Solo Tasman

Island Time

The skippers must be please with the last couple of days of good push on home weather. The Tri in later today by the looks.

Some of the boats seem to be a bit slow considering the weather, as it is stated by yellowbrick. I would have expected faster with 20kts over the aft 1/4. Looks as if Corys AP issues maybe hammering his speed, that's a bummer.

Looking forward to seeing how the C40's pan out. YB has only a 11nm difference in NM to run.

Looking forward to seeing how the C40's pan out. YB has only a 11nm difference in NM to run.

Nice to see the Nicholson 55 giving them the hurry up too. Despite being 55ft LOA its only about 40ft on the waterline so it's a fair fight!

I missed the last couple of days - been out sailing!

Good to catch up again. Looks to me that Steve (Nitro) has a problem as well as AA. Both appear they should be faster if the windspeed/dir is correct. Hupane catching Nitro with a 50% speed advantage in what is reported the same winds.... can't be right.

Reece (Krakatoa) has done well so far, but I'm not really liking his position now, wind to back and lighten, the front part of the fleet now having to work through the EAC for the rest of the trip....

Interesting this year no one is far north of track - I guess the conditions they have had, but it makes it harder to cross the EAC well - I finished in a 35Knt SE last time, so that certainly helped counter the current.

This year, there is a good eddy that can be used - lets see if anyone gets it right!

See http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/ocean/surface/currents/orthographic=-207.00,-27.25,2048

Remember most won't have access to this, but to have it now is a huge advantage - you can get a ride in this eddy, rather than fight the current! The fast bits are over 1.5 m/sec in that area today.

Met Peter Gedes(Outside Edge) whilst he was here in Nelson tried to set-up his Sat Phone to talk to his Laptop. But had a panicked call day before the race to say it wasn't working. Looks like he must be getting good weather info tho , as he's only 30-40 miles or so adrift of the two Classe 40's pretty impressive for a Y11 after 1000 miles of racing.

Peter has fished off the east coast half his life so prob has a good idea about what to do to avoid the worst of it.

Atom Ant I'd guess will be limping with only a back-up tiller pilot, under headsail only @ 4.8kts?

I'd just like to point out that the 2 class 40's are quite different. Reece's is a Pogo, Grahame's an Verdier class 40. The Verdier should be considerably faster....

The Verdier should be considerably faster....

Yep should be a lot quicker the Pogo is a version 1 which does not go to windward well compared with current generation boats. Even the Verdier compared to current boats is slower so it's great to see some development in the Class 40 racing.

My plan is to do it next time round. I can't wait. This year it was just too tight to get things ready in time.

The Classe 40's are a lot different, was aware Daltons was a much newer generation. But the Y11 was pretty close to them both this morning. But looks like Daltons Huapane is not up-dating the tracker, which would account for his position not being correct. Might be Krakatoa isn't first mono-hull by now?

looks like the tri has around 6 hr 50 to break the record if he can finish by 2150 nz time tonight,?69 nm to go, :thumbup: possible if he can keep over 10 kts, pretty good effort given it has hardly been ideal conditions.

Well done that Tri. Record snatching is always fun.

The big question is yet to be answered, which will it be Rhys, Graham, Oli or will the surprise dark horse, Peter on the Y11 pop up and spoil the others party?

In the meantime why YB showing Cory sailing towards NZ?... no scratch that, now heading back at aussie. AP issues still I'm guessing. That's got to be a right bitch for the young fella.

Unfortunately his AP is a new replacement! Shows how much you need to invest to get a really reliable one. His is claimed to be spec'd for a 40 footer. Apparently he can't get pore to his back up TP and likely to fatigued to think the circuits through. 600 miles is a long way to steer by hand. I an assuming that 2.1 knots means that he is having a rest.

Indeed,

WELL DONE REINI!!

Cory having a tough time! What type of AP does he have?

I too had a AP problem in the middle of the Tasman, but fortunately for me it was an easy fix (hydraulic hose came loose, pumped all the fluid out). For a while I was thinking *&^%! 600 miles with no AP!! I know what he must be feeling. There comes a time when the race is secondary to getting enough sleep and getting in safely.... It's not always fun.

Front part of the fleet due in in next 24 hours. Be very interesting to see who is next. Fast times this year, first mono's around 9 days last time...

Archived