AKL--Tauranga at easter

Duty Free

Berenice is going fully crewed, just waiting on Tony Thornburrow to piece together what is left of our No.1 genoa. Surely we are due some decent weather for this one. A westerly around 20 knots would be good.

Entries are looking good at this early stage with about 10 entries confirmed, they should be up on the TYPBC website shortly http://www.yacht.org.nz

Notable entries are the 2 Elliott 35ss, it will be a great contest between these two!

Giacomo is competing, so the race record of 9 hrs 35 mins held by Zana since 2005.

Several 50 ftrs have expressed interest - the V5 crew have been called to arms.

Shorthanded yachts don't seem to be prominent so far but we will be catering for them, also.

I haven't entered Fast Lane yet, but will soon once Cat 3 is met.

Any more queries welcome,

cheers Andy

I know of two good boats doing the race and are looking for experienced crew. People able to add grunt to the cockpit / trim would be welcome. I can vouch for both boats and owners.

Race only, no need to do the delivery home.

Ring me for details if interested.

Jono Gravit

0274 754 169

Updated Entries

Open Country

Lawless

Duty Free

Crusader35

Akatea

Champosa VII

Day Dream

Bushido

Cotton Blossom

Berenice

Arethusa

Voodoo Lounge

Smudge

Lynx

Frenzy

Force Eleven

Quicksilver

good quality with the 50 ftrs + Giacomo to come.

WOO-HOO. Go SMUDGE, all-female entry supported by Women's Yacht Racing New Zealand. A massive effort on the part of Skipper Rhonda Ritchie and crew of 5 to upgrade the boat, raise funds for the race, log preparatory sea miles and do what's needed. Sail fast and safe Rhonda, Leslie, Jackie, Delwyn, Laura and Aimee.

10 years ago, April 8th 2004 we broke the Auckland to Tauranga multihull race record on Sundreamer which still stands today. On the same day my son took my Ferrari and crashed it and a dear client and friend Bill Mahon was tragically killed setting up the Superloop at the Easter Show. Bittersweet day

Sundreamer's crew was Me, Matty Hart, Bill Barry, Robert Shaw, the late Bruce Williamson and Bill's in-law David? We hit 30.6 knots in a huge blow that had us all cowering in the back, too scared to go forward to even take down the jib while we gybed our way down the coast under full main and gennaker in the dark. At the finish Rex McCamish crossed behind us in McMoggy only a minute behind, we hadn't seen him since Slipper Island. Zana, the maxi had held us out flat running and was about 15 minutes ahead. This is a picture of us motoring in that was in the local paper, or trying too, the engine air lines were flooded like pretty much everything else.

This year I'll be driving from New Orleans to New York via Florida......

post-12703-141887265112.jpg

Good to hear the stories from the past, even though it was bittersweet. McMoggy was pretty quick too for a cruiser looking cat it seems. It must have been exciting on Sundreamer when it was cranking at 30 knots!!

I thought a cat (Attitude) broke the multihull record later maybe 2009 when the fleet was hit by a squall that flipped Catabatic?

So given Phill is driving around in the states...

I need a lift back from Tauranga - any other Aucklanders driving back with a bit of space.

OR

Any Auckland boats that are heading back up on Saturday who want some casual crew?

I thought a cat (Attitude) broke the multihull record later maybe 2009 when the fleet was hit by a squall that flipped Catabatic?

Broke the small multihull record but fell short of the overall multihull record. McMoggy was an amazing boat but Rex also knew how to drive it hard. They got ahead of us at Slipper when it was still relatively light and dead astern but then the wind just built and built until we really had no idea how we were going to get the sails down once we got to the Mount

So given Phill is driving around in the states...

I need a lift back from Tauranga - any other Aucklanders driving back with a bit of space.

OR

Any Auckland boats that are heading back up on Saturday who want some casual crew?

Dammit, Friday. Any boats turning round and heading up on Friday? (or Sat, but I'd like to be be back Sat.)

Thanks for clearing that up Phil, I was on Ballistic in 2009 when the fleet was hit by a big squall, we were in the Colville Point area and all boats behind us started broaching. We quickly pulled down the spinnaker (doing a nice 18 or so knots) just in time, when it hit the boat erupted down wind towards Cuvier Is. with all the crew behind the helmsman - exciting!! We survived but Catabatic flipped unfortunately.

There must be someone going back on Friday or Sat to help Dambo out with a ride??

Latest confirmed entries:

Open Country

Lawless

Duty Free

Crusader35

Akatea

Champosa VII

Daydream

Bushido

Cotton Blossom

Berenice

Arethusa

Voodoo Lounge

Smudge

Lynx

Frenzy

Force Eleven

Quicksilver

Sabian

La Rochelle

Andar

Fast Lane

Squealer

Charleston

General Jackson

Wow, looking at MetVUW there is a big low to the west bringing northerly type winds, it will probably change before race start but this one could be "the one"

More entries confirmed:

Open Country

Lawless

Duty Free

Crusader35

Akatea

Champosa VII

Daydream

Bushido

Cotton Blossom II

Berenice

Arethusa