What were you doing when you were 19?

Changed

From Cory's Facebook page.

Today marks another huge mile stone in getting ready for doing the Solo Trans=Tasman yacht race. Atom Ant passed it's Cat 1 inspection with flying colours. This is a huge achievement not only for me but for everyone involved. Thanks to everyone, my sponsors and everyone that has given up their time to help get the yacht to where it is. Tomorrow I start the first part of my challenge. The delivery down to New Plymouth and then the start of the race! To quote my hero, the man that has inspired me to what I am doing today.

"To win, you have to believe you can do it. You have to be passionate about it. You have to really "want" the result - even if this means years of work. The hardest part of any big project is to begin. We have begun - we are underway - we have a passion. We want to make a difference." Sir Peter Blake.

Cory.jpg

My neice copied this onto FB today. I liked it.

It’s a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you are ready.

I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything.

There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. So you may as well do it now.

Generally speaking now is as good a time as any.

Atom Ant 2.jpg

Do it now....

DO IT NOW !

Older people become wise, they spend their time planning, they study. They look to financial security. A few go.

Most come back.

A life time of work. A few months of something that is often just a pretend joy. A last ditch box ticked.....but the bones hurt, the phone calls from kids come in, the journeys end has a date..

Three years.....and a six month something...

The boat sits at the marina...it goes for a few trips after....

day sails...then reality causes the sale.....

'''''''''''

:) Please...dont have doubts. GO now.

If it dosnt work, blame this nut bag on the internet...at least you will have a chance to do something else later, instead of staring at your boat ....cleaning it...having the grand kids for a night....

The truth is, for all the boats, for all the people, for all the plans and dreams...very few actually do.

Some might say that sailing is safer than flying at the moment.

I am sure most of the people who thought we were crazy/unsafe etc sailing around the world would get on a plane without a second thought.

My husband is also joining the solo race across the Tasman...leaving Auckland today. A few years difference in age ...40 odd!!! But the sea is a good leveller. :thumbup:

If you have a dream follow it many people cannot figure out when enough money is enough and when they do it is too late.

Interestingly, pretty much everyone who has done stuff like this says "Go".

IMO you are never ready, it's never financially sensible (for almost everyone). If you have dreamed about something, Go, do it now! You never know how long you have got...

Apart from preset plans, the most common reasons for cruisers returning home was health, family (incl family health issues), financial or death! Many cruisers are getting on in years. Unfortunately several cruisers we met on or wanderings are no longer with us. Not all were over 65.....

The Solo Tasman was great fun, I'm sure the 2 sailors mentioned above will have a great time!

Jean, what boat is your husbands?

There's always a reason not to do things. There's always an excuse for delaying things, but the hardest part is to do it anyway. You just have to throw off the dock lines and sail (which is rich coming from someone who wants to be out there but is currently making excuses for not being out there). :)

I would like to quote every post here.

So much wisdom.

What a pity a shoe company stole "just do it"

Good luck to all involved, everyone else is jealous.

Got a text from Cory at 1:30 this morning to say that he was at the Bay of Islands and continuing northward on his delivery voyage to New Plymouth. The nowcasting suggests he has a moderate SSW breeze to help him northward but forecasts suggest he'll have to deal with that SSW breeze once he gets over the top and heads southward again.

at 19 i was racing motorbikes....yachts weren't fast enough...!!!

on another note i see that knot me is no longer in the entry list for the race. job list just got tooooooo big i guess?..

an this is me making excuses ... for the most part i have the boat ready and its set up for this sort of race ... but with house and family

commitments financially .. there is not really any option to do the race this time around... and its 4 years till the next one...!!

late entries have closed now too

Nobody dies saying "I should have spent more time in the office!"

The Solo Tasman can be done with a month off work....

No criticism intended, I was once where you are Oracle1!

Just saying no time like the present.

I looked at it seriously this time around but the $$$$ got the better of me. When it got up around $2000 per day to go sailing I bailed and made another payment on the boat instead. Maybe next time - or I may have already left to go cruising.

To answer the question at 19 I had done Whangarei- Noumea and was preparing to do Akl - Suva.

I guess the big challenge is in campaigning your own boat as opposed to crewing on someone else's. Cory has done most of the preparation himself and in the process has managed to inspire a loyal and generous group of sponsors, and mentors, who have given him amazing support in product and time.

I guess the big challenge is in campaigning your own boat as opposed to crewing on someone else's. Cory has done most of the preparation himself and in the process has managed to inspire a loyal and generous group of sponsors, and mentors, who have given him amazing support in product and time.

And that may be a more valuable experience than the race itself. Good on Cory. Love his attitude. Obviously others do as well!

I happen to think he has an awesome boat to do it in too! When I met Cory I was inspired by his enthusiasm, and I knew he and the Ant were destined for each other even if just for a short time - who knows! He is doing with the Ant, what it was designed to do and I wish him all the best with it.

GO THE MIGHTY ANT :thumbup:

yes i really hear you, thats why for me to not be out there is hard to bear....

financially this house of ours has cost a whole heap more than we expected but if we sell well still of doubled our money.. and thats a lot of money.... but doesn't help me do races such as mooloolaba. this time i had to reign for the first time in my 40years of doing projects such as moloolaba and put the finances and family first. after all putting myself in the place to be NZ champion in motorcycle roadracing when i was younger didn't come cheaply...i just have to be contended in that 99% of the time i am that person out there doing it.!! what ever adventure it is i decide is important at the time.

I don't know this guy but I am proud of him, plenty of people talk about it, most never do it, going offshore that is. I've done it plenty of times fully crewed and its a tough business.

Best of luck mate I will be watching your progress.

By the way, he is either a sail maker or a boxer.............judging by the look of his hands.

Archived