like the wind will slowly go around behind him, but light till Sunday. I once had a beat from BOI, all the way to North Cape, across the top, then all the way to New Plymouth! It can be kind of painfull!

Looks like he should have a lighter wind night tonight.

It's looking light for the poor fella. If it helps tell him in one of the Akl-Waikawa races we took 4 days to get from Akl and to Nth Cape. Looking out the window the weather looks similar.

Had heard (disclaimer: this was second or third hand) that he has been on channel 16 today and wanted to get into Hokianga or Kaipara however was advised both closed and was advised to head out more to sea and try and get some rest.

Sounds like good advice...if anyone's in contact with him some positive encouragement might be a good thing. In a lumpy sea, tired and possibly sea sickness its hard to think with clarity and stay positive. The advantage of technology - can be great in cases like this to help.

The dude's young, and doing it. Hope he gets some rest and is okay, got lots of respect for him.

Cory is running low on diesel and is worried about his ability to charge batteries etc and is flopping about with little wind, still 150 miles or so from New Plymouth. He could do with some words of encouragement and support. I gather he's starting to stress about timelines and getting to New Plymouth.

If you'd like to send a text to his satellite phone, drop me a pm and I'll give you his number.

Updates anyone?

Cory is -

A - Nearly there

B - Still a long way to go

C - Approaching Lord Howe

D - Gone serious cruz mode and is 1/2 pissed stretched out in the cockpit working on his tan

E - Been abducted by the alien equivalent of the Swedish Bikini Team?

Hopefully he wasn't too close to the coast as there should be a nice northerly filling in (according to predict wind). Does he have a tracker? If not someone PM me, I have one he can borrow.

From Facebook this morning from a source that can not be named

Just talked to Cory - Atom Ant Racing is 90nm from New Plymouth, nearing the end of his 500 mile qualifying passage. Sounds like a tough trip with little wind, but he sounds in good spirits.
From Facebook this morning from a source that can not be named
Just talked to Cory - Atom Ant Racing is 90nm from New Plymouth, nearing the end of his 500 mile qualifying passage. Sounds like a tough trip with little wind, but he sounds in good spirits.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Text message around 2am this morning confirmed Atom Ant in New Plymouth safe & well. :thumbup:

Try Stugeron for sea sick.It should bring you right even when you're crook.Put it under your tongue and let it dissolve.Doesn't usually make you drowsy.Only drag is you have to order it fron UK.Takes about 10 days to get here.Best wishes for your adventure.

Archived